Hi
http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/E0E50D54-8A9E-4F21-9AC4-102A1453308F/0/ServiceInquiry_TutorAircraft_Part_1_5_Causes.pdf
See para 6 i of the above document. I had the benifit of see the postion of 6 or so Tutors on a PC the other day. DGPS data. How does this work? I am assured it is not Mode S and we can all confirm that.
Dudley
Quote from: dudbaker on April 15, 2010, 03:01:30 PMhttp://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/E0E50D54-8A9E-4F21-9AC4-102A1453308F/0/ServiceInquiry_TutorAircraft_Part_1_5_Causes.pdf
See para 6 i of the above document. I had the benifit of see the postion of 6 or so Tutors on a PC the other day. DGPS data. How does this work? I am assured it is not Mode S and we can all confirm that.
Reading between the lines, it would appear to be pretty well the same technology as ADS-B except that, as you say, the datalink is something other than Mode S.
Quite why the military has seen fit to put an incompatible system on board training aircraft when ADS-B kit is widely available beats me.
Dave
Agreed. Be nice to tap into it though. The guy running it said it was out of date so we see mode S with ADS-B latter.
Dudley
The Army Air Corps has operated light aircraft for some 70 years in densely populated training areas and close to the ground and I cannot remember a mid-air (though that's not to say there has never been the odd one).
A light aircraft is a 'seat of the pants and Mk1 eyball' machine with the emphasis on looking out of the cockpit not looking in. Light aircraft on training and air experience tend not to fly straight and level for very long so a good lookout is absolutely vital.
Quote from: dudbaker on April 15, 2010, 03:59:18 PM
Dave
Agreed. Be nice to tap into it though. The guy running it said it was out of date so we see mode S latter.
Dudley
They already have mode-s.