AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: bratters on April 28, 2010, 09:33:12 AM

Title: Bit of lift today?
Post by: bratters on April 28, 2010, 09:33:12 AM
Some nibbling away at the outer fringes of my Polar Diagram occurring this morning.
Anyone else getting a bit of lift?
Title: Re: Bit of lift today?
Post by: Squad 701 on April 28, 2010, 09:50:19 AM
Yes I also noticed a few new fringes popping up today,
hopefully more to come :-)
Title: Re: Bit of lift today?
Post by: smcm on April 28, 2010, 10:38:03 AM
Nothing in the far north - but pressure only 1004mb.  This site indicates there might be some ducting in the far south.

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo_nwe.html

Title: Re: Bit of lift today?
Post by: bratters on April 28, 2010, 01:48:01 PM
Hi smcm - yes I keep my eye on that site. Difficult to forecast with any accuracy judging by the  frequency of changes. I often flag something a few days in advance only to find it's been changed the evening before.

All part of the fun though.
Title: Re: Bit of lift today?
Post by: smcm on April 28, 2010, 03:22:27 PM
We had good "lift" conditions up here last Sunday on VHF running NW-SE and I did notice some increase in range on Radarbox.

However, I'm never quite sure just how much a tropo opening will affect this system given the altitude of these aircraft.  I've been in situations with V/UHF where you can be above a duct when operating from a hilltop site at a few hundred metres - esp if there is a sea water path involved.