AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: deaphen on July 26, 2010, 05:07:30 PM

Title: Does the Radarbox transmit any signals?
Post by: deaphen on July 26, 2010, 05:07:30 PM
Hi all:

I just got my box in India, I have not heard of any other here before, except for the guys who got arrested in DEL for using it near the airport.

Since I will be using it here, I just want to make sure whether the device emits any signals that may be tracked to me or not?

No that its illegal, but the cops here wont understand. Also, there are lots of millitary flights around where I live, so just want to be on the safe side.

Do let me know
Warm regards
Deaphen
Title: Re: Does the Radarbox transmit any signals?
Post by: eggplant on July 26, 2010, 10:09:38 PM
Hi Deaphen,

My understanding is that the aerial is used for reception purposes only, no transmission is emitted. However you should be aware that if you are connected to the internet the Airnav software will by default transmit your data over the internet to the Airnav network. This leaves you traceable via your IP address. You can disable the internet transmission (uncheck then"share flight data" box in prefences), but remember you have to do this each and every time you start the software. Naturally there may be a short time between starting the software and you completing the nuisance procedure to disable sharing in which you are traceable. I would suggest that if you have concerns in this regard you disable your internet connection before and throughout using the unit.

Airnav may wish to comment further

Best Regards

John
Title: Re: Does the Radarbox transmit any signals?
Post by: air7677 on July 26, 2010, 10:53:58 PM
Quote from: deaphen on July 26, 2010, 05:07:30 PM
Hi all:

I just got my box in India, I have not heard of any other here before, except for the guys who got arrested in DEL for using it near the airport.

Since I will be using it here, I just want to make sure whether the device emits any signals that may be tracked to me or not?

No that its illegal, but the cops here wont understand. Also, there are lots of millitary flights around where I live, so just want to be on the safe side.

Do let me know
Warm regards
Deaphen

Hi.Deaphen
Keep on the safe side, tell no one you have got a airnav, we where in the same
boat as you when we used radio scanners to listen to the military in ireland
Regards S.F.
Title: Re: Does the Radarbox transmit any signals?
Post by: CoastGuardJon on July 28, 2010, 04:20:24 PM
..........and just because you're paranoid doesn't mean the b*ggers aren't out to get you!

and we're a very easy option............
Title: Re: Does the Radarbox transmit any signals?
Post by: Chris11 on August 02, 2010, 02:15:10 PM
Maybe you should read this
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1252898/British-plane-spotters-facing-years-Indian-prison.html#ixzz0vSCTPotc
Title: Re: Does the Radarbox transmit any signals?
Post by: DaveReid on August 02, 2010, 03:56:47 PM
Quote from: Chris11 on August 02, 2010, 02:15:10 PMMaybe you should read this
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1252898/British-plane-spotters-facing-years-Indian-prison.html#ixzz0vSCTPotc

"British plane spotters facing years in Indian prison" ?

That's very old news, and it didn't come to that - they were fined and returned to the UK in March.

But no reason to be imprudent when indulging in our hobby.
Title: Re: Does the Radarbox transmit any signals?
Post by: BOM1 on August 03, 2010, 12:06:28 PM
Deaphen

I had my Radarbox up and running and sharing with the network  for approx 2 years when I lived in Mumbai without any problems.  I travelled through many airports in India and had no issues with it.  All I would say is, just be discreet.

Steve