I am the kind of user who uses my box erratically and normally I have no internet access when I do. Would it be possible for you to make available a database file that can updated at regular intervals and then be downloaded from your server?
Kind Regards
Dave
Maybe an online database updateable by registered users of ANRB. Then available to download
Mike
Thought I'd bump this to see if I get a reply from the good folk at AirNav HQ.
Dave
Quote from: Mike_Tassy on April 24, 2010, 12:21:09 PM
Maybe an online database updateable by registered users of ANRB. Then available to download
Mike
I like this idea but would add that any new or amended record online should then be verified by some super users who know how to double check data before it goes live, these people do not need to be Airnav staff, in-fact be better if it was not (not in a bad way).
Great Idea Something like GAS DB but for Radarbox users but also downloadable.
We would be more than happy to develop the technical solution for our users to have such a database. All volunteers please send us a PM so we can start thinking about this.
Quote from: AirNav Development on April 26, 2010, 11:49:06 PMWe would be more than happy to develop the technical solution for our users to have such a database. All volunteers please send us a PM so we can start thinking about this.
Is it reasonable to assume that the savings you make from no longer having to source and maintain your own database would be passed on to participating users ?
Waive the network subscription for contributors, say ?
No we are not saying that, this is very early days, we are just exploring each avenue.
Quote from: DaveReid on April 27, 2010, 07:32:11 AMIs it reasonable to assume that the savings you make from no longer having to source and maintain your own database would be passed on to participating users ?
Are Airnav saying they would no longer maintain a database for us - I don't think so? I would still want to see the updates from GAS being included automatically as they currently do.
Quote from: tarbat on April 27, 2010, 07:34:59 AM
Are Airnav saying they would no longer maintain a database for us - I don't think so? I would still want to see the updates from GAS being included automatically as they currently do.
If that's the case, it sounds like yet another red herring to me.
As any politician will tell you, setting up a think-tank, inviting proposals and then mulling over them for months or even years is a great substitute for actually doing anything :-)
Quote from: tarbat on April 27, 2010, 07:34:59 AM
Quote from: DaveReid on April 27, 2010, 07:32:11 AMIs it reasonable to assume that the savings you make from no longer having to source and maintain your own database would be passed on to participating users ?
Are Airnav saying they would no longer maintain a database for us - I don't think so? I would still want to see the updates from GAS being included automatically as they currently do.
Hi airnav
happy enough here as well
from pat
Let Dave do it. It would save a thread every other day.!!!!
Quote from: Runway 31 on April 27, 2010, 07:52:40 AM
Let Dave do it. It would save a thread every other day.!!!!
Runway.
Yes give him the job, it will give our heads peace and quiet.
from pat.
Quote from: Runway 31 on April 27, 2010, 07:52:40 AMLet Dave do it.
I thought I already was :-)
www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4285.0
Quote from: DaveReid on April 27, 2010, 08:06:44 AM
Quote from: Runway 31 on April 27, 2010, 07:52:40 AMLet Dave do it.
I thought I already was :-)
www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4285.0
Yes i seen that ok dave LOL.
quote
Really Dave. Airnav asked "what is the most accurate aircraft information external database", and you replied http://www.aircraftid.com/. But conveniently failed to mention that you are the CEO of AvGen, who operate the www.aircraftId. service.
from pat
Sorry Pat, which part of "This information is hereby placed in the public domain and may be freely used without attribution by any individual or organisation" are you having trouble understanding ?
We're now (it would appear) talking about a vastly expanded version of the same concept.
I'm simply struggling to understand how it's possible to reconcile, on one hand, marketing RadarBox as having a comprehensive built-in database with, on the other, suggesting to users that maintaining accurate data is actually up to them, to the extent of offering to "develop the technical solution for our users to have such a database".
Quote from: SWORDFISH on April 27, 2010, 08:13:26 AM
Yes i seen that ok dave LOL.
quote
Really Dave. Airnav asked "what is the most accurate aircraft information external database", and you replied http://www.aircraftid.com/. But conveniently failed to mention that you are the CEO of AvGen, who operate the www.aircraftId. service.
from pat
What does it matter if he is the CEO (I'm sure AirNav already know that). He gave the correct answer.
Dave,
The reply was simply to the question of having database file which is not being updated by GAS the normal the way as the customer does not have internet.
This is NOT to do with the current system whereby the majority of the customers have internet and connecting to our server for updates.
We are not sure how this has suddenly got twisted into us not sourcing our own database etc.. Now please can everyone just calm down.
Think this thread has two topics (First two posts)
1. Downloadable up to date Navadata file.
2. Online Database that can be updated and verified by RB users as well as downloadable.
Quote from: DaveReid on April 27, 2010, 08:46:11 AM
Sorry Pat, which part of "This information is hereby placed in the public domain and may be freely used without attribution by any individual or organisation" are you having trouble understanding ?
We're now (it would appear) talking about a vastly expanded version of the same concept.
I'm simply struggling to understand how it's possible to reconcile, on one hand, marketing RadarBox as having a comprehensive built-in database with, on the other, suggesting to users that maintaining accurate data is actually up to them, to the extent of offering to "develop the technical solution for our users to have such a database".
That is a very good point. One of the strong marketing tools is that there is a comprehensive database as part of the package. However, if it's way out of date or riddled with errors then it's like shooting yourself in the foot.
AirNav Systems should sort this out once and for all and offer it free of charge to subscribers.
It will be very hard to find a database that is up to date and error free. Just this morning I have noted a number of aircraft that do not appear on Airnav, Airframes or GAS.
How comprehensive is comprehensive
As Radarbox markets as having a comprehensive database, is it the most comprehensive, how does it compare to the database provided by its competitors?.
Quote from: Runway 31 on April 27, 2010, 11:01:01 AMIt will be very hard to find a database that is up to date and error free.
I'd go further than that and say it's impossible to find a 100% accurate, up-to-date database that's guaranteed to have everything you're picking up on Mode S.
But that's no reason why we shouldn't aspire to one that's approaching that ideal, or at least have some targets for quality against which it can be measured.
To paraphrase the old school report saying - the current offering sets itself a low standard which it consistently fails to achieve.
Quote from: DaveReid on April 27, 2010, 11:23:06 AM
Quote from: Runway 31 on April 27, 2010, 11:01:01 AMIt will be very hard to find a database that is up to date and error free.
I'd go further than that and say it's impossible to find a 100% accurate, up-to-date database that's guaranteed to have everything you're picking up on Mode S.
But that's no reason why we shouldn't aspire to one that's approaching that ideal, or at least have some targets for quality against which it can be measured.
To paraphrase the old school report saying - the current offering sets itself a low standard which it consistently fails to achieve.
Has my mum shown you my old school reports Dave?
We have good news for AirNav RadarBox users.
We have just started the process of developing a central database, maintained by users, with updated aircraft information.
The RadarBox client application will always look at this database for aircraft details first and only if the details cannot be found there it will try to retrieve data from the GAS central servers.
We have just created a closed discussion board on the forum accessible only to "Database Updaters" where all the discussion regarding new aircraft information will take place.
We are now accepting volunteers for this task. Feel free to send us a PM if you are interested.
sounds good, I'll not volunteer as I'm sure there are better more experienced members out there, but if needed give me a shout always willing to help do some donkey work or testing.
All the discussion to continue on:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=4809.new#new