AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: tarbat on August 15, 2011, 09:08:21 AM

Title: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: tarbat on August 15, 2011, 09:08:21 AM
This topic has come up a couple of times recently, so here are my instructions on how you can use Open Street Map as a layer in Radarbox.  The instructions are in the attached OSM.PDF, and the spreadsheet referenced in the instructions is also attached as OSM.XLS.

It takes just a couple of minutes to replace a Satellite Layer with an OSM layer instead.
(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6071/6045239342_9a850707ae_m_d.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/6045239342/sizes/o/in/photostream/)  (http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6181/6045229090_0a6fffb8f3_m_d.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/6045229090/sizes/o/in/photostream/)

1. In Radarbox, setup the map to cover the area you're interested in.  Then, download a satellite layer, and save it.  In this example, I'll use the saved name of "OSM1".

2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to the ... \AirNav Systems\AirNav RadarBox\Satellite\ folder.

3. Locate the OSM1.JPG file.  Right click on it, and select PROPERTIES.  In the DETAILS tab, make a note of the DIMENSIONS.  In this example, it is WIDTH=861 : HEIGHT=895.

4. Locate the OSM1.STL file, and open it in Notepad.  Select ALL the text (CTRL-A), and COPY (CTRL-C).  Then close Notepad.

5. Open the OSM.XLS spreadsheet.

6. In cells C4-C7, paste the four numbers from OSM1.STL

7. In cells E9 and E10, type in the WIDTH and HEIGHT numbers previously obtained from the OSM1.JPG file.

8. Goto cell E19, and COPY (CTRL-C).

9. In Internet Explorer, goto the address bar, and PASTE (CTRL-V).  Press ENTER.  A map should appear.  If that address doesn't work, then try E21, then E23, then E25 until one of them works.  Right click on the map, and select COPY.

10. Open the OSM1.JPG file in Paintbrush, and PASTE (CTRL-V) the new map.  Save the OSM1.JPG file.

11. Back in Radarbox, reload the OSM1 map.
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: dumpty on August 15, 2011, 05:13:06 PM
Tarbat

Thanks for this very helpful post.

Could you tell me where I find the .STL file as all I have in my satellite folder is the jpeg image and the certificate trust list.

Many thanks

Simon
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: tarbat on August 15, 2011, 05:52:01 PM
Quote from: dumpty on August 15, 2011, 05:13:06 PMCould you tell me where I find the .STL file as all I have in my satellite folder is the jpeg image and the certificate trust list.

Right click the .STL file (marked as certificate trust list), and select "Open With", and choose "Notepad".
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: dumpty on August 15, 2011, 06:32:56 PM
Sorted

Many Thanks
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: palace_ops on August 16, 2011, 09:34:55 PM
Tarbat, thanks very helpful. Do you know if there is a way of changing (adding) the background colour for the aircraft labels? Against this new map layer theyre a bit more difficult to read. With planeplotter I can add a black background to the different colours for label text and it works well.

TIA, Steve
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: tarbat on August 16, 2011, 10:08:05 PM
Steve, no, I don't think you can add a black background.  Instead, I setup a colour scheme with the aircraft labels using BLACK text, DARK GREEN for descending, etc..

Maybe if Airnav ever add OSM as a standard feature, they'll also add a background colour option for the labels - that works well in ShipTrax:

(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6062/6051105072_e3f3773ffe_o_d.png)
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: palace_ops on August 17, 2011, 09:13:31 PM
ok thanks for getting back to me....colours would be a nice feature to have.
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: vonsmalhausen on August 18, 2011, 08:53:44 AM
hy Tarbat, is this OSM map going to react on zooming in/out ? ore is it ( as i think ) just a fixed mapvieuw of a welldefined area ?
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: tarbat on August 18, 2011, 09:11:54 AM
Quote from: vonsmalhausen on August 18, 2011, 08:53:44 AM
hy Tarbat, is this OSM map going to react on zooming in/out ? ore is it ( as i think ) just a fixed mapvieuw of a welldefined area ?

It will react just the same as a satellite layer.  Zoom in and it will pixelate.
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: vonsmalhausen on August 18, 2011, 10:49:20 AM
thought so, well, i'll just wait till we eventually get a better map from AN :-)
thanks for the answer.
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: superspotter on August 22, 2011, 09:31:09 AM
OK Tarbat, I am really liking the look of the OSM but.....try as I may, even though Airnav is telling me it has downloaded a satellite image and saved it, I cannot find it anywhere! It's not where it should be, in the satellite folder or anywhere else when I do a search. No jpeg no nothing??
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: tarbat on August 22, 2011, 09:40:08 AM
Maybe you're running Vista or Win7, and installed in the Program Files folder.  If so, then the JPEG will have been put in the Virtual Store by Windows, so look in C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\VirtualStore (xxxx is your Windows account).
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: superspotter on August 22, 2011, 09:46:04 AM
Thanks for the reply arbat, I've had a look where you suggested but there is nothing there that relates to this and yes, I am running Win7. I am not brave or capable enough with computers to try and start messing around so it looks like I am going to have to do without :(
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: hungerford1 on October 10, 2011, 12:46:52 PM
Hi i have just found this set of instructions and was wondering if you could let me know where to find the osm.xls spreadsheat if you have it, could you send me a copy? thank you
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: RodBearden on October 10, 2011, 01:02:16 PM
Hungerford - it's in the zip file attached to the first post in this thread.

BTW - welcome to the forum!

Rod
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: hungerford1 on October 10, 2011, 01:48:15 PM
Cheers, need some spectacles i think
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: Pinza on October 22, 2011, 07:16:27 PM
Hi Tarbat,

Have been a user of AirNav3D v4.03 since it first came out. Impressive as this is, I now want a more realistic/accurate 2D representation of planes.

Went for 3D initially as, living in the Midlands, my default 2D map was a sea of blackness and hard to picture where planes really where.

Followed instructions in this thread (and more detailed ones in the zip attachment in first post) - worked a treat first time - many thanks!

Only problem I have now is creating a suitable colour scheme.

OSM map area I have created covers the paltry 20 mile radius I see from indoor aerial - this map is predominately white so need to create a colour scheme that works on that, but also one that shows planes outside my new OSM map on the default black background!

I suppose I could make default (non OSM area) white based. Will try that now.

Would be nice is OSM maps could be integrated!

Sincere thanks for your work and sharing it via this thread.
Chris

Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: tarbat on October 23, 2011, 08:27:12 AM
Quote from: Pinza on October 22, 2011, 07:16:27 PMWould be nice is OSM maps could be integrated!

Airnav have managed to integrate OSM into ShipTrax, so hopefully they can do the same for Radarbox in the next release.
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: vonsmalhausen on October 23, 2011, 12:56:04 PM
That would be great, i'm realy hoping for this
Title: Re: Using an Open Street Map (OSM) layer in Radarbox
Post by: STR-Spotter on June 27, 2012, 02:04:20 PM
Hey there,

sorry for pulling up this thread, but i think it´s the best way to post it here.

I´ve tried to get an OSM layer for my region, but it doesn´t work correctly. I´ve done everything exactly like in the description.
It seems that the OSm satellite layer isn´t at the right coordinates. It´s sligtly (some nm) moved up on the map. So my home location on the layer is totally wrong.
I hope you undestand my problem, english is not my native language and it´s hard to explain.

I think this problem already starts with downloading a satellite layer. Here is a screenshot:
You can see that the satellite layer is moved up a litle bit. The borders are not coincident.

(http://www.abload.de/img/airnavradarboxpro-4.0wamk4.jpg)

I´m using Radarbox Pro 4.03.

Maximilian