Hi All,
I noticed this morning that there are not nearly the number of active USA users sharing network data as the AirNav map indicate there should be in the USA. Are most users in the US only intermittently sharing data with the network?
Larry WB3ANQ
Not sure what you mean, by what we indicate?
Majority of our customers do not have there machines running 24/7 and hence it means the data is intermittent.
Where is your box Larry?
We are getting more and more users in the USA. Note that many units are not active between 10 PM and 8 AM. Usually we have between 30-50 sharers there.
I was referring to the map on the AirNav site
http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/network.php
But yes I understand that many user are not on 24/7 :)
I am located in Pasadena, Maryland near BWI airport.
Am I wrong in suggesting that the map in question only shows the locations of RB owners and not a) ones that are online and b) who share data?
Yes you are wrong :)
It shows only those sharing data at the moment in time, however the locations are not always accurate and the reception circle is what they would get under the best conditions (antenna, full horizon view)
Thanks for correcting me, at least I know now.
Quote from: larry.putman on June 10, 2010, 01:29:26 PM
I noticed this morning that there are not nearly the number of active USA
Larry WB3ANQ
I am sorry but I agree with Larry here
After watching a flight a friend was on going to Washington I lost tracking of how many times I lost it due to lack of coverage.
Could this be due to high state of alert the US is under since sept 11? Many Americans feel they could be prosecuted under homeland security laws by owning a radar box
I would never take my radar box to the US for fear of being prosecuted having the box confiscated or even going to jail on spying charges
Here in the UK it's illegal to use/listen in to communications from air traffic control but go to any UK air show and most people walk around with scanner radio's and have a large number of police officers I don't know anybody who run in to trouble with the law
But going back to the OP most of the middle of the usa seem to have no coverage
Puddy
>Could this be due to high state of alert the US is under since sept 11?
Simple answer: not at all.
We have several shops selling RadarBox and sales have increased dramatically during the last months. It's a matter of having friends-telling-friends-telling-friends about RadarBox. Anyway we are much stronger on the professional market in the US than on the enthusiast market. Several research/development companies have bought dozens of RadarBox lately.
Anyway the US, unlike Europe, provide air traffic information for all their airspace for civilian use. Check our AirNav Live Flight Tracker application and you will see what we mean. We have a real-time direct connection to the FAA flight data servers feeding this (and other) applications.
Link:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/tracker
Alot of this has to do with population density as well. In Europe we are packed like sardines. The USA has a far lesser density, large tracts of the midwest and South have very few people, very few airfields and consequently very few enthusiasts wishing to buy a box.
Quote from: puddy on June 11, 2010, 02:19:33 AM
Quote from: larry.putman on June 10, 2010, 01:29:26 PM
I noticed this morning that there are not nearly the number of active USA
Larry WB3ANQ
I am sorry but I agree with Larry here
After watching a flight a friend was on going to Washington I lost tracking of how many times I lost it due to lack of coverage.
Could this be due to high state of alert the US is under since sept 11? Many Americans feel they could be prosecuted under homeland security laws by owning a radar box
I would never take my radar box to the US for fear of being prosecuted having the box confiscated or even going to jail on spying charges
Here in the UK it's illegal to use/listen in to communications from air traffic control but go to any UK air show and most people walk around with scanner radio's and have a large number of police officers I don't know anybody who run in to trouble with the law
But going back to the OP most of the middle of the usa seem to have no coverage
Puddy
As far as I am aware, it is NOT illegal in the UK to listen into ATC communications but it IS illegal to act upon anything that you may here being transmitted. Hence the reason that at air shows and indeed around airports, the police will generally take no action against anyone listening in.
Hi EK01, if you look at the legislation, that is not correct, if you haven't (or general public) a licence to listen/transmit on a certain frequency, you commit an offence. Other than this you can only listen to public broadcasts (ie Radio1 etc., TV stations etc.) and licensed amateurs, the fact that the Home Office turn a blind eye, as it is so widespread, is a "privilege" (to which a blind eye is turned)which can be jumped on if abused, even use of an RB could be held to be illegal! The "act upon anything you may hear" bit is a total fallacy. Sorry, but that's a fact of UK life, I believe the US is a lot more amenable to us. Any of us UKRB users are technically committing several offences, for which our equpiment/property can be seized and us prosecuted, hence why I and others, would like to see an "Opt-in" to sharing rather than "Opt-out", but AN don't seem to be prepared to address our concerns.
Ah well,
Here we are back once again to the old story of who can be bothered to tick the box and who can't with regard to the so called offence of sharing information. Shall we start yet another thread ? Oh and as to the legislation, you don't need a license to listen in to any broadcasts be they airband or otherwise but you do need one to transmit on a frequency and that is where the 'privilege' comes in.
I, for one, would hate to be in an aircraft which has received a transmission through the ether from someone not connected with ATC but then again if it is not illegal to 'act upon anything you hear' then there is no problem and, I think, you'll find that since 9/11, the US are certainly not more amenable to us.
I've got a big chunk of west central Texas covered; but I'm afraid I'm not sharing again until AirNav starts sharing with me!
Quote from: EK01 on June 12, 2010, 04:31:38 PM
Ah well,
Here we are back once again to the old story of who can be bothered to tick the box and who can't with regard to the so called offence of sharing information. Shall we start yet another thread ? Oh and as to the legislation, you don't need a license to listen in to any broadcasts be they airband or otherwise but you do need one to transmit on a frequency and that is where the 'privilege' comes in.
I, for one, would hate to be in an aircraft which has received a transmission through the ether from someone not connected with ATC but then again if it is not illegal to 'act upon anything you hear' then there is no problem and, I think, you'll find that since 9/11, the US are certainly not more amenable to us.
Clearly you have not read the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006/ukpga_20060036_en_1
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/enforcement/guidance
Quote from: perezoso on June 13, 2010, 04:24:17 AM
I've got a big chunk of west central Texas covered; but I'm afraid I'm not sharing again until AirNav starts sharing with me!
Any chance you logged AE1412 on June 7?
Quote from: eggplant on June 13, 2010, 09:07:32 PM
Quote from: EK01 on June 12, 2010, 04:31:38 PM
Ah well,
Here we are back once again to the old story of who can be bothered to tick the box and who can't with regard to the so called offence of sharing information. Shall we start yet another thread ? Oh and as to the legislation, you don't need a license to listen in to any broadcasts be they airband or otherwise but you do need one to transmit on a frequency and that is where the 'privilege' comes in.
I, for one, would hate to be in an aircraft which has received a transmission through the ether from someone not connected with ATC but then again if it is not illegal to 'act upon anything you hear' then there is no problem and, I think, you'll find that since 9/11, the US are certainly not more amenable to us.
Clearly you have not read the Wireless Telegraphy Act 2006
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2006/ukpga_20060036_en_1
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/enforcement/guidance
Eggplant,
Clearly the important word here is 'Guidance' and as we all know 'Guidance' can be interpretated any way you like.
'A license is NOT required to use a radio receiver as long as it is not capable of transmission'. I said that.
Offence 2: 'In other words you can listen in but not act upon what you heard'. I said that as well.
As I said 'open to interpretation'.
Well it's been 9 days since I have been using the AirNav network and I still say there are less then 10 active users in North America!
Quote from: larry.putman on June 18, 2010, 01:08:19 AM
Well it's been 9 days since I have been using the AirNav network and I still say there are less then 10 active users in North America!
Do you mean by 10 active that it's 10 who are sharing their data? Because I'm sure there must be more than 10 radar box's in the US.
Perezosa is an example who doesn't share and there are probably a lot more. I may have said some negative things about Air Nav recently but I would never 'not share' my data because I believe someone, somewhere might be interested in it and it just paints a bigger picture for everyone in our hobby.
Quote from: EK01 on June 15, 2010, 09:33:47 AM
Eggplant,
Clearly the important word here is 'Guidance' and as we all know 'Guidance' can be interpretated any way you like.
'A license is NOT required to use a radio receiver as long as it is not capable of transmission'. I said that.
Offence 2: 'In other words you can listen in but not act upon what you heard'. I said that as well.
As I said 'open to interpretation'.
let's get this right in the UK it is an offence to listen in to aircraft freq police fire etc. with a scanner radio you can apply for a license but NONE as ever been issued to a member of the public.
in addition the old wives tale about you can listen but not act on what you have heard and not get prosecuted is just that an old wives tale
How do I know this? I used to work for the UK government but to cover myself I will not tell you which department
So you can be prosecuted
Anyone want to see if the same goes for the radarbox in the UK?
Puddy
Quote from: puddy on June 18, 2010, 10:55:51 AM
you can listen but not act on what you have heard and not get prosecuted is just that an old wives tale
On the contrary, I'd have thought it was a pretty accurate description of the de facto situation here in the UK.
I recently purchased the AirNav-RB, and entered my location, however, after a couple of days, my location does not display on the network mapping....
Any suggestions....
Don't worry about the location map, its not supposed to be accurate (privacy reasons) and it works on getting your location from your IP address which doesn't always get back a result.
What I am saying is that I check for Network activity in north America several times a day and I will only see data coming from a few states 3 along the west coast of the USA one or 2 in the New York area sometimes one in Florida, One or 2 on the east side of the great lakes, One in North East Texas and that's about it.
I'm sure many many more radarboxes have been sold in the US but apparently they aren't sharing data.
Just zoom down on the US map and you see what I mean!
At least 17 currently active in US:
('Oakland','United States',37.7645,-122.4294);
('Reno','United States',39.5545,-119.8062);
('Woodbridge VA','US',38.8782,-77.1054);
('Schenectady','USA',43.3523,-73.6899);
('Sacramento','USA',38.5765,-121.4445);
('Alpharetta','USA',52.5167,13.4);
('Chino Hills','USA',34.2181,-119.028);
('Andover Vermont','USA',43.226,-72.5351);
('Dayton','usa',47.6727,-122.1873);
('Denton','USA',33.1427,-96.8123);
('Southfield','United States',42.4791,-83.2491);
('Woodinville','USA',47.3018,-122.1926);
('KPWK','USA',42.031,-87.8112);
('Centerville','USA',41.2232,-111.992);
('Plano','United States',33.0483,-96.7347);
('Waterford NY','United States',42.7355,-73.7204);
('Washington DC','US',64.8171,-147.8784);
There may be others in the US that are sharing with some strange town/country names. I would guess that later in the day the number of sharers in the USA may increase.
(http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1275/4711277345_332b641763_o.jpg)
Could do with a few more in the middle from NM up to ND.
There is a RadarBox site near Denver International Airport (DEN) that is sharing data 24/7 but, it never shows up on the active network map.
Quote from: darylsmith on June 18, 2010, 04:09:16 PMThere is a RadarBox site near Denver International Airport (DEN) that is sharing data 24/7 but, it never shows up on the active network map.
I guess it depends on what they've entered in CITY/COUNTRY in Radarbox preferences. There's a number of locations with blanks, and even one that says 'here','earth' !!
Is it in the attached list?
No, I did not see Lafayette, CO listed on the spreadsheet. In Preferences - Home Station Data I have a lat/long instead of a City, State or Country. Maybe that's why it does not show up on the active users map.
That would explain why it's not appearing.
Also note that the locations shown may not be accurate. Red Positions are extracted from the users location (Town, Country) set in the software. Blue Positions are extracted from the user IP address.