AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: QF1 on April 26, 2010, 03:42:53 AM

Title: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: QF1 on April 26, 2010, 03:42:53 AM

I am trying to feed from near Singapore while on holiday, but receiving some aircraft, but mostly none are tracking in Air Nav, but they are showing on my PP feed.  Does any one have any suggestions at why AirNav is not showing the aircraft as tracking?

Cheers
Mark
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: viking9 on April 26, 2010, 10:23:14 AM
Mark,

Are they showing on the AirNav network?

Tom
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: mjleprix on April 26, 2010, 11:37:31 AM
I have a similar situation where I have been flights on Airnav to the west of me but if i switch over to Planeplotter (only trialled in the last few days) I can view them quite clearly .   As Planeplotter receives its info through the Radarbox, I would have thought it would be of great interest to all concerned and particularly yourselves at Airnav.
(There is no network traffic involved in this issue). It is all too easy to suggest it should be dealt with by PP:I always believed this Forum to be helpful, but of late I'm not too sure, as queries are being sidelined under the excuse 'its somebody else's problem'.
Generally I am as happy as Larry with my Radarbox but if there is an opportunity for improvements by getting feedback from others, then lets hear about it. Thats' what a forum is for and suppressing that feedback causes frustration and often the route to many of the embittered posts we tend to see these days.
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: AirNav Support on April 26, 2010, 11:40:31 AM
mjleprix,

We have no issue if you posting saying, I am seeing this on PP and its not on RB. Thats fine as your discussing an issue related to RadarBox. PP has been mentioned 100s of times here like that.

If there is a post saying PP isn't working, how can can we get it working or issues like that, then they do not relate to RadarBox and they shouldn't be here. This is not a support site for PP and shouldn't be used as such.
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: tarbat on April 26, 2010, 11:45:44 AM
A couple of things in Planeplotter can give the impression of it tracking flights that don't appear on the Radarbox display:

1. Timeout settings.   Try to match your timeout settings between Radarbox and Planeplotter.  If your timeout settings in Planeplotter are bigger than those in Radarbox, then obviously aircraft will appear in Planeplotter that have already timed out in Radarbox.

2. The "Predict Postions" setting.  If you tick this in Planeplotter, then even after aircraft have timed out in Radarbox, they will continue to move in Planeplotter.  This is not REAL movement, but predicted movement in Planeplotter.

During beta testing of port 30003, I tested Planeplotter with identical timeout settings, and "Predict Positions" turned off, and found no discrepancies.
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: mjleprix on April 26, 2010, 02:15:56 PM
Tarbat
I completely understand what you are saying about timeout settings and predict positions as I too have appreciated those implications, but for what its worth in my particular case aircraft tracking north or south between 50 -80 miles west of me are sometimes not being picked up at all and during my testing of planeplotter such missing tracks(aircraft) are on the map on planeplotter. Now I certainly do not have your very good technical understanding of related issues,but to me I wonder why this is the case. I totally accept that aircraft staying on track for longer or even being predicted to be in a certain location is down to the way planeplotter works. I actually find this helps me because sometimes I miss the first contact and wheras the aircraft might have gone off the map in Radarbox when I'm focusing on what is in the vicinity, I am reminded of its track if I flip over to planeplotter and in that way it enhances the set up overall for me.
But if we didn't discuss the availabilty of such add ons(perhaps i shouldn't have said that word) then we wouldnt be aware of their value to our community. Perhaps my wording or earlier missives wasn't quite appropriate but when time is short you just want to get the message across. I know there are people such as yourself on this forum who have mentioned Planeplotter and are fully conversant with their operation and if i had been able to access their personal Email address I wouln't have even raised the question on open forum.
Hope this explains what I was about.
Thanks
Mike
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: tarbat on April 26, 2010, 02:19:19 PM
mjleprix, are you running the latest version of Radarbox?  And what's your location?
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: mjleprix on April 26, 2010, 05:17:49 PM
Yes THe latest. Location ST15 8XP
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: tarbat on April 26, 2010, 05:51:25 PM
Okay, that rules out the southern hemisphere missing data issue.   Are you sure you haven't got the Planeplotter network sharing turned on when you're seeing this?
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: mjleprix on April 26, 2010, 07:36:38 PM
Absolutely not, Tarbut, I am only running the 21 day trial during which time you are unable to share data.
Mike
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: tarbat on April 27, 2010, 09:47:00 AM
Sorry Mike, I'm out of ideas.  For info, I use the following settings and see excellent correlation between the Radarbox and Planeplotter maps:

1. Radarbox Timeouts for MyFlights - 23/37
2. Planeplotter ModeS source - SBS1/RBv3tcp (very important)
3. Planeplotter "Omit Aircraft after" - 1.00 minute
4. Planeplotter "Predict Positions" unticked
5. Planeplotter sharing - Upload ONLY
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: mjleprix on April 27, 2010, 11:59:30 AM
Tarbat
I'll have to check the I/O settings on that Mode s source I'm sure mine was pointing at the RBs box a little lower down the list. I cannot get the flight routings to populate either. If you could pm on that set up if the answer is in the [email protected].
Once again you have been very helpful.
Thanks Mike
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: mjleprix on April 27, 2010, 01:50:35 PM
email is of course [email protected].
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: tarbat on April 27, 2010, 02:10:54 PM
If you're using any of the other Radarbox option in I/O, then that may give you problems, since some/all of the other settings expect a 5-minute delay.  As long as you're running v3 or later of Radarbox, then you MUST use the SBS1/RBv3 tcp I/O setting.

Flight routings do not get passed from Radarbox to Planeplotter on port 30003, only the FlightID gets passed.  To see flight routings in Planeplotter, you'll need to build a flight routes table for Planeplotter to use, or get hold of FD6 to automate flight routes in PP.
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: DaveReid on April 27, 2010, 02:31:20 PM
Quote from: tarbat on April 27, 2010, 02:10:54 PM
To see flight routings in Planeplotter, you'll need to build a flight routes table for Planeplotter to use, or get hold of FD6 to automate flight routes in PP.

Or you can download a starter flight routes database compatible with PlanePlotter from the Files area on the Yahoo PP-Logs-and-Routes Group:  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PP-logs-and-routes/files/
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: mjleprix on April 27, 2010, 02:39:18 PM
Tarbat/Dave
Thanks for your imput. I have the starter Flightroute.sqb in the log file along with
database.sqb but nothing still shows in routes.
Mike
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: tarbat on April 27, 2010, 09:16:38 PM
Have you setup the directory preferences in Planeplotter to point to the folder containing the database.sqb file?
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: mjleprix on April 28, 2010, 08:05:02 PM
Yes I have ,Tarbat. But do you need to point something to the Flightroute.sqb which is in the same folder
Thanks
mike
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: QF1 on April 29, 2010, 02:09:47 AM

I have basically moved my posts on this subject to the thread "The Black Hole of Singapore", as that is approx where I am this week and it seems that flights disappear from the aircraft list when they are 2N of the equator, (but still appear on PP).  This would appear to be an AirNav software problem, which I will wait for them to address.

As I am not normally in this area it is not really a problem for me. I don't want to start any arguments here but I also still maintain that my Basestation picks up flights earlier and displays them for longer tham my AirNav unit, with same aerials etc etc.  I do not know enough about how the AirNav decodes data but believe that it is all done in the computer itself, so maybe I need more"computer power" to be able to decode all the flights as quickly as Basestation.

Cheers
M
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: tarbat on April 29, 2010, 08:41:56 AM
Quote from: mjleprix on April 28, 2010, 08:05:02 PMYes I have ,Tarbat. But do you need to point something to the Flightroute.sqb which is in the same folder

I can't remember.  You would probably get an answer on the Planeplotter forum at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/planeplotter/
Title: Re: Problem with tracking - it is tracking on PP
Post by: mjleprix on April 29, 2010, 10:22:56 AM
Tarbat .Just to close out my query. I now have routes appearing- used new version and re did the wizard install and 'hey Presto'.
Many thanks for your input.
Mike