AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: gleff on April 16, 2010, 05:45:58 PM

Title: Is 1.8dB loss really bad?
Post by: gleff on April 16, 2010, 05:45:58 PM
I'm buying a Window Gap Jumper that has a 1.8dB loss at 900-1300MHz. 

For any of you that know about this kind of thing, is that going to be significant?

Am I going to notice a lot less aircraft/signal etc?
Title: Re: Is 1.8dB loss really bad?
Post by: Dean on April 16, 2010, 06:14:49 PM
-3db = 1/2 your signal gone. dB's are logarithmic and I don't have a calc for 1.8dB.

As to whether you'll notice - that depend on how much signal you have before the loss insertion. If you get one put it as near the antenna as possible.
Title: Re: Is 1.8dB loss really bad?
Post by: gleff on April 16, 2010, 06:17:08 PM
ok thanks..  will do.

Assuming I just used the calculator correctly, I can expect about a 25% loss.

I guess we'll have to try it and see.