AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: E14 on January 27, 2011, 04:00:32 PM

Title: Cable to extend Air Nav aerial
Post by: E14 on January 27, 2011, 04:00:32 PM
Hi
    Just wondered what the best place and cable type is to extend the supplied Airnav antenna by around 2metres. Could I use a in-line connector to connect the two lengths together or would that cause too much loss?

Cheers
James
Title: Re: Cable to extend Air Nav aerial
Post by: CoastGuardJon on January 27, 2011, 08:16:38 PM
Hi James, simple answer yes.   There may be slight loss and degradation, but if it's to get the antenna a bit higher or in the clear - the gain may well exceed the loss.  I don't think I've ever seen an extension lead - a better solution would be to replace the supplied RG174 with a longer length of top quality, well screened co-ax.   From personal experience, I don't rate the construction of some of the standard antennas very highly.   The connections within the base can be very suspect.   There is a bit of sticky backed plastic covering the magnet within the base - very easy to disassemble and reconstruct.   In the past I posted a more detailed description, which if I can find it, I'll post the link, but that is the way to go IMO!

Found it!  

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=3554.msg34930#msg34930


Edit @ 2226 correcting ref. to co-ax, should have put RG174, I don't think RG213 would fit the standard antenna.

Details of different RF cables and a Loss Calculator

http://www.fairviewmicrowave.com/microwave_rf_cables.htm?gclid=CIuxo_6026YCFY4f4QodkGtM1g