AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Canonjohns40D on February 24, 2011, 03:15:51 PM

Title: Coverage Down?
Post by: Canonjohns40D on February 24, 2011, 03:15:51 PM
Hi Guys firstly I've been off the site for some time as my wife was ill. She became confined to bed and the computer had to be removed from our bedroom. This meant Iwas without the radarbox radio etc etc for about 8 or 9 weeks now.

Sadly Anne died on the 4 February. As i'm off work presently and sorting a few things out I decided today it was time to get things up an running.

I have connected the system in the exact locations they were previously using the same cable. The radarbox has it's external aerial as before but the number of aircraft on my flights has been well down; 5 to 11 aircraft max. I reset the polar diagram and it is also well short of the aera covered before disconnection.

Any thoughts on this please?

john
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: johnboy on February 24, 2011, 03:59:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss John, regards radarbox i would leave it switched on for the polar diagram to increase, may take a couple of days to settle down.
Regards,
John.
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: Canonjohns40D on February 24, 2011, 06:07:07 PM
Thanks John i know the polar diagram will need time to re-establish but it is already clear the distance is well down. Aircraft South Est of the IOM were well within my range previously indeed I was getting hits right out to the East coast of England. I was getting hits on high level traffic up towards Aberdeen while now Edinburgh is the limit.

At this busy time locally I have had a peak of 15 aircraft so I fear either the aerial or the box itself has a malfunction. I'll let it run for a few days and see how things go.

John
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: Runway 31 on February 24, 2011, 06:15:31 PM
Hi John,

I am sorry to hear of your sad loss.

Could you try the box with the antenna that came with the box to see if it does any good.  It may allow you to see whether its the box or the external antenna which is causing the problem.

Alan
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: Canonjohns40D on February 24, 2011, 06:59:01 PM
Thanks Alan re Anne and the antenna never thought of that so yes I'll give it a go.

John
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: Canonjohns40D on February 27, 2011, 09:09:56 PM
Hi I have attached a polar diagram running now since 24 Feb (3 days) and it is well down on my normal coverage. My flights at tpeak times usually are 50+ aicraft but presently the peak has been 10 to 12 aircraft.

I tried the supplied aerial which is getting pretty similar results to the outside aerial. The supplied aerial in turn is performing about the same now as when I used it before the outside aerial was erected.

My question then is it the aerial or the box likely to be the cause for the decrease? Airnav any thoughts suggestions please?

John
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: Canonjohns40D on February 27, 2011, 09:22:07 PM
Hi I have attached an older screen shot showing the polar diagram I used to have. Big big change!!!!
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: bratters on February 27, 2011, 10:00:05 PM
Hi John - condolences on your sad loss.

Hmm...  you're certainly down but I recall that when my box went back to the menders not only were the numbers down to single figures but the distance was maxing at about 40nm. You still seem to be getting 100+?

If I read you right, you say the supplied aerial is still operating much as it did before? If that's the case and bearing in mind the distance still obtaining,  the problem seems more likely to be your main aerial rather than the box.

More checking to be done methinks - anyone in your area who you can take the box to and check it on his system?

If you're not happy though, pack it off to W&S for a fettle. They turn things round very quickly.

Nice to have you back on the board.
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: eggplant on February 27, 2011, 10:54:20 PM
Hi John,

If you decide that you'd like another user to try out your box, then I am happy to oblige. You'd have to post it to me though as I am not in your locality. I could plug it in and compare to my unit and let you know.  Royal Mail special delivery would be a good idea, and I would return by the same.

John
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: Canonjohns40D on March 13, 2011, 09:36:13 PM
Hi I sent the radarbox off to W & S as directed by Airnav. Firstly excellent service as it was only away for a few days.

On return the enclosed documentation reported that the front end saw filter had been replaced and a dry joint on L1 was resoldered and tested as ok.

Sadly the performance is poor in fact possibly weaker than before the repair. I can still only get around 11 to 13 aircraft max at peak times with a daily total of around 500 aircraft.

If this is the case might it be the aerial is the problem? If so can it be repaired or is it a straight relpacement required?

I attach a screen shot of polar diagram having run for 24 hours.
John
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: CoastGuardJon on March 13, 2011, 10:33:03 PM
Hi John, what antenna are you using?  I'd suspect the downlead - always worth trying a re-wire.  Are you using a patch lead, check centre pin in SMA connector that connects to RB, they have a reputation for retracting into the lead.
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: Canonjohns40D on March 13, 2011, 11:40:11 PM
Hi i checked the lead which was a patch lead from Westlake and it and the centre pin seem fine. I am using the DPD aerial from the US of A and it has been very successful up to now.

i have seen some posts on static causing problems but i thought I had this covered. With a re-wire do you mean the full cable or the patch lead or both please?

John
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: Canonjohns40D on March 17, 2011, 10:45:42 PM
Hi any help appreciated on this please. it seems that my DPD aerial may be at fault for the continuing poor coverage I am getting. I have to say I found DPD good to deal with and the aerial has been excellent up to now. However if I need a replacement what is everyone else using and any recommendations for local purchase if i don't return to DPD?
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: CoastGuardJon on March 18, 2011, 11:42:38 AM
Hi John, sorry I haven't got back to you before, but haven't been in here for a couple of days.  Water or damp getting into the downlead is the killer - I'd doubt the antenna itself will have gone U/S.  If that's not the problem, I'd suspect the RB is still or gone U/S.
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: Runway 31 on March 18, 2011, 11:53:58 AM
John

How does the radarbox do with the supplied antenna since you got it back.  If its doing OK it must be the DPD antenna or its cable.

Alan
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: Canonjohns40D on March 27, 2011, 01:14:39 PM
Hi all my radarbox continues to have a reduced range of coverage. It was returned from W&S on 13 March 2011 the enclosed documentation stating that the front end saw filter had been replaced and a dry joint on L1 was resoldered and tested as ok.

I have had it running for 24/7 since it's return with very little improvement in coverage. My neighbour, who erected the aerial, has now checked the DPD; aerial it's seals are intact as is the cable running from it neither are showing any wear or tear. My supplied aerial which has only ever been used indoors is also showing reduced coverage when I attach it.

Can anyone shed any light on a cause or suggest next action please?

John

Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: AirNav Support on March 27, 2011, 01:26:45 PM
If you think its not working satisfactory, contact us and we will give you details on how to send it back and we will recheck it.

The boxes are QA when they are repaired but there could be another fault with yours or the delivery men have been playing footbal with the box :)
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: Canonjohns40D on March 27, 2011, 03:05:09 PM
Hi Support

My forum post was not intended as criticism indeed I have been very happy with this product since purchase.I went via the forum hoping someone might offer advice on a possible cause. I have made contact via the support email.

Regards

John
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: AirNav Support on March 27, 2011, 03:13:00 PM
We know, we were just trying to help, if your antenna is fine then it probally sounds like the box isn't 100% right.
Title: Re: Coverage Down?
Post by: Canonjohns40D on March 27, 2011, 10:04:41 PM
Hi First thanks to support for their prompt response. The box is off tomorrow just to be sure to be sure.

Can anyone help regarding the aerial in as much as how have you protected yours from "the dreaded" static build up? I have mine earthed onto a ground rod dug into the garden. I had assumed this was suffcient if not overkill. Anyone offer advice or wish to comment please?

John