This topic is mainly to gain the opinion of our non UK/US international users.
We are updating the AC field of the database. Because we are mostly British the updaters cannot get concensus as to how we should present Air Force aircraft from around the world. There are basically 3 options and we would like opinions from the non-native english speakers before making the decision which to use.
Option 1 - Anglofile name examples
-Royal Air Force
-British Army
-United States Navy
-French Army
-Kuwaiti Air Force
-Brazilian Navy
-Royal Malaysian Air Force
Option 2 - Names in local language
-Royal Air Force
-Army Air Corps
-United States Navy
-Aviation Légère de l'Armée de Terre
-al-Quwwat al-Jawwiya al-Kuwaitiya
-Comando da Força Aeronaval
-Tentera Udara Diraja Malaysia
Option 3 - Generic country names as used by Airliners.net
-UK - Air Force
-UK - Army
-United States - Navy
-France - Army
-Kuwait - Air Force
-Brazil - Navy
-Malaysia - Air Force
Your views appreciated
Regards
ACW367
I believe option 3 is the best one.
Option 3 makes the best sense I think.
Don't forget UK - Navy :-)
Option 1 please
Option 3 gets my vote.
Option 1 would be my preference.
I'd vote for 3.
Easier to filter and re-order I think.
Quote from: ACW367 on May 02, 2010, 03:43:49 PMThis topic is mainly to gain the opinion of our non UK/US international users.
We are updating the AC field of the database. Because we are mostly British the updaters cannot get concensus as to how we should present Air Force aircraft from around the world. There are basically 3 options and we would like opinions from the non-native english speakers before making the decision which to use.
The question is of equal interest to all RadarBox users. Even if your first language were, say, French unless you're a polyglot you're likely to have as much trouble as we Brits and Americans when it comes to names in Arabic, Portuguese, Malay, etc.
I'd vote for option 3, although I think it would be better to standardise on either UK/US or United Kingdom/United States rather than a mix of both.
Option 3 for me, please.
Rod
I'd vote for option 3 also.
John
Option 3 for me too please. Let's keep it simple.
Quote from: DaveReid on May 02, 2010, 05:02:24 PM
I'd vote for option 3, although I think it would be better to standardise on either UK/US or United Kingdom/United States rather than a mix of both.
Good point.
Option 3 with UK/US please
Option 3 For me too
I would go for option 1 too. Thanks for asking for opinions.
Sandy
My vote: option 3
Frank
Option 3 for me please.
Regards,
Ian.
Hi All
We're probably going to be asking a few other "key" decision making options over the next week or two as the updating evolves.
We have some very good ideas knocking around at present, but please understand the task at hand.
At the moment we are in good dialogue with Development to try and use our collective knowledge to the best possible , and quickest way of accurately processing updates, and validating existing information, however we want to make sure we go about it logically and progressively.
We're sure you'll all agree to go with the majority view on such notation options?
At the moment, my only concern is how we're going to carry on with the updating/reviewing once the weather improves and we can once again look to the skies - but then, it's a nice option to have!
We'll keep you all posted!
Regards
Rich
Option 3 please.
Paul@cyyb
I don't want to mess up this thread, but maybe government aircraft come into the same categories
1 - Government of Angola
2 - Governo da República de Angola
3 - Angola - Government
Rod
Agreed on the government aircraft and also coastguard aircraft of the various nations.
We vote on option 3 one more time. :-)
I vote option 3 with country and Goverment, Coastguard etc.
Rgds Northern Watch
Quote from: AirNav Development on May 02, 2010, 09:51:29 PM
We vote on option 3 one more time. :-)
We should have made this a poll to stop people double-voting ;-)
Rod
Option 3 For me, and thanks ACW367.
ps
Airnav one man one vote.
Option 1 - Anglofile name !!!!!
Thanks for all your great work. I would go with Option 3 for all non commercial aircraft,
so Air Force, Govt, Army, Police etc.
On the same subject, what about where the Govt Agency is State based e.g. in the US?
Cheers
Mark
1 or 3, I am not fussed.
I suppose out of the choices, Option 3 is what I'd prefer.
Option 2 for me - As not all cutomers are English!
Option 3 for me please
Option 2 for me.
i vote for option 2
Option 3 preferred.
Option 3 please.
I would prefer option 3 as well, but for United States Military aircraft I would suggest a small change, list it as USA - Air Force or USA - Marines instead of just US or United States or United States Air Force. I believe that is what the majority of the US military aircraft in my DB are listed as and I have corrected many that have been listed otherwise. I think this is consistent with the Airliners.net database......
I would prefer option 3.
Liviu
I really would prefer that we use the official agency/entity name, i.e. "CANFORCE" (the air callsign for Canadian Forces) instead of "Canada - Air Force" and "Canada - Army" etc etc., but given the options, as I said earlier, I'd pick #3.
Quote from: Jay911 on May 04, 2010, 06:17:41 PM
I really would prefer that we use the official agency/entity name, i.e. "CANFORCE" (the air callsign for Canadian Forces) instead of "Canada - Air Force" and "Canada - Army" etc etc., but given the options, as I said earlier, I'd pick #3.
Hi Jay
I think where there is technically only one "operator" such as with Canada, we will use simply "Canadian forces", however it's purely multiple air forces/navy/army/etc as for most countries , that we were trying to capture a concensus .
Thanks for raising it, as it's a simple fix!(he says hopefully?)
Rod - interested in your thoughts with govt operated aircraft, as some of these are closely allied to airlines such as the Qatar Amiri Flight. I'll put it to the updating guys to see what's easier, as we may have options to modify our approach hopefully soon
In the meantime,appreciate all your views
Rich
Option 2 for UK military - the Royal Air Force / Army Air Corp / Fleet Air Arm are their names - not UK Airforce etc
Option 3 for me please. appears to be easy to read even if your not good at speaking english. Colin.
I would prefer Option 3
Thanks
Option 3
Neil
We will keep this open until 10PM UK time tomorrow 6 May. Unlike other votes due at this time. this one looks like its heading for a landslide majority. Even with some floating voters and the odd corporate giant trying to vote more than once :-)
spanner in the works;
Military: UK Air Force
Military: US Air Force
makes it really easy to filter, sorry JMO
People not interested in military can filter them out, and vice versa
Option 1 please.
As the overwhelming majority by a factor of 3 to 1 favoured option three, that is what we will implement.
Thank you all for providing your opinions
Regards
ACW367
I assume that people will still be able to edit the new database to their own preferences should they not like what has been decided.
Option 2 please, lets call them what they are.
Malc
Quote from: malcdee2001 on May 08, 2010, 03:41:31 PMOption 2 please, lets call them what they are.
I think the Polling Station has just closed ...