AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: G0HWC on July 14, 2010, 05:19:55 PM

Title: Extending USB to 50ft with CAT5
Post by: G0HWC on July 14, 2010, 05:19:55 PM
Hi all,
I need to re locate my PC and want to extend the USB and not the coax.
I have a pair of USB extenders that work on my Win 7 pc on a short run
of CAT5 but when I connect it to 50ft of CAT5 it starts to work and decode
the Airnav but within 5-10 secs it stops. Anyone else using USB extenders
on CAT5 50ft + under Windows 7  ???

What extenders are you using ?

Paul
Title: Re: Extending USB to 50ft with CAT5
Post by: bratters on July 14, 2010, 06:42:58 PM
Hi Paul

I've been using this for a long time now and it works perfectly.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10M-USB-2-0-Extension-Active-Repeater-Cable-Lead-10M-/250635224343?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a5b060517

I'm running about 13 metres in total, a bit short of your requirements, however if you have a look at Ebay I'm pretty sure that you will find 15 metre active cables available. Just mix and match and you'll be fine.
Title: Re: Extending USB to 50ft with CAT5
Post by: G0HWC on July 14, 2010, 07:23:14 PM
Thanks for that link :-)

I have been trying other CAT5 leads I have here and all others I
have seem to be fine, I think I just have a poor quality one. So I have
placed orders for 2 more and will try them.  This CAT5 with USB
extenders should be good for up to 150ft.

I will report back my findings when new parts arive

Paul
Title: Re: Extending USB to 50ft with CAT5
Post by: richk107 on July 15, 2010, 02:24:32 AM
I have been using a Icrom Ranger for about 3 months now with great success.  My cat5 run is about 30 feet with no drop outs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/iCron-Ranger-442-USB2-0-Extender-over-Cat-5-FREE-SHIP-/300445302681?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f3ef7f99


-Rich
Title: Re: Extending USB to 50ft with CAT5
Post by: Chris11 on July 15, 2010, 06:41:43 AM
I used some cheap ones and they did not work too well. A couple of times a day the ANRB showed as not being connected to the hardware. Pulling the usb out and plugging it in again would get it to reconnect.
Title: Re: Extending USB to 50ft with CAT5
Post by: t1mb0 on July 24, 2010, 08:51:38 PM
using 20m of cat5 with virtually no drops for about a year. (WindowsXP) I don't see why the windows version should make a difference.
It now looks to be discontinued but is of the unpowered(no external power) type.
Title: Re: Extending USB to 50ft with CAT5
Post by: G0HWC on July 29, 2010, 07:29:50 PM
*** UPDATE ***

Well now on 3rd set of extenders and I now sem to have a pair
that seem stable. And for infomation not ALL USB extenders work
under Windows-7.  My only problem now seems to be my HF radio
killing it with RF getting into the cat5 so I have just waiting for
another 20m cat5 lead to arive that is screened. 

I will get there in the end.

Paul
Title: Re: Extending USB to 50ft with CAT5
Post by: t1mb0 on August 03, 2010, 07:46:00 PM
I know the feeling, strip light in loft and central heating switching on and off is enough to trip mine