AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Henning on July 19, 2010, 09:03:04 AM

Title: Incorrect altitude in 3D-view
Post by: Henning on July 19, 2010, 09:03:04 AM
The altitude of the aircraft in the 3D view seems to be wrong. The expected unit for the altitudes in the 3D view is meter but the altitude values are set in feet. So all aircraft shown in the 3D view are flying much too high.

I will give an example:
An aircraft is flying at FL250. For the 3D view its altitude is calculated as 25000 feet. The 25000 are set as the altitude of the flight. But the Google Earth Plugin interprets the value as meters. In reality the aircraft is flying at an altitude of 7.62km but in the 3D view the altitude is 25km.

I hope that you will fix this error soon. It's just an easy conversion problem.
Title: Re: Incorrect altitude in 3D-view
Post by: tarbat on July 19, 2010, 10:39:19 AM
Technically you're correct, but I'm not sure I would want this "fixed".  I like the aircraft to be high enough above the ground to show separation, etc.  What do others think?

(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4114/4808398386_3af4c971b2_t.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/4808398386/sizes/o/)
Title: Re: Incorrect altitude in 3D-view
Post by: Henning on July 19, 2010, 10:49:18 AM
But at the moment I can't use the pilot's view properly. If I'm flying somewhere over Germany I can see the sea behind the Netherlands... That's not realistic.

A solution could be to calculate the altitudes technically correct but to provide an option in the preferences to set an altitude multiplicator. Then I can use the 3D view as I expected it to be and you can see the separations more clearly.

I don't like technically wrong systems!
Title: Re: Incorrect altitude in 3D-view
Post by: RodBearden on July 19, 2010, 11:00:15 AM
I agree with Henning - a default of "accurate" with the option, just like you get with Google Earth terrain, to multiply the height by a user-defined factor.

Rod
Title: Re: Incorrect altitude in 3D-view
Post by: AirNav Support on July 19, 2010, 12:46:38 PM
Thanks we have noted this.

It was done for the reason that Google Earth does allow you to zoom out quite considerbly and adding the correct levels would make everything very close together and you would need fine movements of the mouse and zoom to view things. Also with the aircraft models it would be quite cramped.

However we totally understand why you want accurate details and we have added it to the to do list for 3D.
Title: Re: Incorrect altitude in 3D-view
Post by: Henning on July 19, 2010, 12:52:18 PM
Is there a possibilty for a quick fix? Because this error should be really easy to fix (just a single division to add). I bought the RadarBox because of this 3D-functionality and now I'm a little bit disappointed that I can't really use it.
Title: Re: Incorrect altitude in 3D-view
Post by: Henning on July 27, 2010, 09:32:28 AM
When will a patch for this problem be available?
Title: Re: Incorrect altitude in 3D-view
Post by: tarbat on July 27, 2010, 09:55:54 AM
I suspect you will have to wait until the next major release, whenever that might be.

You can track progress on bug fixes at http://www.airnavsystems.com/bugs/
This is logged as no18 with severity = high.

(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4132/4834027428_cd5c821b66.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/4834027428/sizes/o/)
Title: Re: Incorrect altitude in 3D-view
Post by: Henning on October 26, 2010, 11:23:29 AM
Is anyone working on fixing the bugs??? Nothing happened since july...
Title: Re: Incorrect altitude in 3D-view
Post by: AirNav Support on October 26, 2010, 04:42:44 PM
Henning,

Apologies for the slow response in rectifying that bug. It is on the list and as with the others it is been worked on and we hope to have news soon. Once again we apologise.
Title: Re: Incorrect altitude in 3D-view
Post by: Henning on January 28, 2011, 11:23:32 PM
Half a year is gone since I posted this bug. An nothing has happened. It's just a multiplication which has to be added in the software and the bug would be fixed... I'm wondering why it takes soooooooo long to write on very simple line of code.
Title: Re: Incorrect altitude in 3D-view
Post by: Henning on January 28, 2011, 11:24:59 PM
By the way this is the line of code which is needed:

altitude = altitude * 0.3048;

Just add it to the code!!!