AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: bratters on April 19, 2010, 07:47:08 AM

Title: Advice needed on external aerial please
Post by: bratters on April 19, 2010, 07:47:08 AM
Bit of spare cash so looking to get an external antenna up.

I would like to know if it is possible to drop the coax through the roof and directly into my loft where the box is sited. This would mean the shortest cable run so very much the best option if it's technically possible.

Thanks
John.
Title: Re: Advice needed on external aerial please
Post by: Mike_Tassy on April 19, 2010, 01:12:59 PM
Hmmmm  thinking........thinking....
Ah..... yes possible, just do it
Title: Re: Advice needed on external aerial please
Post by: Tailwinds on April 19, 2010, 01:50:35 PM
This may sound a daft question but is it alright to put the ANRB in the loft? I mean, it gets flippin hot and humid up there in the summer and very cold and damp in the Winter. My ANRB is in the top corner of my bedroom just under the ceiling near the loft space.
Title: Re: Advice needed on external aerial please
Post by: abrad41 on April 19, 2010, 02:52:10 PM
Hi

Mine is up in the loft all year round, winter & summer. I use a USB extender with about 10 mts of cat5 cable, down to my consevertory.

Andy
Title: Re: Advice needed on external aerial please
Post by: bratters on April 19, 2010, 02:57:09 PM
Quote from: Tailwinds on April 19, 2010, 01:50:35 PM
This may sound a daft question but is it alright to put the ANRB in the loft? I mean, it gets flippin hot and humid up there in the summer and very cold and damp in the Winter. My ANRB is in the top corner of my bedroom just under the ceiling near the loft space.

I've had no problems and get far better reception. Aerial right up in the apex and the box in a loose plastic bag for dustproofing. Also using extended USB like abrad41.
Title: Re: Advice needed on external aerial please
Post by: Tailwinds on April 19, 2010, 03:20:25 PM
Yes, my antenna is also up in the apex of the loft with a small hole in the corner of the bedroom ceiling for the cable. My box is right in the top corner of the bedroom just under the ceiling. For me personally, I don't like the idea of placing my 400 quid piece of delicate equipment in the loft.
Title: Re: Advice needed on external aerial please
Post by: bratters on April 19, 2010, 03:24:08 PM
Quote from: Tailwinds on April 19, 2010, 03:20:25 PM
For me personally, I don't like the idea of placing my 400 quid piece of delicate equipment in the loft.

Probably the darkest quietist and above all safest place in my house. Nothing moves up there :)
Title: Re: Advice needed on external aerial please
Post by: shaun on April 19, 2010, 05:10:27 PM
What about mice, they might chew the cable!
Title: Re: Advice needed on external aerial please
Post by: sasa1000 on April 19, 2010, 07:07:11 PM
Am I right in thinking that the cable run from antenna to ANRB has to be kept to a minimum. Reason I ask is when I get one I was intending putting antenna outside and running as long a cable as needed so box is at PC. Having read this it looks like best option is to have short antenna cable and extend USB to PC.

Sandy
Title: Re: Advice needed on external aerial please
Post by: bratters on April 19, 2010, 07:26:48 PM
Sandy - you're right - the shorter the antenna cable the better so box as near to the aerial as possible.

Once you're set up,  the box does not need to be anywhere near your PC, nor do you have to even see it.  Have a browse (using the search function) and you'll find chapter and verse about using long (15m) USB cables to cut down on antenna length.
Title: Re: Advice needed on external aerial please
Post by: sasa1000 on April 19, 2010, 07:56:56 PM
Thanks for that bratters, I'll have a browse for that post using the search function.
Title: Re: Advice needed on external aerial please
Post by: t1mb0 on April 19, 2010, 08:02:11 PM
Like a couple of others, my RB is safe 'n sound mounted in the loft. With unpowered USB extender operating over the cat5 cable to my 'office'.
Then from wherever I am in the house/garden I RDP from laptop to main PC, perfect.