AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: RobinB on October 30, 2010, 08:14:09 AM

Title: Airbus A380 BBC news programme
Post by: RobinB on October 30, 2010, 08:14:09 AM
BBC news are giving an insight into A380 operation.

Details of programme, show times and a preview.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/fast_track/9137352.stm
Title: Re: Airbus A380 BBC news programme
Post by: orkney on October 30, 2010, 11:59:07 AM
Hi

This would have been interesting and was going to set to record but on further investigation you cannot get this in the UK without pointing your sky dish a different direction. :(

Claire
Title: Re: Airbus A380 BBC news programme
Post by: eggplant on October 30, 2010, 05:08:11 PM
Strange... I can get BBC World News without re-aligning my dish. I am in the UK.

I'll let you know what the programme was like !
Title: Re: Airbus A380 BBC news programme
Post by: phil zech on October 30, 2010, 07:36:14 PM
You can get BBC News on the Sky platform but not BBC World. It is not available in the UK.

Its what you receive in hotels around the world.


Phil
Title: Re: Airbus A380 BBC news programme
Post by: eggplant on October 30, 2010, 10:17:39 PM
I am in UK and watched the programme on BBC World News, received from satellite Hotbird 6.
Title: Re: Airbus A380 BBC news programme
Post by: phil zech on October 31, 2010, 07:08:33 AM
Yes, but that is not Sky , which is what 10 million homes have access to.

Sky is on Astra, for which you would have to re-align your dish.
Title: Re: Airbus A380 BBC news programme
Post by: eggplant on October 31, 2010, 08:28:45 AM
About 60 million users (yes, everyone) in the UK are able to access Hotbird 6. I don't recall re-aligning my dish. Perhaps I did it in my sleep or something ! Either that or I must have been in a "hotel around the world" rather than my own lounge. I must say I thought I was in my lounge.

Eitherway, no point in arguing about it. If you would like a copy of the programme PM me.
Title: Re: Airbus A380 BBC news programme
Post by: tarbat on October 31, 2010, 08:41:25 AM
Quote from: eggplant on October 30, 2010, 10:17:39 PMI am in UK and watched the programme on BBC World News, received from satellite Hotbird 6.

I thought hotbird 6 was at 13E, and the Sky satellites at 28.2E.
Maybe you can share the reception details so we call all tune it at 28.2E.
- Frequency?
- Polarisation?
- Symbol Rate?
- FEC?

Can't find it on 28.2E at http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-Kingdom.html
Title: Re: Airbus A380 BBC news programme
Post by: eggplant on October 31, 2010, 01:12:44 PM
Seems to be some confusion here... Hotbird 6 is indeed at 13E. Full details of the transmissions are here :-

http://www.lyngsat.com/hb6.html (http://www.lyngsat.com/hb6.html)

I can't comment on the Sky possible receptions as I don't have it. As my dish has always been orientated to 13E I didn't need to re-align. I'm sure I am not the only person in UK with a dish pointing to 13E ! I was just making the point that BBC World News is available in UK.

The programme only contained about 5 mins of the A380. I have posted it on Youtube here for anyone interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG6K43cUq5w (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG6K43cUq5w)

Be quick - as it may get removed if there are copyright concerns !
Title: Re: Airbus A380 BBC news programme
Post by: RodBearden on October 31, 2010, 01:49:05 PM
Thanks, Eggplant - interesting clip.

Rod