AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: dapman on May 19, 2010, 09:49:56 PM

Title: radar box not accurate
Post by: dapman on May 19, 2010, 09:49:56 PM
HI
       I was watching a airliner landing at my local airport (EGMC) aprox 1 mile.But it did not land on the runway,how do i correct this.

                                                             Thanks Dave.
Title: Re: radar box not accurate
Post by: RodBearden on May 19, 2010, 10:00:52 PM
I'd have a word with the pilots if I were you!

On the other hand, you can't correct it - it will be because the navigation system on the aircraft is probably not being accurate - if it's an older model of airliner like a B733 or A300 or suchlike, it probably will have intertial navigation rather than GPS. You'll find that modern ones like B738s or A330s will be much more accurate.

Rod
Title: Re: radar box not accurate
Post by: DaveReid on May 19, 2010, 10:01:59 PM
Quote from: dapman on May 19, 2010, 09:49:56 PMI was watching a airliner landing at my local airport (EGMC) aprox 1 mile.But it did not land on the runway,how do i correct this.

Some aircraft send positional data which is inaccurate because it is based on inertial navigation rather than GPS.

It's not RadarBox at fault (unless it's an ATP you're talking about, but that's another story).
Title: Re: radar box not accurate
Post by: Marpleman on May 19, 2010, 11:41:16 PM
Slightly off topic, but back in the 70's (I think) I'm certain some dodgy European airliner (possibly good old Aviogenex) mistook Woodford for Manchester before the era of ultra sophisticated electronic landing aids, and decided to put down there by mistake.....................

However I can certainly vouch for the USAF F111 in 1977 that did exactly the opposite, and decided to partake in a very high speed pass stright down "24" at Manchester as his "arrival" for his display at the Woodford airshow!!

Now those would certainly have caused much bewilderment on our screens today!

Rich
Title: Re: radar box not accurate
Post by: Paulc on May 20, 2010, 05:16:02 AM
The good old USAF did the same at a Farnborough Show a few years ago with a B52 doing a display at Blackbushe!
Title: Re: radar box not accurate
Post by: dl1812 on May 20, 2010, 09:38:02 AM
OK, Showing my age big time here, but I can recall many years ago a Constellation landing at Northolt instead of Heathrow.
To be fair, both fields had large Gasometers close by as a visual reference !

I'm also of a mind that something bigger and jet powered did the same thing some years later, but I can't recall the details. Age does that to you.....


Nostalgia's not what it used to be :o)
Title: Re: radar box not accurate
Post by: Runway 31 on May 20, 2010, 09:40:01 AM
If my memory serves me correct the Farnborough aircraft was a Lancer
Title: Re: radar box not accurate
Post by: DaveReid on May 20, 2010, 11:03:23 AM
Quote from: dl1812 on May 20, 2010, 09:38:02 AMI'm also of a mind that something bigger and jet powered did the same thing some years later, but I can't recall the details. Age does that to you.....

October 1960, Pan Am 707.

See www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1001607
Title: Re: radar box not accurate
Post by: DaveReid on May 20, 2010, 11:09:13 AM
Quote from: Runway 31 on May 20, 2010, 09:40:01 AMIf my memory serves me correct the Farnborough aircraft was a Lancer

You are both correct - the USAF did unintentional flybys at Blackbushe with a B-1 in 2006 and (two days in a row) with a B-52 in 2004.
Title: Re: radar box not accurate
Post by: dapman on May 20, 2010, 05:15:12 PM
Thanks  Guys   i had seen planes land before and all was well,so i decided there must be a problem with the equipment.I will keep an eye on it,there is not to much comercial traffic here at the moment,but that is going to change soon.

                                                 Cheers Dave.
Title: Re: radar box not accurate
Post by: malc41 on May 20, 2010, 06:23:37 PM
Yes remember the F111 incident well, can't repeat what the guy in the tower said!!