AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Tramline on March 25, 2011, 10:14:22 PM

Title: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Tramline on March 25, 2011, 10:14:22 PM
I plan to put my ANRB onto a new netbook which has Windows 7 starter already installed.  Can anyone confirm that all I need to do is download v3.13 from somewhere on AirNavs site and can someone kindly confirm the correct method - is it load the software first then connext the hardware or reverse of that????

Will the drivers still need to be downloaded separately? And if so can someone advise the link to do this?

Where can I download v3.13 from please?

Any other do's or dont's while I'm thinking about it?

Many thanks
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Jetcos on March 25, 2011, 11:51:59 PM
I am also trying to get my Netbook  up and running (Win7 Acer 32 bit 1.83ghz 1.0 Gig) and I  researched the Forum, figured out the Preferences issues (thanks for the tips!) and now all I have is the Yellow Box with the "Hardware Checking". I uninstalled the drivers a couple of times and it says they are working. Different version than my Vista Laptop 32 bit and 2 years old. No trouble installing RB there.

Want to use the Netbook on an up coming trip.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: RodBearden on March 26, 2011, 12:46:18 AM
Hi Guys

The downloads are available here: http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/support.html

Download the software version you've bought, 3D (version 4.03) or Pro (version 3.13), and, only if you have 64-bit Windows, the 64-bit drivers at the bottom of that page.

MOST IMPORTANT: When installing the software, DO NOT accept the default installation directory. Instead, edit the installation path to remove the "\Program Files" bit, so that you are installing in C:\Airnav Systems

Most people who have had problems, including with the database updates, have not followed that advice!

If you have a 64-bit machine and you have downloaded the 64-bit drivers, follow the advice given below the 64-bit drivers link on the support download page.

Hope that helps

Rod
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Jetcos on March 26, 2011, 12:54:26 AM
By un-installing and re-installing the software without the program files in the path this will help with the yellow box?

Thanks Rod


Steve
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: RodBearden on March 26, 2011, 01:06:59 AM
Hum - I don't think it will help that particular problem - that does sound like a driver problem. Check the FAQ section for help with drivers - this all starts getting a bit too techie for me!

Rod
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Jetcos on March 26, 2011, 02:10:55 AM
Followed your suggestion and reinstalled RB (as administrator) and the drivers installed when I plugged in the USB cable it works.

Thanks for jumping in Rod!

Cheers,

Steve
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Tramline on March 26, 2011, 10:51:29 AM
Thanks Rod, much appreciated.  I'll advise how I get on.

Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Tramline on April 02, 2011, 10:55:45 PM
Quote from: RodBearden on March 26, 2011, 12:46:18 AM
Hi Guys

The downloads are available here: http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/support.html

Download the software version you've bought, 3D (version 4.03) or Pro (version 3.13), and, only if you have 64-bit Windows, the 64-bit drivers at the bottom of that page.

MOST IMPORTANT: When installing the software, DO NOT accept the default installation directory. Instead, edit the installation path to remove the "\Program Files" bit, so that you are installing in C:\Airnav Systems

Most people who have had problems, including with the database updates, have not followed that advice!

If you have a 64-bit machine and you have downloaded the 64-bit drivers, follow the advice given below the 64-bit drivers link on the support download page.

Hope that helps

Rod

Just downloaded v3.13 from the AirNav website onto a new Netbook.  It has Windows 32 bit starter edition and lo and behold the AirNav drivers do not appear to have loaded.   I stress this is the 32bit version of Windows 7.   

Any ideas? 

So much for 'plug-in and use'  :-(
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: AirNav Support on April 02, 2011, 10:58:37 PM
You do have the to point Windows 7 to the drivers, the drivers are in the RadarBox folder. On a normal machine (not a netbook) it searches the CD drive so you usually have you RadarBox CD in when you install and it finds it.

Connect your RadarBox if you get a prompt about drivers, point windows to your driver loaction which should be at c:\program files\airnav systems\radarbox\drivers.
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Tramline on April 02, 2011, 11:01:12 PM
Hi ANS - How do I 'point' Windows 7 at the drivers?  Sorry, I'm a technophobe!

I didn't download any drivers from the support section as I'm running 32bit Win 7.  Looking at my Device and Drivers for AirNav it states

'Drivers not installed (Code 28)

'There is no driver selected for the device information set or element'

'To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver' (BUT UPDATE DRIVER IS GREYED OUT SO I CANNOT DO THIS)


Thanks
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: AirNav Support on April 02, 2011, 11:06:39 PM
Go to Start -> Device and Printers -> (Find the RadarBox icon) and right click on it and go Properties -> Hardware Tab -> Properties -> Driver -> Update Driver.

You will the be given a choice to search automatically or manually. Choose the manual one and then find
c:\program files\airnav systems\radarbox\drivers

It should then install the driver.
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Tramline on April 02, 2011, 11:14:46 PM
I didn't download any drivers from the support section as I'm running 32bit Win 7.  Looking at my Device and Drivers for AirNav it states

'Drivers not installed (Code 28)

'There is no driver selected for the device information set or element'

'To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver' (BUT UPDATE DRIVER IS GREYED OUT SO I CANNOT DO THIS)

Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Tramline on April 02, 2011, 11:35:01 PM
I used the 64 bit drivers and somehow worked it out for myself, so my AN is 'working' but now after I start it up I get a 'Information' box stating AirNav RadarBox2010 -3.13 needs to know more details about your station.  Please specify them now' ...................so................... I fill in the preference box which has a single tab 'Home Station Data' - and I click O.K but it will not register my info...it just sits there so I canx the box by hitting the Red X button which takkes me back to the original 'Information Box' - its a loop which I cannot break out of!!!

What is going on?
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Tramline on April 03, 2011, 01:15:08 AM
I managed after 4 hrs of fumbling about to get AN up and running, however like TommyG I have screen resolution issues.   The option to 'untick' the monitor to show all the screen dialogue boxes is greyed out.  I've played with the screen resolution which has made the application usable but frankly its not great.

Frankly, I think its time AirNav provided the 'plug in and play' for Windows 7 and also a 'Netbook' version which will allow installation without all the pain that many users seem to suffer.

Cheers
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Jetcos on April 03, 2011, 01:24:52 AM
I originally had issues but searched the Forum and found a few answers. Sorry don't the link anymore.

As suggested you start in Demo mode and fill in your Location info. Shut down and restart as a registered user. This fixes the the location "never ending circle".

The tip for netbooks and resolution issues suggests that you TAB your way to Apply and Enter to close the dialogue box that you can't see.

Sorry I wish I had the links. I spent 30 minutes searching and 30 minutes playing around till I had a RB setup I liked. Works well and will be trying tomorrow on my way home at an Airport with my Netbook. Original goal for buying one.

Good luck,

Steve
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Tramline on April 03, 2011, 02:29:47 AM
Quote from: Jetcos on April 03, 2011, 01:24:52 AM
I originally had issues but searched the Forum and found a few answers. Sorry don't the link anymore.

As suggested you start in Demo mode and fill in your Location info. Shut down and restart as a registered user. This fixes the the location "never ending circle".

The tip for netbooks and resolution issues suggests that you TAB your way to Apply and Enter to close the dialogue box that you can't see.

Sorry I wish I had the links. I spent 30 minutes searching and 30 minutes playing around till I had a RB setup I liked. Works well and will be trying tomorrow on my way home at an Airport with my Netbook. Original goal for buying one.

Good luck,

Steve

Hi Steve,  so do you have to scroll down to see all the screen with the settings you used?   I've now got RB contained on the netbook screen but I need glasses to see what's being displayed?

Cheers,  Paul
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Tramline on April 03, 2011, 07:46:54 PM
So does AirNav's 'plug in and play' still hold true beyond XP?  Vista, Windows 7 - not a chance! 

Also for Netbook use there should be at least a tutorial for the less computer savvy.

I'm grateful for the help some of the forum community have been able to give, but, and, I never thought I'd write this but Shiptrax appears to have led to AirNav RB users being left to fend for themselves. 

Could AirNav state when they will be able to provide a 'truly - plug in and play version' of RB for newer operating systems such as Vista and Windows 7? 

....And a Netbook tutorial?

Thanks
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: AirNav Support on April 03, 2011, 08:35:09 PM
Tramline,

Plug and Play simply means you can install new hardware or USB hardware with just an driver needed and off you go. The actual description of it is:

"plug and play is a term used to describe the characteristic of a computer bus, or device specification, which facilitates the discovery of a hardware component in a system, without the need for physical device configuration, or user intervention in resolving resource conflicts"

That means in most cases you need a driver external USB device. Many devices need drivers than are not with the normal Windows install, in fact most do need drivers from the manufacturer.

In the normal install for RadarBox in either XP, Vista, Windows 7 if the  RadarBox CD is in the CD drive the automatic search for drivers will look for it and install them. Your comment about it not holding beyond XP is simply untrue. However the only exception is if your using a 64bit Operating System which the drivers are included on our website.

If you have a netbook you will come up against trouble with any external USB devices which need drivers. This isn't just a RadarBox issue. So far we have had very few requests for help to our support regarding Netbook installs as its not the norm but we will look into creating a tutorial for it.

Regarding your comments about Shiptrax, that isn't true either, we were answering your posts last night and are doing so now trying to help. The forum isn't a support forum, if you have support issues they are best dealt with in time and details via our ticket system.

Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Tramline on April 03, 2011, 08:55:17 PM
Why do so many people have installation issues then with Vista / Windows 7 then?

I did appreciate the posts late last night, however, I stumbled my way through the installation myself as only a technophobe can and I do feel that Shiptrax has only served to take the focus off AirNav RB development and support - all IHMO only of course, I'm sure other forum members would like to comment perhaps.
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: AirNav Support on April 03, 2011, 09:00:19 PM
Tramline,

They don't have issues with the original install, its exactly the same as the XP install if the CD is in the drive it will do as its told and install. The only issues arise are after the driver install which is to do Vista/Windows 7 permission and virtual store.

The reason why you stumbled yesterday is because you are using a netbook, as mentioned this is not a normal install and if you had any other external usb device which needs drivers you would have had the exact issues as well. ShipTrax has nothing to do with it.
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Tramline on April 03, 2011, 09:09:52 PM
Ok AirNav Support, thank you for coming back.   Perhaps a Netbook tutorial would benefit many users? However, I do stand by my Shiptrax comments though, but we'll agree to disagree on that one.

Thanks
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: AirNav Support on April 03, 2011, 09:16:43 PM
Yes we will look into it.
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Jetcos on April 03, 2011, 09:39:48 PM
Hi Paul,

Used it most of the day today and I only use the box, not the Network. So my list is usable. I also am only interested in what I can see. So at the airport I set the Altitude to the lowest at the top and watch the list. It is not as easy to view as my larger laptop but the battery life was what I was after. So works well, reading glasses on and off.

Steve
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Tramline on April 03, 2011, 09:50:43 PM
Cheers Steve,   out of interest how long did your battery last?  Did you just have the RB running or any other applications such as Word / Excel at the same time? I'm pleased to have a dedicated Netbook for RB so we'll see how I get on once its used for real.

Paul
Title: Re: New Netbook - loading v3.13 - Drivers etc - tips etc
Post by: Pinza on April 30, 2011, 11:09:56 AM
Hmm, bought a new laptop on Thursday - running Windows 7 Home premium (64 bit).

Was dreading the prospect of getting ANRB 4.03 up and running in 3D on new toy, especially as I'd forgotten my password!

AirNav Support promptly sorted my password problem. I then downloaded 64 bit drivers and followed the advice in this thread.

Hardest part was getting past the hurdle of entering home location!

Hey, ho - 3D now up and running on new computer with all data intact from old setup along with latest database update and all of Rod Bearden's great logos.

Not as scary as I feared!

Would have been harder without this forum - thanks to all who contribute.

Chris