AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: chewycanes on November 15, 2010, 03:33:46 PM

Title: Alerts
Post by: chewycanes on November 15, 2010, 03:33:46 PM
Hi

I picked up an Italian Mil plane dropping into london earlier today and i got an alert on ModeS '33F*' as expected.

I have just noticed the same plane departing london but did not get an alert.

Checked the alert log and it showed the earlier detection but not one for the later detection.

Is this because i already have the ModeS alert for that aircraft for today still in my alerts log ?

Brian
Title: Re: Alerts
Post by: Chris11 on November 15, 2010, 03:44:12 PM
Yes - you need to delete that Alert
Title: Re: Alerts
Post by: chewycanes on November 15, 2010, 03:52:01 PM
Hi
Thanks for that Chris.
You learn something everyday.

Brian
Title: Re: Alerts
Post by: Tramline on November 16, 2010, 01:06:51 AM
Quote from: Chris11 on November 15, 2010, 03:44:12 PM
Yes - you need to delete that Alert

How do you delete the alert?

Cheers
Title: Re: Alerts
Post by: chewycanes on November 16, 2010, 04:13:05 AM
Hi

I posted the initial question and i think it is as follows but stand to be corrected if i am wrong as i have not yet got to tested it out.

I have the alert set up for sound and message only so i don't know what happens for email and execute a file and if there is a similar problem. Perhaps someone else can explain ?

The alert message comes up on the bottom right hand screen.

If you just close the message by clicking on top righthand corner of message then the alert messages stack-up. (ie when you recieve further alerts it tells you how many alerts you have had at the bottom of the message).

This was what i was doing so when the same aircraft took off later i did not get an alert as it was still in my alerts.

If though you click on the red cross at the bottom of the alert message it deletes that alert.

I also assume that when you delete the alert it will still remain in the alert log so you can still view the alerts for the day.



Brian
Title: Re: Alerts
Post by: GreekSpy2001 on November 16, 2010, 01:18:07 PM
From my experience the Alert functionality only alerts on a particular aircraft once every day(refresh after midnight), unless the Alert log is cleared, or the SW is restarted.  So if you live near an airport you'll get alert for an inbound but not for the susequent departure (assumming departure is before midnight that day)

I frequently clear my alert log to make sure I don't miss a second hit on the alerts.  Wish there was an option to switch alerting for every instance.  Airnav?

Graham
Title: Re: Alerts
Post by: RodBearden on November 16, 2010, 04:11:19 PM
Graham

We would need to have a user-variable absence delay, oethwise we would get a fresh alert every time a plane's signals were obscured behind a tree or building, but yes, I think that would be a good idea.

Rod
Title: Re: Alerts
Post by: AirNav Support on November 16, 2010, 04:49:47 PM
It does work per session or if you remove the alert from the list.

It is done as Rod says that otherwise you could end up with a couple of alerts per aircraft that appears each time.

We will add it to the requests for the next version.
Title: Re: Alerts
Post by: chewycanes on November 16, 2010, 06:05:22 PM
Hi
Sounds like a good idea to me.

Thanks for all the comments and help and i look forward to the next issue.

Brian
Title: Re: Alerts
Post by: GreekSpy2001 on November 17, 2010, 07:35:14 PM
The JSTARS app Alerting seems to get around the problem.  It has what the author describes as a Double Traffic reduction filter, not sure what it filters maybe time since last alert?

Cheers

Graham
Title: Re: Alerts
Post by: NF2G on November 24, 2010, 08:03:23 PM
I see multiple alerts for the same aircraft if I am at the computer, but they only log once in the alerts log.

I have not had good luck with the JSTARS double filter, so I leave it off.  It is supposed to keep the same aircraft from being listed twice within a short time period.  In my experience, sometimes it prevents the aircraft from being logged at all.

Also, the second hit on a military aircraft is usually the one that carries the callsign.
Title: Re: Alerts
Post by: chewycanes on November 25, 2010, 07:32:13 AM
Hi NF2G
You are right.

When i do get a military alerts more often than not it is the second alert that contains the callsign.

The question is why do we get two alerts if the software has been developed to stop multiple alerts being generated by aircraft going behind trees etc..

One reason could be because i have one alert set up for ModeS (ie 43C*) and another for Flight ID (ie RRR*) for RAF aircraft.

I will temporarily remove one of the alerts and see what happens ?

Brian


Title: Re: Alerts
Post by: chewycanes on November 25, 2010, 03:38:54 PM
Hi
I was getting two alerts for the same aircraft due to the two types of alerts i set-up.

In removing the 'RRR*' alert i only got the first alert for '43C*' but without a Flight ID. I have re-instated the two alerts on basis it give some extra back-up.

I do think that if possible a bit more information could be displayed in the Alert Log such as a 'Time Stamp'.

Perhaps something Airnav might consider when they look at this for the next version.

Brian
Title: Re: Alerts
Post by: NF2G on November 29, 2010, 07:26:43 AM
I agree with the timestamp suggestion for the log.