AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Johnn on November 17, 2010, 09:48:52 PM

Title: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: Johnn on November 17, 2010, 09:48:52 PM
I have had the network on delayed for sometime ( free year with the box) Can anyone tell me who is subscribed to the real time network.. is it worth it? can you see the difference from delayed to  live? also isnt it a 30sec delay or something?
Thanks
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: AirNav Support on November 17, 2010, 09:55:37 PM
There is no delay :) for the realtime network.
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: RodBearden on November 17, 2010, 09:58:40 PM
Johnn

There is no noticable delay on the live network - it's refreshed every 20 seconds rather than the 30 seconds on the delayed network.

When you watch a plane on the live network coming into your area, the transition to MyFlights is very smooth. I like the live network for several reasons, for example I can't see Manchester airport on myflights, but other RadarBox uses can, so I get live info about takeoffs from there. With a five minute delay, they would be past me before they appeared on the delayed network.

Similarly, anyone with big gaps in their local coverage, perhaps because of a local hill or tall building, will have seamless coverage as long as there are other RadarBox sharers in the area.

As an extra, when I'm watching live tennis from distant places like New York or Melbourne, when a noisy plane flies over, I can check it out on RadarBox.

I like it!

Rod
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: Tailwinds on November 17, 2010, 10:08:36 PM
Quote from: RodBearden on November 17, 2010, 09:58:40 PM
Johnn

There is no noticable delay on the live network - it's refreshed every 20 seconds rather than the 30 seconds on the delayed network.


So still a delay then?...20 seconds instead of 30 seconds.
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: AirNav Support on November 17, 2010, 10:11:55 PM
Not quite Tailwinds, That is just how many times the download takes place to get the new data.

Once that data is downloaded it is real time for that moment. The delayed network, what you download is 5 minutes old.
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: flanker on November 18, 2010, 08:22:25 AM
What happened to the idea of 'earning' network access if you made your radarbox available to the network? Also, I thought 5 minute delay access was included indefinitely but I've received an email telling me to re-subscribe or I'll lose the delayed access?? Have we always had to pay for delayed access or has their been a change in policy there?
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: AirNav Support on November 18, 2010, 08:37:35 AM
There has been no change of policy. The delayed network was provided free for a year when purchasing a  new RadarBox. After which its your choice whether you want to continue.

Regarding earning network access. That was mulled over back in 2007 when we released RadarBox but was never taken on. The server costs (dev, support) were too high not to pass on to the customer.
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: flanker on November 18, 2010, 03:07:00 PM
Thanks for the reply airnav support!
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: gary.nichols on November 19, 2010, 08:26:56 AM
Quote from: Johnn on November 17, 2010, 09:48:52 PM
I have had the network on delayed for sometime ( free year with the box) Can anyone tell me who is subscribed to the real time network.. is it worth it? can you see the difference from delayed to  live? also isnt it a 30sec delay or something?
Thanks

If you look at http://www.planefinder.net/ you can access the realtime network for free. I have emailed AirNav about this and I'm a little annoyed at buying a £400 unit and still have to pay for a subscription for something that is free to everyone else. There is also an APP for the Iphone which also gives you real time access.
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: Chris11 on November 19, 2010, 08:39:15 AM
That is not the realtime network. That is data submitted by users of the various products submitting data. There is not one person in my country that submits data to them but there are some with Radarboxes that share theri data.
Planfinder is useless for me
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: AirNav Support on November 19, 2010, 08:52:16 AM
Hi Gary,

This is common question about why we charge for the network. The reason is simply the cost to us has to be passed on to the customers. The cost comes down to the following reasons:

1.) Bandwidth costs of sharing (Downloading on the iPhone compared to downloading every 20 seconds on a PC is quite different in terms of bandwidth)
2.) Development/Support of the server
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: gary.nichols on November 19, 2010, 09:03:12 AM
It may not be the realtime network but it is accurate  and much better than the delayed network from airnav and it costs nothing. I can view aircraft within range of my Radarbox and compare it to Planefinder and they both show the aircraft to be in the same place, this is realtime to me. If you think you are getting value for money paying for  realtime then that is up to you.
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: Runway 31 on November 19, 2010, 09:13:26 AM
Each to their own Gary, if you dont like it dont pay for it. Users choice.   Iphones dont come cheap and their airtime isnt free either.

Alan
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: gary.nichols on November 19, 2010, 09:24:03 AM
Quote from: AirNav Support on November 19, 2010, 08:52:16 AM
Hi Gary,

This is common question about why we charge for the network. The reason is simply the cost to us has to be passed on to the customers. The cost comes down to the following reasons:

1.) Bandwidth costs of sharing (Downloading on the iPhone compared to downloading every 20 seconds on a PC is quite different in terms of bandwidth)
2.) Development/Support of the server

I can understand that it costs more to offer this service but why is it double the cost of the delayed network which updates every 30 seconds. Why don't you scrap the delayed network and offer a cheaper realtime service.
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: flightinair on November 19, 2010, 10:05:34 AM
hi Alan   and Gary
Totally agree with you Alan, i pay £54 a year to have a five minute delay  but it suits me,  but then airnav-3d is way over my budget three installment of 125 euros for 3d and you nearly have a new a new airnav box, and Gary i fully understand your frustration, but i still  love my airnav box expenses and all.
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: dl1812 on November 19, 2010, 11:13:52 AM
Quote from: gary.nichols on November 19, 2010, 09:03:12 AM
It may not be the realtime network but it is accurate  and much better than the delayed network from airnav and it costs nothing. I can view aircraft within range of my Radarbox and compare it to Planefinder and they both show the aircraft to be in the same place, this is realtime to me. If you think you are getting value for money paying for  realtime then that is up to you.

Gary,

I live between Heathrow and Gatwick, and have Planefinder on iPhone.
Both are useful for different reasons for me, but in my case RB shows more high level flights than Planefinder; low level is about the same I'd say.
As someone else has ponted out, it's up to the individual.

DL
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: gary.nichols on November 19, 2010, 11:47:41 AM
Quote from: dl1812 on November 19, 2010, 11:13:52 AM
Quote from: gary.nichols on November 19, 2010, 09:03:12 AM
It may not be the realtime network but it is accurate  and much better than the delayed network from airnav and it costs nothing. I can view aircraft within range of my Radarbox and compare it to Planefinder and they both show the aircraft to be in the same place, this is realtime to me. If you think you are getting value for money paying for  realtime then that is up to you.

Gary,

I live between Heathrow and Gatwick, and have Planefinder on iPhone.
Both are useful for different reasons for me, but in my case RB shows more high level flights than Planefinder; low level is about the same I'd say.
As someone else has ponted out, it's up to the individual.

DL

Hi, I do appreciate that Planefinder may not show as much as RB. However I watch ANZ 1&2 schedule flight to and from New Zealand. What I find frustrating with the 5 min delay is that I can see the flight appear in the north sea sooner on an Iphone than on my£500 (with 3D) unit. My subscription is due in January and I may bite the bullet and buy it because it is conveniant and built into the software. I don't wish to offend anybody who pays for realtime it is an individual choice but I still think it is expensive on top of what we have all paid for the RB when others are managing to offer similar (maybe not as good) for free.
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: Runway 31 on November 19, 2010, 12:56:32 PM
Theres a problem then if you see ANZ 1 and 2 over the North Sea as they dont go in that direction.  Up over Scotland and the Atlantic. 

As has been said before if you dont want to pay there are alternatives but I am sure you took all that into account when making your purchase decision. 

I hear of people using the "free" alternatives and then complaining they miss aircraft or it hasnt a particular asset.  You pay your money, or not as the case me be and you make your choice its all up to the individual user.

Alan
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: Tailwinds on November 19, 2010, 09:00:11 PM
How much is the 'Real Time' Network? I can't seem to find anything on Airnavs Home page of their website. Only ANRB and 3D.
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: AirNav Support on November 19, 2010, 09:42:06 PM
http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/order.html
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: Johnn on November 19, 2010, 09:43:51 PM
Quote from: Tailwinds on November 19, 2010, 09:00:11 PM
How much is the 'Real Time' Network? I can't seem to find anything on Airnavs Home page of their website. Only ANRB and 3D.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/order.html

Is the realtime network in real-time? because whats the 30sec refresh for?
Thanks
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: RobinB on November 19, 2010, 10:03:42 PM
I think airnav have an uphill struggle on this as there are quite a few free websites or several once off payment sites at a considerable cheaper price.

It would be nice to see a comparison of differences.
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: gary.nichols on November 19, 2010, 11:50:07 PM
Quote from: Johnn on November 19, 2010, 09:43:51 PM
Quote from: Tailwinds on November 19, 2010, 09:00:11 PM
How much is the 'Real Time' Network? I can't seem to find anything on Airnavs Home page of their website. Only ANRB and 3D.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/order.html

Is the realtime network in real-time? because whats the 30sec refresh for?
Thanks

The 5 minute delay has a refresh time of 30 secs. The realtime has a refresh of 20 secs which gives time for data to be retreived and transmitted to realtime users.
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: Tailwinds on November 21, 2010, 11:49:16 PM
Quote from: gary.nichols on November 19, 2010, 11:50:07 PM
The 5 minute delay has a refresh time of 30 secs. The realtime has a refresh of 20 secs which gives time for data to be retreived and transmitted to realtime users.

This is what I have trouble understanding. If it takes a refresh of 20 seconds for the data to reach my screen, then how can it be real time? The aircraft data I recieve will be 20 seconds old.
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: tarbat on November 22, 2010, 08:50:56 AM
Quote from: Tailwinds on November 21, 2010, 11:49:16 PMThis is what I have trouble understanding. If it takes a refresh of 20 seconds for the data to reach my screen, then how can it be real time? The aircraft data I recieve will be 20 seconds old.

The aircraft data when you receive it will not be 20 seconds old, it will be within a few seconds of real-time.  The only timelag is the UPLOAD time from each Radarbox station.  The network data on your PC will then age 20 seconds before being refreshed from the server.

It's a compromise between update refresh rate and bandwidth usage.
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: Chris11 on November 22, 2010, 11:18:10 AM
I would think the same applies for any data on a website. The refresh rate will be set at something like 20 or 30 seconds
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: flightinair on November 22, 2010, 02:34:54 PM
I can not understand this. even if you where using fiber optic cables there will still be a delay, so Tailwinds tell us how to get no delay.
Title: Re: Opinions On Real-Time Network?
Post by: Dean on November 22, 2010, 05:25:57 PM
Can I offer a different way of looking at this? Well I will.

You can buy a HD / 3d 50 inch TV with all the bells and whistles. What do you get with it? Freeview. If you want enhancements like HD (equiv I suggest to Real Time) then you pay extra - why coz it costs extra to make / produce / send HD TV.

Simple - don't want HD or movies then don't pay for them - don't want / need real time then don't pay for it.

Dean