Hey folks, located in the Lake District here with many aircraft flying overhead. Been listening for over 10 years now and not managed to hear any ATC Base Transmissions.
I have a SSJ VHF antenna on my chimney and able to hear aircraft from as far away as 250-300 miles.
Ive been advised an amplifier situated close to the antenna may help.
Can anyone recommend one or have one for sale second hand?
Cheers
James
It's pretty unlikely that an amplifier will help. If the signals aren't getting to the antenna in the first place then the amplifier can't amplify a signal that isn't there.
I am only seven miles from my local airport and most of the time don't hear the tower.
With the squelch turned to its max, I can sometimes hear the ATC, but not always.
JB
So there is a signal present.
The amplifier will amplify the background as well as the signal.
So not really worth it then? Ive looked around the internet and not actually found a masthead amplifier specifically for the 118-135 band, can you point me in the right direction?
Cheers
I don't know if there are mast head amplifiers available specifically for airband. I guess somebody, somewhere may supply one.
There is the JIM M 75 which attaches to the scanner
http://www.haydon.info/38_scanner_accs.htm (http://www.haydon.info/38_scanner_accs.htm)
and Wimo supplies a wideband masthead, the LNA 5000
http://wimo.de/framesetp_e.html (http://wimo.de/framesetp_e.html)
but I really don't believe these will help.
Garex
WWW.Garex.co.uk do a airband amplifier uses either batteries or mains
Mine is still working after 4 years
Thanks for those links, ive had a look around and purchased a Garex airband preamplifier - will get back to you with results in a few days, cheers
James