AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Allocator on March 07, 2008, 09:38:36 AM

Title: Excellent Conditions at Present
Post by: Allocator on March 07, 2008, 09:38:36 AM
The weather and pressure conditions do seem to make a difference to the number of live tracks seen.  I've noticed particularly this week that I'm getting about 50 percent more live tracks.  I've seen this to good effect when using the standard antenna on the window ledge in the office at work.  I'm on the ground floor and screened by the building itself and adjacent buildings, but I'm still getting 30-40 live tracks out to about 100 miles.

And of course, the additional functions of RadarBox 2008 make it even better!

Allocator
Title: Re: Excellent Conditions at Present
Post by: AirNav Support on March 07, 2008, 09:43:21 AM
The site below is excellent for atmospheric conditions.

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html
Title: Re: Excellent Conditions at Present
Post by: tarbat on March 07, 2008, 09:51:49 AM
I'm actually finding airband reception conditions quite poor at the moment, and 1090MHz coverage seems about average.  Maybe this is a regional variation.

I use http://www.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/ham/aprs/path.cgi?map=eu for VHF Propogation info.
Title: Re: Excellent Conditions at Present
Post by: Allocator on March 07, 2008, 09:54:09 AM
Quote from: tarbat on March 07, 2008, 09:51:49 AM
I'm actually finding airband reception conditions quite poor at the moment, and 1090MHz coverage seems about average.  Maybe this is a regional variation.

I use http://www.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/ham/aprs/path.cgi?map=eu for VHF Propogation info.

That's the problem of being in the "frozen north" :-)
Title: Re: Excellent Conditions at Present
Post by: Allocator on March 07, 2008, 07:26:06 PM
This is a screenshot from the office today - live tracks only

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2084/2316533814_9156675b93.jpg)

And this is the high-tech antenna system being used - note the office is on the ground floor. The tin is a coffee tin, although I haven't tested a biscuit tin yet :-)

(http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3292/2316533816_b6602c1459.jpg)
Title: Re: Excellent Conditions at Present
Post by: mt007 on March 07, 2008, 07:39:38 PM
Great allocator,
:):):)
Title: Re: Excellent Conditions at Present
Post by: Allocator on March 07, 2008, 08:22:58 PM
And this is the picture from home with the external antenna - better all round coverage due to the better antenna position.  Live tracks only.

(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2099/2316557441_19bb992eda.jpg)