AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: marsa on February 14, 2010, 04:32:51 AM

Title: Altitude question
Post by: marsa on February 14, 2010, 04:32:51 AM
Greetings,
Just wondering if it's normal for RB altitudes to be off when it's under 10K.  From the ground to about 10k the readings are about 2300' off.  I have the transition altitude at 9999' and the QNH at 1100.  When I try 800 I get negative altitudes.  Thanks.
Title: Re: Altitude question
Post by: DaveReid on February 14, 2010, 07:26:43 AM
Quote from: marsa on February 14, 2010, 04:32:51 AM
Just wondering if it's normal for RB altitudes to be off when it's under 10K.  From the ground to about 10k the readings are about 2300' off.  I have the transition altitude at 9999' and the QNH at 1100.  When I try 800 I get negative altitudes.

Why is the QNH 1100 ?  Has that been set automatically from a METAR, or did you set it yourself ?

It seems very high for most parts of the world.
Title: Re: Altitude question
Post by: dca on February 14, 2010, 08:28:56 PM
1013 is the standard QNH setting in use around the world.
Title: Re: Altitude question
Post by: TelaRadar on February 15, 2010, 11:41:14 AM
Agreed. 1013 is set by default.
Title: Re: Altitude question
Post by: tarbat on February 15, 2010, 11:58:37 AM
Although better to use the local QNH, by setting your local airfield in the SmartView tab, and tick Autoset QNH.
Title: Re: Altitude question
Post by: marsa on February 17, 2010, 02:42:47 AM
I was setting QNH in the RB preferences section.  Thanks Tarbat.  I just set it up in smartview.  I'll have to wait for a UPS departure or KC-10 touch and goes to test it.  Thanks again.
Brad
Title: Re: Altitude question
Post by: marsa on February 17, 2010, 03:10:04 AM
Confirmed that it works already.  Forgot about arrivals.  Duhhhhh.