AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: BESWICK on March 22, 2011, 08:03:29 PM

Title: External Antenna question again !
Post by: BESWICK on March 22, 2011, 08:03:29 PM
Hi to you all,

I am trying to decide on a External antenna and one possible option is the SSE 1090SJ mk2, ADS-B Antenna  and a company called Henry Westlake supplying the coax and cables.

Obviously I am after any views some of you experts out there have on this particular antenna.

Also not being the most technically minded person in the world I actually have a antenna on my roof that I have use for the last few years for air band scanning and it actually resembles the Radar extender antenna from Watson.

Would this work as a replacement as a external antenna using better coax and the correct plugs or am just clutching at straws to save a bit of cash

Any comments would be most welcome

Regards

Beswick
Title: Re: External Antenna question again !
Post by: nortonbeak on March 22, 2011, 08:34:36 PM
Air band frequencies are typically 108 to 138 MHz. ADS-B squitters are transmitted at 1090 MHz.
As these frequencies are so different, then a different antenna would be best used for each.

As it happens, I use the antenna you are considering, and got the Westflex 103 from Westlake. I found both companies excellent to deal with. Additionally, the resulting composition works perfectly happily for me.
Title: Re: External Antenna question again !
Post by: BESWICK on March 22, 2011, 08:52:31 PM
Thanks, your advice is much appreciated.
Title: Re: External Antenna question again !
Post by: BESWICK on March 23, 2011, 07:50:44 PM
Can I asked what lenght of coax was you used and did you have a patch lead from the coax to the RD box

Regards

Beswick
Title: Re: External Antenna question again !
Post by: Runway 31 on March 23, 2011, 07:57:24 PM
Hi Beswick I have 10 metres W-103 and a patch lead to attach to the box, Henry was first class and the goods arrived in good time.

Alan
Title: Re: External Antenna question again !
Post by: BESWICK on March 24, 2011, 07:11:25 PM
Alan,

I have decided that after your feedback the SSE 1090SJ mk2 is the one I will go for

All the best

Beswick

Title: Re: External Antenna question again !
Post by: Runway 31 on March 24, 2011, 07:36:29 PM
I am sure that you will enjoy it.

Alan