AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: sherlock holmes on May 18, 2011, 04:58:11 PM

Title: Affect of reception due to weather.
Post by: sherlock holmes on May 18, 2011, 04:58:11 PM

Meant to post this here!   
   


Hi,
I don't remember seeing comments on this subject. Does the weather have a great affect on reception? I have recently acquired a new DPD antenna and it has increased my range and number of flights in My flight log. We are unfortunately in a weather pattern of 7 days of overcast and daily rainfall of approx .5" of rain a day. If the sun ever comes out again here in central Ma, do you think the range will be extended further?

Thanks
Sherlock Holmes
Title: Re: Affect of reception due to weather.
Post by: nortonbeak on May 18, 2011, 07:52:50 PM
There is no doubt that rain and snow will attenuate signals at this frequency.
Title: Re: Affect of reception due to weather.
Post by: sherlock holmes on May 19, 2011, 10:45:09 AM
The new antenna will be fantastic when it finally clears. It has increased my range out to about 100 miles from 60. The myflight log has doubled and my msg/second has shot up. Excellent antenna!

Sherlock Holmes
Title: Re: Affect of reception due to weather.
Post by: airnav1967 on May 20, 2011, 11:47:29 AM
is there a new antenna for radar box if so where can i get one i still have the one that came with my box, just asking thats all cheers.
Title: Re: Affect of reception due to weather.
Post by: CoastGuardJon on May 20, 2011, 04:59:52 PM
Hi AN1967, Waters & Stanton can supply new/replacement standard antennas for around £20 - £22
Title: Re: Affect of reception due to weather.
Post by: sherlock holmes on May 21, 2011, 01:04:37 AM
Hi airnav1967,
I recently purchased an antenna from DPD Productions:
ADS-B (SBS / RadarBox) Vertical Outdoor Model Antenna  $149.95 U.S.

http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_vhf_air.html

I've only had it for a week now but what a difference it has made.


Sherlock Holmes
Title: Re: Affect of reception due to weather.
Post by: sherlock holmes on May 24, 2011, 12:14:11 PM
Hi,
I have read several post over the last year that using an external antenna can be a problem during a thunderstorm as the lightning can foul up the inner workings of the radar unit. As an aside, I run a Boltek Lightning detection unit which can alert me to developing thunderstorms in my area. When it starts popping, I disconnect the antenna from the unit. It's not fool proof but it can help prevent the unthinkable.

Sherlock Holmes.