AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Screenshots => Topic started by: NF2G on March 17, 2010, 08:50:22 PM

Title: Antenna coverage comparison
Post by: NF2G on March 17, 2010, 08:50:22 PM
The RadarBox documentation advises against long coax feeds to rooftop antennas due to likely signal loss in the cable (unless you use hardline).  I compiled a polar plot map with the supplied magnet mount antenna sitting on top of a curtain rod in my 1-storey house.  Then I connected the RadarBox to my multicoupler, which is fed by a discone at 30 feet above ground level using about 70 feet of Belden 9913 cable.  (The antenna is at the far end of the house.)

The upper screen shot shows the polar plot for the original antenna.  The lower shot is the plot for the discone on the tower.  While there was some improvement in coverage in a couple of directions, the overall effect is not large.  This is probably because of coaxial cable losses.

Title: Re: Antenna coverage comparison
Post by: NF2G on March 22, 2010, 03:14:46 PM
The rooftop antenna didn't make much difference due to cable losses, but changing windows was another story.

The previous polar map was made with the supplied antenna on the curtain rod over my south-facing window.  The one below is with the antenna over my east-facing window - much worse!

Title: Re: Antenna coverage comparison
Post by: CZUL on July 01, 2010, 06:22:28 PM
Hi

I currently have my RB antenna ( supplied SBS-1 antenna) about 60ft up. Cable run is quite long almost 90ft. Reception is fantastic. I see you are near Albany. I'm the Montreal feeder. I see your coverage over network. Looks really good from here.

CZUL
Title: Re: Antenna coverage comparison
Post by: naird on July 03, 2010, 12:13:36 AM
Great job CYUL  nice coverage paul. NF2G I'll send a screen shot from Kingston, I enjoy your coverage.



Neil

Title: Re: Antenna coverage comparison
Post by: naird on July 03, 2010, 12:15:25 AM
here's the screen shot (//)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: Antenna coverage comparison
Post by: viking9 on July 03, 2010, 07:18:57 AM
Quote from: NF2G on March 17, 2010, 08:50:22 PM
Then I connected the RadarBox to my multicoupler, which is fed by a discone at 30 feet above ground level using about 70 feet of Belden 9913 cable.  (The antenna is at the far end of the house.)

I aasume your discone has a wide frequency range. An antenna cut for 1090MHz is necessary for max range.

Tom




Title: Re: Antenna coverage comparison
Post by: pure3000 on July 03, 2010, 10:31:55 AM
just wondered, has anyone constructed a dipole for 1090mhz to see the results?