Anyone know why this CYP flight from Brum to Paphos is landing at Heathrow at 00.35UTC - surely after the curfew?
It's squawking 0540, so possibly not an emergency, but its track certainly seems odd if it's not.
Rod
Could be a number of reasons but my two guesses would be either;
a) the database is wrong.
b) Technical or medical emergency. Curfew or not, I don't think the BAA would be chirlish and say that the aircraft couldn't land for either situations.
Quote from: Southwest on May 22, 2010, 07:24:21 AMCould be a number of reasons but my two guesses would be either;
a) the database is wrong.
b) Technical or medical emergency. Curfew or not, I don't think the BAA would be chirlish and say that the aircraft couldn't land for either situations.
Well the database is half right - the AirNav server returns Birmingham-Paphos for CYP515, whereas the actual routeing is Birmingham-Larnaca via Paphos.
And yes, the LHR curfew doesn't apply to diversions or emergencies - I'd guess in this case an operational or maintenance issue, since a medical emergency is almost invariably accompanied by a 7700 squawk.
Quote from: DaveReid on May 22, 2010, 08:26:20 AM
And yes, the LHR curfew doesn't apply to diversions or emergencies - I'd guess in this case an operational or maintenance issue, since a medical emergency is almost invariably accompanied by a 7700 squawk.
Hi Dave,
From my atc background - its unusual 7700 squawk for medical issues. Usually only in aircraft (systems) emergencies.
This is only what I know from my career. However, having a medical emergency would most certainly allow for a landing after curfew too.
Cheers
Bryan
According to the Cyprus Mail (English language newspaper on island), CYP515 diverted due to a technical fault identified overhead the English Channel. News story at http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/cyprus-airways-plane-grounded/20100523
Regards,
Dave
Good find - many thanks, Dave.
Rod