In the continuation of an informative relation we have with all our users based on respect and mutual interest, we explain below the current point of situation regarding V1.4 development.
We want the best for our customers and we want RadarBox to continue to grow week after week which has happened since it was released. Please keep all suggestions coming as we always save them on a wish list. Most of product developments (for all AirNav systems projects) are based on user suggestions.
Six main tasks for V1.4:
a) Stop using memory tables (a specific programming tool) for sharing data and use SQLite instead: Done (the application loads faster, is more robust and navigation databases can now easily be edited outside RadarBox).
b) Stop the memory leak that happens with a few users and requires a daily software restart in very busy areas and limit memory usage to no more than 70
Mbytes: Done (the application will rarely need more than 70 Mbytes to run which is great for such a complex software).
c) Develop new MyLog feature: Done (totally based on SQLite technology you can even automatically import your old SBS-1 databases into RadarBox).
d) Sharing data in SBS-1 format: Done (you will be able to use all the popular SBS-1 addons with RadarBox too).
e) Add other user requested features (eg Alert on Squawk, execute a file/run a program when an alert triggers, populate button for MyLog, pan map with active flights) : Done.
f) Test under severe/busy reception conditions: done but still with some problems. With
2000 msgs per second (usually on busy areas no one would get more than 700 msgs per second but we need to test with 2x busier conditions) application freezes on 25% of the computers tested after 4 hours usage but ONLY IN EXTREMELY SEVERE conditions. Why is this? Because of some graphical functions and the way flight data is currently stored. We are now changing the way flight data is stored and change it to a much simpler and faster solution.
We have our 2 most experienced programmers working on this daily. After work is done testing will continue and after that V1.4 (actually it should be named V2.0) will finally be released.
Hope you find it useful. Be sure our company is devoted to have happy users so we will do anything possible to adapt RadarBox to everyone's needs. You will never see anyone from our team advertising or promoting a feature that we know couldn't be delivered.
You will be amazed with the ideas we have in mind for 2008 that will start to be developed after V1.4 is out.
cool
Okey. Good communication.
Regarding f) that is probably already a problem in the current version.
V2.0 sounds good given the amount of work you guys have done. So keep it up and get it ready before the end of this month!
Hi,
So i understand better the "test period", changing database type is not
a small job .... and test procedure are more longer.
Thank you for your explications and the transparency of the informations.
don't worry whe have so, a lot of idea for 2008 and thank you for your job.
Patrick / F6GSG
Okay,
Very clear, gives us a good insight on how you are progressing with
version 1.4.
And I for one will happely wait until march for work to be completed
if it gives us all the new features we can read about in the new manual.
Good luck,
Regards,
Marinus,
Could you please discuss the SBS 'add-ons' mentioned above in 'd.' - their source, cost, what they do/don't do and any other relevant details.
I suspect that like many I took a while to make up my mind whether to buy RadarBox or SBS and 'add-ons' somehow passed me by.
Many thanks
Brian L.
I've tried to use the GAS SBS-1 Populate for the SQB file but it dosent seem to work with RB is that a fault my end or are the 2 not compatable ??
I did change the settings to the RB by the way.
Any further list of SBS style add ons that could be used would be very helpful
Thanks
It is quite simple: there is an option now on AirNav RadarBox that activates the data sharing in SBS compatible format: in other words RadarBox can now output flight data exactly like SBS does. This enables any RadarBox user to use any of the very popular SBS addons with AirNav RadarBox.
As you may know one of the biggest differences between RadarBox and SBS is that our software comes full of features (MyLog, Polar Diagram, Alerts, etc). Basestation is a very simple software, almost a grid+map and if you would like all of those additional features you have to use separate addons. Some of them became very popular and there are lots of them available. As we want our users to fully enjoy this hobby and to continue to use them, we have added this capability.
Quote from: b744 on February 07, 2008, 03:11:55 PM
I've tried to use the GAS SBS-1 Populate for the SQB file but it dosent seem to work with RB is that a fault my end or are the 2 not compatable ??
I did change the settings to the RB by the way.
Any further list of SBS style add ons that could be used would be very helpful
Thanks
Are you talking about V1.3 or V1.4?
RadarBox uses the GAS database to automatically populate the database - and with V1.4 you have the option to do this also from the MyLog/Tools/Populate option.
You don't need to use the GAS SBS Populate program.
Think I've got ahead of myself...v1.3. Reading the op manual relating to 1.4 hence my confusion.
One week? :)
Next december is comin' nearer... ;)
Santa
:) It won't be that late. We promise.
Quote from: Allocator on February 07, 2008, 03:22:11 PMRadarBox uses the GAS database to automatically populate the database - and with V1.4 you have the option to do this also from the MyLog/Tools/Populate option.
Hi,
I did hope so but by me this does not work as you suggest. See for exemple KLM Boeing 737 PH-BXW.
It is in the GAS database for a while but it is (until sofar) NOT in the Radarbox Aircraft Database "automaticly" added.
Quote from: John Racars on February 21, 2008, 04:43:46 PM
Quote from: Allocator on February 07, 2008, 03:22:11 PMRadarBox uses the GAS database to automatically populate the database - and with V1.4 you have the option to do this also from the MyLog/Tools/Populate option.
Hi,
I did hope so but by me this does not work as you suggest. See for exemple KLM Boeing 737 PH-BXW.
It is in the GAS database for a while but it is (until sofar) NOT in the Radarbox Aircraft Database "automaticly" added.
John,
Are you using V1.3 or V1.4?
If you recall, there are issues with V1.3 and the 1 or 2 photo download selection. If there is a single photo download is selected, or if there is one photo of the aircraft in your photo directory - then the GAS populate doesn't try to populate "over" the information you already have. I don't check every aircraft that doesn't populate, so I don't know if there are specific errors for certain aircraft. I'll check to see if I have PH-BXW in my database.
Also, you can manually update the database in both V1.3 and 1.4
all the best
Allocator
Quote from: Allocator on February 21, 2008, 04:54:28 PMAre you using V1.3 or V1.4?
Hi Allocator,
Thank you for your fast reaction! But I must have missed really some important thing. Is version 1.4 already available for use? Please give me the link and I will install it immediately.
BTW I am using version 1.3 until sofar.
John,
I'm a beta tester for V1.4 which is due to be released very soon - I was just checking what version you have.
I haven't picked up PH-BXW, although I have picked up most of the aircraft in the series.
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3063/2281453429_477929e369.jpg)
Click the link below for a full size version on MyLog V1.4 to see the aircraft.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3063/2281453429_ea960fec88_o.jpg
To overcome your problem with PH-BXW not populating, look in your AirNav RadarBox 2007/Data/Photo directory and see if you have either of these 2 files:
PH-BXW.jpg
PH-BXW,2.jpg
If you only have the one file PH-BXW.jpg then delete it.
Next, make sure that you have "Download 2 photos" selected in the preferences menu.
Next time you detect PH-BXW either live or on the network, then the record for that aircraft should be populated and 2 aircraft photos will be downloaded.
John,
Further ot my last message, I don't think that the autopopulate is working a the moment. Sometimes it does stop working to to loading on the GAS server.
AirNav Support, don't know if you can check this?
Thanks
Allocator
Quote from: Allocator on February 21, 2008, 06:39:49 PMFurther ot my last message, I don't think that the autopopulate is working a the moment. Sometimes it does stop working to to loading on the GAS server.
AirNav Support, don't know if you can check this?
I don't think autopopulate has been working for days :(
I emailed AirNav support again this morning about this problem, but no reply.
Here's my email to them:
QuoteHas there been any progress made on this problem. I'm still seeing lots of aircraft not autopopulating. For example, over the last 16 hours, out of 160 aircraft, 17 have no registration. I've checked some of these, and they have details on GAS.
45D2EF, 32C2F1, 40132F, 89610C, 896004, 40128A, 32C078, 400825, A02141, 47340E, 40134B, 4CC0DD, 401122, 4BCEBA, A77706, 43C054, 43C028.
Is this likely to be resolved soon? If not, can I beta test v1.4 so that I can workaround this problem.
This is getting quite frustrating, since it always seems to be the most interesting aircraft that don't get registrations and photos, even though I know they exist on GAS and airliners.net.
This is almost certainly a GAS server problem Tarbat. It's much the same as the AirNav ACARS Decoder if you use that - it is dependant on the Internet servers being up to provide the data.
I don't know how the GAS server works, but the loading could still be down to the SBS users populating their logos.
Did you email Support direct as they issue a job number and they always get back to me.
[email protected]
Quote from: Allocator on February 21, 2008, 06:03:21 PMPH-BXW.jpg
PH-BXW,2.jpg
If you only have the one file PH-BXW.jpg then delete it.
Next, make sure that you have "Download 2 photos" selected in the preferences menu.
Allocator,
Thanks again!
Both files are NOT there so there is nothing to delete I think.
"Download 2 photos" option in the preferencesmenu is selected all the time I use version 1.3
Quote from: Allocator on February 21, 2008, 07:06:41 PM
Did you email Support direct as they issue a job number and they always get back to me.
Yes, I emailed
[email protected]. Ref number is 41010. I originally emailed them 9 days ago when they asked me to send details. At that time they said they would do some testing. I'd heard nothing since then, so emailed them again this morning.
My guess is that I'm getting a high percentage of autopopulate failures because of where I'm located. I'm guessing that many of the RAF, Loganair, etc.. aircraft haven't been detected by other Radarbox users before now.
if they're UK reg civil they'll all be known, if not by GAS then surely by using G-INFO.
As for the mil stuff alot is tied up but its a slow process. Check out;
[email protected]this deals with all sorts of tie ups and is both the source of great new info but also where to contribute and add your tie ups from the "far North"
GAS has been working today but its relationship with the RB for updates has always,from my personal experience, been variable at best.
You will probably be picking up very few "new" contacts that are not reported on Mode-s but go and have a look.
Just to add its mode-s not SBS or Radarbox so all info very much welcomed.
Rgds
We endeavour to get back to queries within 24hours. Sometimes much much quicker as the forum shows but depends on the actual query and how busy we are.
We did get back to Tarbat when you send the 1st email that we suspected a load issue. We are still investigating this to what it is being caused by and what has changed in the last few weeks as we haven't had any issue about this before.
Please bear with us, 1.4 seems to get rid of this issue so we are just looking at the server side to see if there are any issues there.
What is the current "point of situation" ??
What is the latest target date release ??
Okay, thanks for the explanation, and the email reply a couple of minutes ago. At least I know this is still being investigated.
Maybe it's just that I'm a new Radarbox owner, and this autopopulating has never worked for me properly since getting my Radarbox a couple of weeks ago, so it seemed strange to me that the problem had never been encountered before.
Isn't Allocator getting the same problem in v1.4, which would suggest a server side problem.
b744,
At the moment were in a phase of "stress" testing. The software is being left running and we are watching it carefully that it doesn't do anything abnormall So far things look great. Once it passes that we should be very close to a public beta if not release.
tarbat,
There are different versions of 1.4 floating around, so we are just looking at the versions we are have running (latest builds)
Yes, I don't think that I'm getting anything autopopulated at the moment - it was working fine a couple of days ago.
One of the problems that I do have, is that almost all of my traffic is populated anyway, so unless I can be bothered to go to the GAS website and do a manual search, it's not always obvious the autopop isn't working.
Quote from: AirNav Support on February 21, 2008, 08:47:05 PM
Once it passes that we should be very close to a public beta if not release.
:) :) :)
Quote from: Allocator on February 21, 2008, 08:47:17 PM
One of the problems that I do have, is that almost all of my traffic is populated anyway, so unless I can be bothered to go to the GAS website and do a manual search, it's not always obvious the autopop isn't working.
Yes, I have the opposite problem!!! I haven't owned my RB long enough for autopopulate to have done it's job. Whenever a missing reg. appears in RB I type the ModeS code into SBSPopulate to get the details, but there's no easy way to paste the information back into RB and get photos to download.
I do hope Airnav are beta testing autopopulate for a user in my situation, new to Radarbox and so probably putting more of a strain on the servers than other, longer term users.
Your unit should look at the Airnav servers and airnav servers looks at GAS not you.
Regards
Understood. But I'm guessing that my RB unit is receiving aircraft that aren't on the Airnav servers yet. So the Airnav server then has to go to the GAS server to get details, and pass those on to me.
All guesswork of course, I don't know how the process works. I'm just guessing that all the RAF Kinloss aircraft and Loganair regional services I get up here haven't appeared for other RB users before, since nobody else is based this far north.
Quote from: tarbat on February 21, 2008, 09:33:56 PM
Understood. But I'm guessing that my RB unit is receiving aircraft that aren't on the Airnav servers yet. So the Airnav server then has to go to the GAS server to get details, and pass those on to me.
Correct I sometimes find that I see an aircraft I have not seen before and it refuses to appear then 2 days later I see the same aircraft with all details so it may be the Airnav servers poll in batches I do not know one for Airnav support!
Regards
Quote from: tarbat on February 21, 2008, 09:06:47 PM
Yes, I have the opposite problem!!! I haven't owned my RB long enough for autopopulate to have done it's job. Whenever a missing reg. appears in RB I type the ModeS code into SBSPopulate to get the details, but there's no easy way to paste the information back into RB and get photos to download.
I do hope Airnav are beta testing autopopulate for a user in my situation, new to Radarbox and so probably putting more of a strain on the servers than other, longer term users.
I know that it doesn't help you at the moment, but I'm using the free SQLite Database Browser whilst RadarBox is running to do manual edits to the V1.4 SQL database. It seems to run OK alongside RadarBox and it's simple to do a quick ModeS search to make sure I don't have the details in the database before adding a new record. I then manually download 2 thumbnails from Airliners.net or similar and save them using registration.jpg and registration,2.jpg
http://sqlitebrowser.sourceforge.net/
(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3119/2281863037_79ec0b31c6.jpg)
Hi All,
I have still an other question.
From which databases do I have to make a backup to be sure I will loss no data, p.e. my route-database in which I made thousands op additions in the time until sofar I am a RadarBox user.
In other words: from which *.dab and or *.dat file should I make a backup to save all the, verry much time and work, I put in my Routedatabase?
Thank you in advance for your answer(s).
Airnav, any update on V1.4?
thanks M
Quote from: marcdeklerk on February 29, 2008, 04:39:21 PM
Airnav, any update on V1.4?
thanks M
I would guess VERY close :-)
Indeed very close, fingers crossed we are a handfull of days away from release.
Quote from: AirNav Support on February 29, 2008, 04:56:28 PM
Indeed very close, fingers crossed were a handfull of days away from release.
Start counting :) 5!
4!
Doro,
You know that a watched kettle never boils......... :-)
Ladies and Gentleman,
Seen by the iminente arrival of the version 1.4 please get back to your seat
close the tablet and attach your belt.
Please also switch off any electronic device
Thank you for your attention.
.....
i am ready
Patrick / F6GSG
Quote from: Roadrunner on March 01, 2008, 11:04:56 AM
Doro,
You know that a watched kettle never boils......... :-)
Okey ;)
[n]
1.399999999 ;)
its 9:10 PM in switzerland .... ;)
Still waiting fingers crossed. Have just bought the Airnav box but a bit loath to install the 1.3 software with 1.4 so close