AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Jordan on August 06, 2010, 04:42:05 PM

Title: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: Jordan on August 06, 2010, 04:42:05 PM
Mine was around 320-330nm away from home...
I remember seeing that ADS-B works till around 250, so whats your farthest catch?
Title: Re: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: DaveReid on August 06, 2010, 05:12:35 PM
Quote from: Jordan on August 06, 2010, 04:42:05 PM
Mine was around 320-330nm away from home...
I remember seeing that ADS-B works till around 250, so whats your farthest catch?

Out of interest, what aircraft did you pick up at that range ?
Title: Re: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: air7677 on August 06, 2010, 05:15:20 PM
Quote from: Jordan on August 06, 2010, 04:42:05 PM
Mine was around 320-330nm away from home...
I remember seeing that ADS-B works till around 250, so whats your farthest catch?

I have seen posts on here over the last two years  from people getting a lift as they call it from atmospheric conditions, if that is the case it could be many hundredths of miles.
There are many web sites that try to predict this  but a interesting question all the same.
from S.F
Title: Re: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: Jordan on August 06, 2010, 05:50:24 PM
Dave, pretty sure it was both Airbus. Certainly not from the network, since it expired. and both were on MyFlights.

air7677 it dependes not only on Atmospheric conditions but also the frequency, im not sure that on these freqs it has such a big impact...
Title: Re: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: bratters on August 06, 2010, 08:15:52 PM
Quote from: DaveReid on August 06, 2010, 05:12:35 PM
Quote from: Jordan on August 06, 2010, 04:42:05 PM
Mine was around 320-330nm away from home...
I remember seeing that ADS-B works till around 250, so whats your farthest catch?

Out of interest, what aircraft did you pick up at that range ?

I bet dodgy Gulfstreams don't count Dave  :)
Title: Re: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: DaveReid on August 07, 2010, 08:10:31 AM
Quote from: bratters on August 06, 2010, 08:15:52 PMI bet dodgy Gulfstreams don't count Dave  :)

Or ATPs :-)
Title: Re: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: imropes on August 07, 2010, 03:28:56 PM
N23M Altitude and height jumping wildly. Does 480 at 8,500miles win a prize? G5. ( Think it climbed out of Manch)
Title: Re: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: bratters on August 07, 2010, 04:14:59 PM
Quote from: imropes on August 07, 2010, 03:28:56 PM
N23M Altitude and height jumping wildly. Does 480 at 8,500miles win a prize? G5. ( Think it climbed out of Manch)

Like we said, dodgy Gulfstreams are ten a penny. The question is why?
Title: Re: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: DaveReid on August 07, 2010, 04:33:48 PM
Quote from: bratters on August 07, 2010, 04:14:59 PMLike we said, dodgy Gulfstreams are ten a penny. The question is why?

Ask AirNav, it appears to be a bug that's specific to RadarBox.

See http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2350.msg19703#msg19703
Title: Re: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: bratters on August 07, 2010, 07:12:01 PM
I recall that thread Dave but it ended inconclusively. As for specific to Airnav,
kdt1 wrote "I have experienced gulfs transmitting the wrong positions in my area with the SBS, haven't seen it yet with the RB as I think they have fix them."

I'll keep an open mind on the reasons why but for the distance fanatics among us, healthy scepticism on Gulfstream positions is recommended.
Title: Re: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: DaveReid on August 07, 2010, 08:04:37 PM
Quote from: bratters on August 07, 2010, 07:12:01 PMI recall that thread Dave but it ended inconclusively. As for specific to Airnav,
kdt1 wrote "I have experienced gulfs transmitting the wrong positions in my area with the SBS, haven't seen it yet with the RB as I think they have fix them."

I'll keep an open mind on the reasons why but for the distance fanatics among us, healthy scepticism on Gulfstream positions is recommended.

Quite so.

And in fact the phomenon of a decoding bug being specific to one (or other) manufacturer's box isn't a new one.  Those with long memories will remember the Challenger position decoding bug that affected the SBS in the early days.  Many, myself included, assumed it was an aircraft encoding issue, so we were all surprised when the problem disappeared after a Kinetic software/firmware upgrade (I forget which). 

If the RadarBox had been around at the time, I would expect it not to have exhibited the Challenger bug, as clearly the two boxes don't share software or firmware.  It works both ways.
Title: Re: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: Jordan on August 07, 2010, 11:07:31 PM
Just received 2 Air Berlin aircraft 345nm away,
one A320 DABDG and one 738 DABBT.
Although the Polar Diagram dont stretch all the way to their position..
Title: Re: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: bratters on August 08, 2010, 09:07:33 AM
Quote from: Jordan on August 07, 2010, 11:07:31 PM
Just received 2 Air Berlin aircraft 345nm away,
one A320 DABDG and one 738 DABBT.
Although the Polar Diagram dont stretch all the way to their position..

Hi jordan - where are you based and what's your setup regarding aerial type and position?

Not quite sure what you mean when you say Polar Diag. doesn't stretch that far. It's the Polar Diagram that marks the positions - true or false notwithstanding - hence spikes.
If it reads 345nm in the Distance column, then clicking on the flight should flash up the aircraft on your Polar diag.
Title: Re: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: orkney on August 08, 2010, 09:20:28 AM
hello

I think the polar diagram is limited to a certain distance to try and limit spikes (250-300NM?) since when we used to get TF-BBH going past it showed up as being over France but didn't extend our polar diagram however we do have a spike of about 300NM out over Norway. which is about 3x our range in that direction so I would say it was a bad position. Perhaps airnav could confirm what the limit is.

Andrew
Title: Re: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: bratters on August 08, 2010, 10:11:43 AM
You might be right about that Andrew.

Allowing for memory playing tricks,  I seem to recall plotting rogue Gulfs over West Africa, South America and mid-atlantic at one time or another and they showed up clear as a bell when I panned out.

However now that I think about it, and as you rightly point out, there were no spikes.

So the conclusion must be that Polar Diagram is limited and, as you ask, how far therefore is the limit?

John
Title: Re: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: bratters on August 08, 2010, 01:10:37 PM
Further to the above, the maximum distance on my polar diagram is to a spike in the NE at 320nm. Anyone got anything further out?
Title: Re: Whats the farthest aircraft you ever receivd?
Post by: Jordan on August 08, 2010, 04:19:22 PM
Quote from: bratters on August 08, 2010, 09:07:33 AM
Quote from: Jordan on August 07, 2010, 11:07:31 PM
Just received 2 Air Berlin aircraft 345nm away,
one A320 DABDG and one 738 DABBT.
Although the Polar Diagram dont stretch all the way to their position..

Hi jordan - where are you based and what's your setup regarding aerial type and position?

Not quite sure what you mean when you say Polar Diag. doesn't stretch that far. It's the Polar Diagram that marks the positions - true or false notwithstanding - hence spikes.
If it reads 345nm in the Distance column, then clicking on the flight should flash up the aircraft on your Polar diag.

Well without going into specifiec about where I live, I can tell you that I live in a 12 storey bulding on the 8th floor, with nothing higher then me for hundreds of miles (the sea :) )