Hi,
Howcome I can hear an aircraft clearly but radarbox does not show the traffic? The aircraft in question definately has mode-s only.
Does a mode-s transponder only broadcast when a radar station interrorgates it?
Thanks
Jono
Quote from: Jono_Kzn on June 11, 2010, 04:02:10 PMDoes a mode-s transponder only broadcast when a radar station interrogates it?
If the aircraft has TCAS, it should send acquisition squitters once every second. RadarBox should pick those up.
Jono, which aircraft is it?
Its an ATR 72-212A
What registration?
5H-PWD
There are two forms of transponder, Mode S or Mode S ADS-B. Only the ADS-B version includes positional data as derived from onboard navigation systems. As the non-ADS-B do not transmit their coordinates, radarbox cannot plot them on a map. Most aircraft below jet airliner size have not yet been fitted with ADS-B transponders
Radarbox receives encoded radio messages rather than radar images. Only if that broadcast radio message contains a position report can it be plotted on radarboxes virtual map
Jono could you forward the hex code please.
I sent it via PM
Yes I understand that but the aircraft in question has mode-s which doesnt display all the time. I pick it up when it is close but it dissapears off the screen however i can hear the ATC traffic clearly....
Just wondered howcome i can hear the atc clearly but the radarbox does not show its recieving the mode-s traffic??
Quote from: Jono_Kzn on June 11, 2010, 05:26:49 PM
Yes I understand that but the aircraft in question has mode-s which doesnt display all the time. I pick it up when it is close but it dissapears off the screen however i can hear the ATC traffic clearly....
Just wondered howcome i can hear the atc clearly but the radarbox does not show its recieving the mode-s traffic??
Simple answer to this could be your RB aerial has a blind spot at where the aircraft is either on distance, direction or alt
I have a DPD antenna is there any specific tips for placement? I have it about 16 feet in the air. However there are quite a few trees around me...
Jono
Mode S radio signals are line of sight so high ground trees block the transmissions if the aircraft goes behind them.
PS I have sent you a PM on a different topic.