Good evening,
I am getting a little fed up with neagtive comments about Airnave from SBS1 users. Largely this centres on the outdated database and incorrect data. I know that efforts are being made to rsolve this and ther is another thread that deals with updates. My query is how close is Airnav to solving the update problems? Additionally are the updates currently being made by fellow users available to all i.e. is the core database updated or do we have to do something ourselves?
Thanks
David
The Central database is being updated by our Database Updater's who are doing a fantastic job getting it up to date. If you pickup new aircraft not in your database its likely they would have been checked by the team and you will have the latest known record.
The next stage, the local database being updated to older records you already have requires a software update. This is being worked on, we did mention there were a few other items blocking the development on this but it is getting there. While we can't give timelines at the moment, rest assured it will be soon. We understand the issues surrouding this and it will be rectified soon.
The SBS users can talk all they want about these issues, maybe you should ask them about whether there network has been released yet, 5 years later than planned or whether there software actually comes with a route or aircraft database :) Most of them like to make a fuss about us just so they can be happy with the choice they made.
Adding to our support wrote we, unfortunately, have had since the begining a strong criticism from some SBS users. The others simply upgrade to RadarBox. We believe this happened because SBS had the monopoly of this market and Radarbox suddently came and is now leading sales, especially after the release of RadarBox 3D. The more success we have, the more criticism we get.
In our opinion and despite not liking to write about it, SBS is a lost project, with constant rumours that it is about to be disconetinued, SBS worldwide distribution has been recently withdrawn from ML&S and is back at Kinetic who also took ML&S sales manager: all this because of extremelly weak sales and total lack product support by ML&S. SBS didn't have a relevant software upgrade for 5 years and relies on third party addons that sometimes are discontinued by their authors.
Anyway taking in account the massive number of ex-SBS users that upgrade to RadarBox on a weekly basis sooner or later all of them will also upgrade to RadarBox.
I wouldn't blow that trumpet too hard.
If my radarbox packed up tomorrow, then I would seriously be looking at getting the SBS-1er.
Built in airband, allowing one box for all all things aviation is more of a seller to me than watching a 3d display of my received aircraft.
I don't really care for photos of the aircraft I receive either. Yes it look nice but most of know what an A320 looks like.
Don't get me wrong, the radarbox is a wonderful piece of kit but it's not cheap so most of us aren't in a position to 'upgrade' to anyone else's box. We'll use it until it packs up and then look for the best one the market for a replacement. (if the novelty hasn't worn off by then)
If that is Airnav's then so be it. But at the moment, for me it's Kinetics.
Steve
Quote from: jetset on September 28, 2010, 10:00:03 PM
I wouldn't blow that trumpet too hard.
If my radarbox packed up tomorrow, then I would seriously be looking at getting the SBS-1er.
Built in airband, allowing one box for all all things aviation is more of a seller to me than watching a 3d display of my received aircraft.
I don't really care for photos of the aircraft I receive either. Yes it look nice but most of know what an A320 looks like.
Don't get me wrong, the radarbox is a wonderful piece of kit but it's not cheap so most of us aren't in a position to 'upgrade' to anyone else's box. We'll use it until it packs up and then look for the best one the market for a replacement. (if the novelty hasn't worn off by then)
If that is Airnav's then so be it. But at the moment, for me it's Kinetics.
Steve
The build in airband is the worst i have heard in years, my own airband receivers
had no problems, on my SBS-1er airband receiver its pagers and local taxi firms a heap of junk, i have both and airnav is my number one.
Why, Why, Why
QuoteThe SBS users can talk all they want about these issues, maybe you should ask them about whether there network has been released yet, 5 years later than planned or whether there software actually comes with a route or aircraft database :) Most of them like to make a fuss about us just so they can be happy with the choice they made.
QuoteAdding to our support wrote we, unfortunately, have had since the begining a strong criticism from some SBS users. The others simply upgrade to RadarBox. We believe this happened because SBS had the monopoly of this market and Radarbox suddently came and is now leading sales, especially after the release of RadarBox 3D. The more success we have, the more criticism we get.
In our opinion and despite not liking to write about it, SBS is a lost project, with constant rumours that it is about to be disconetinued, SBS worldwide distribution has been recently withdrawn from ML&S and is back at Kinetic who also took ML&S sales manager: all this because of extremelly weak sales and total lack product support by ML&S. SBS didn't have a relevant software upgrade for 5 years and relies on third party addons that sometimes are discontinued by their authors.
Anyway taking in account the massive number of ex-SBS users that upgrade to RadarBox on a weekly basis sooner or later all of them will also upgrade to RadarBox.
Why when anybody criticism AirNav it's wrong and not aloud on here, but when they do it it's fine - Strange that.
Maybe because this is Airnav's site? ;)
I can't comment on the SBS box as I have never used it,I did look at it before I decided on the Radarbox. On the whole I think I made the right choice.
The problem with flight / route data is that it is not an exact science, unless Airnav manage to hook into the central flight data computer in Brussels! So we are left with a choice of what suits us,as individuals best, Radarbox or SBS. For my purposes Radarbox is my flavour of choice, for others it is SBS,so be it. My sympathies lie with Airnav in trying to draw together,from very diverse sources, a solution to this problem.It is not easy & the old adage "You can't please all of the people all of the time" is particularly relevent here.
I must admit to being hacked of with the constant negativity on here at times. The Radarbox is not perfect,neither from what I gather is the SBS, but I don't see the point of some of the obstructive,disparaging & petty remarks made on here recently.
Of course we would all like Radarbox to be all singing & dancing, but under prevailing circumstances that will be even more difficult to achieve.
Nicely summed up abrad41
The hypocricy of this crowd is unbelievable
Software development is something that is never finished (just have a look at how many versions Windows has and how complete Windows 7 is): that's why we've released 4 versions of the RadarBox software in 3 years and continue to work to improve our systems.
Unlike SBS which had no development in 5 years and relies on third party addons that can or cannot be reliable without the manufacturer being responsible for them, RadarBox (despite being 100% compatible with almost these addons) is an integrated system with hundreds of features inside a single software provided by one single company.
RadarBox comes with integrated photo download, integrated network, integrated flight and aircraft information, integrated maps, integrated 3D and all of these features need a constant fine-tuning. The system is so reliable at this time that is has even been used on the 787 project and Canadian Space Program but, there is always a but, software development is never finished and improvements can always be made.
The most important is that we keep the discussions going on in a positive manner: the more suggestions and input we get from users the better will the software look in the future.
Nicely summed up Brimon.
The hypocrisy of that crowd is unbelievable.
Let's keep this thread as positive as possible, no negative comments please.
Work never stops at AirNav Systems and users that have stayed with us since the begining know very well what this means and will mean in the future. :-)
At the end of the day I have paid for the AirNav box. I am happy to say that I am pleased with the way it works. I cant really say anything about the SBS box as I dont own one. I did look at them whilst making my mind up what box I should buy. From what I have read though I still think I bought the right one for me. There will always be differences in products you buy. Its good to know that the box might be upgraded soon too. Problems I have had have quickly been sorted by AirNav support. Keep up the good work AirNav.
Good afternoon folks,
Thanks for all of the replies. My comments weren't meant to be negative and apologies if this was the case. I have used Airnav for 3 years and I am happy with the product. Yes I did look at the competition before making my decision but consider that I have made the right choice.
I just get cheesed off with SBS users sitting in judgement!
Thanks
David
Quote from: Balding Badger on September 29, 2010, 12:34:17 PM
I just get cheesed off with SBS users sitting in judgement!
I do too, but too me its just like what car is better,Ford or Vauxhall,each to their own
I use both devices. I find SBS better (marginally) at home but Radarbox is great on the road and the small size is great to fit in the laptop bag.
The only gripe with Radarbox software is having to click to edit each field in the database rather than just per record.
Much better if both sides stop sniping at each other.
I
Quote from: flybhx on September 29, 2010, 06:01:04 PM
I use both devices. I find SBS better (marginally) at home but Radarbox is great on the road and the small size is great to fit in the laptop bag.
The only gripe with Radarbox software is having to click to edit each field in the database rather than just per record.
Much better if both sides stop sniping at each other.
Agree with you, but i like the radar box at home, i run the two at the same time,
different aerial, the radar box layout is good, i regretted buying the sbs at the start because its download this and download that, but it runs OK for me, then i hear they hired Chris as a last resort, maybe a good time to sell it.