AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Budgie on January 19, 2012, 02:52:04 PM

Title: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: Budgie on January 19, 2012, 02:52:04 PM
My ANRB has been running fine since I installed it but at 09:17 this morning it stopped receiving any data.

The power light is on and the blue connection light is flashing at its set "no data" interval but there is no white light and I know there are aircraft up there.
I thought it may be the antenna so I disconnected the roof mounted one and connected the supplied antenna but that still didn't produce any data.

I then rebooted the PC & the software but still nothing.
Nothing has moved and there have been no updates to the PC.

Any other ideas I can try?

Martin.
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: ACW367 on January 19, 2012, 03:33:04 PM
If not the aerial then try with a different USB. 
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: Runway 31 on January 19, 2012, 04:17:23 PM
Has their been any lightning in the area, I know its quite stormy up here.  If there has there may be some static damage and it may need to go to Waters and Stanton for repair.

Alan
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: CoastGuardJon on January 19, 2012, 05:53:40 PM
Hi Martin, is it under the 2 yrs warranty, if so email http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html,  if not pack securely and post (Rec./Special Delivery) to Waters & Stanton PLC, Spa House, 22 Main Road, Hockley, Essex. SS5 4QS. UK. Tel +44(0)1702 206835.
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: Budgie on January 20, 2012, 01:09:03 AM
The software is showing that the hardware is connected and there are other things connected through the USB hub that ANRB is on, so I don't think it's that.

The was lightning around last night but I checked my lightning detector after I noticed this and there were no strikes near me, some about 100 miles to the SW but nothing closer. There could still be static in the atmosphere though I guess.

I got the ANRB second hand so I'm guessing it's well out of warranty by now so looks like it'll be off to Waters & Stanton.

I'm not doing too well at the moment as my AIS has also stopped working, but I think this is down to a bad antenna connection or water. Although that could do with going back as well as it stopped receiving on channel A a few months ago. :-(

Thanks for the info chaps. ;-)
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: Budgie on January 20, 2012, 04:44:34 PM
I spoke to Waters & Stanton today and the ANRB is boxed up and ready for posting in the morning.
I'm also sending my Comar AIS-2-USB back to Comar as well, may as well get both of them looked at at the same time. ;-)
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: tarbat on January 20, 2012, 05:24:15 PM
Quote from: Budgie on January 20, 2012, 04:44:34 PMI'm also sending my Comar AIS-2-USB back to Comar as well, may as well get both of them looked at at the same time. ;-)

Are you aware of the problems when running Radarbox and a Comar AIS-2-USB at the same time?  I'm not alone in finding that if the Comar is in use, Radarbox sensitivity and range is reduced.  See http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=5121.msg51739#msg51739
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: Budgie on January 20, 2012, 06:11:25 PM
I don't think I've experienced that problem.
Before the lastest issues with both boxes I was getting a good 250nm range on the ANRB (without a pre-amp) and could see vessels from around Thurso coming along the North Coast so not much wrong with the AIS side either.
Also, that's with both units no more than a foot apart in the porch and connected to the PC via the same USB2 hub and active USB leads.
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: tarbat on January 20, 2012, 06:50:26 PM
Quote from: Budgie on January 20, 2012, 06:11:25 PMAlso, that's with both units no more than a foot apart in the porch and connected to the PC via the same USB2 hub and active USB leads.

Maybe the hub and active USB leads are enough to filter out the RF that gets injected into the USB connection.  Anyway, I'm hoping to retire my Comar unit very soon, and replace with a ShipTrax unit!!
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: CoastGuardJon on January 21, 2012, 03:55:42 PM
Quote from: tarbat on January 20, 2012, 06:50:26 PMAnyway, I'm hoping to retire my Comar unit very soon, and replace with a ShipTrax unit!!

Hi Chris, don't know I'll spend £X00 out for ST when there are free AIS sites available...............?
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: tarbat on January 21, 2012, 04:17:02 PM
Quote from: CoastGuardJon on January 21, 2012, 03:55:42 PMHi Chris, don't know I'll spend £X00 out for ST when there are free AIS sites available...............?

None of which seem to consistently cover my local area.
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: Budgie on January 21, 2012, 04:33:29 PM
That's the thing with me as well Jon.
I already feed my data to ShipsAIS, MarineTraffic and Shiptracking and they all supply, free up to date, maps with data from all their sharers on them.
MarineTraffic has Google maps that I can use on my own website and Shiptracking has a banner with a direct link to my website in return for me sending the data.
I use AIS Dispatcher to collect and upload the data, which is a free download and if you use another free download called AIS Server Lite then you also get full access to their maps from your desktop.

Now Kinetic have the SBS-3 which has AIS built in, has the ship sailed on ST?
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: bratters on January 21, 2012, 07:53:43 PM
I guess a lot will depend on the price. I'm a bit surprised we haven't heard anything yet.
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: jannuh on January 22, 2012, 02:32:56 PM
Take a closer look at MarineTraffic and all those other known websites, they aren't accurate at all, time delays etc.etc.
Why did you buy a Radarbox when there are such general websites for viewing aircrafts.... yeah right!
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: tarbat on January 22, 2012, 02:35:10 PM
Quote from: jannuh on January 22, 2012, 02:32:56 PMTake a closer look at MarineTraffic and all those other known websites, they aren't accurate at all, time delays etc.etc.
Why did you buy a Radarbox when there are such general websites for viewing aircrafts.... yeah right!

Got to agree.  There is no substitute for a local AIS receiver to see local shipping.
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: Budgie on January 23, 2012, 12:14:01 AM
Quote from: jannuh on January 22, 2012, 02:32:56 PM
Take a closer look at MarineTraffic and all those other known websites, they aren't accurate at all, time delays etc.etc.
Why did you buy a Radarbox when there are such general websites for viewing aircrafts.... yeah right!
The speed that ships move then a 15 minute delay isn't going to worry me too much and I can see the live data from my own receiver.
All these sites, including ST, are only as good as the data they are supplied with and where the sharers are. In my case there were no AIS stations up here when I set mine up, just like I'm the only ANRB station up here as well. If I didn't have these two then there would be no coverage, on any site.
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: jannuh on January 24, 2012, 02:36:01 PM
Quote from: Budgie on January 23, 2012, 12:14:01 AM
Quote from: jannuh on January 22, 2012, 02:32:56 PM
Take a closer look at MarineTraffic and all those other known websites, they aren't accurate at all, time delays etc.etc.
Why did you buy a Radarbox when there are such general websites for viewing aircrafts.... yeah right!
The speed that ships move then a 15 minute delay isn't going to worry me too much and I can see the live data from my own receiver.
All these sites, including ST, are only as good as the data they are supplied with and where the sharers are.
Update once a 15 min. is big; is a ship in the locks, or not...  etc.

The sharers deliver in general fine data, but sites as MarineTraffic have filters on the data, in a way that they have to sent less data to their website; msg. nr. 1 the sent for example just one on five etc.

aprs.fi is very colorfull in filtering the ais data  ;-)
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: Budgie on January 25, 2012, 04:41:36 PM
Looking at the MarineTraffic FAQ's (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/faq.aspx?level1=160) they say that they upload as soon as they have the data in their database.
QuoteHow often is the data updated?
Data received are uploaded in the database in real time and therefore they are immediately available on the map and on other pages. However, several positions shown on map may be not continuously refreshed (e.g. when a ship goes out of range). Vessel positions shown on map may be up to 1 hour old. Please note also that map web page is only periodically refreshed or whenever the 'Refresh now' link is pressed manually.
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: Budgie on February 02, 2012, 04:30:24 PM
Well, the Comar AIS-2USB came back yesterday and working perfectly after Comar repaired it, under warranty (even thought it's just over two years old).
Just waiting to hear something from Waters & Stanton now about ANRB. I got a job number from them last week so the unit made it down there OK.
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: Budgie on February 14, 2012, 12:06:21 AM
Update: Spoke to someone at Waters & Stanton today and they have been waiting to a supply of SAW filters, hence the three week wait. Hopefully, he says, the ANRB should be back with me by the end of the week or early next week.
In the mean time, as my pre-amp got zapped and doesn't work any more, I have installed an in-line static/lightning protector on the coax and linked it into the earth cable that's connected to the mast. So hopefully I won't have this issue again.
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: oliver14 on February 14, 2012, 08:50:28 AM

My unit is also at Waters and Stanton, and has been for three weeks waiting for a saw filter after losing range, mine is one of the older boxes. 
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: Budgie on February 14, 2012, 04:00:09 PM
Got a call from them this morning and it was more than just the SAW filter that had gone, they also had to replace the amplifier.
Anyway, all paid for and it'll be in the post in the morning so should be here by the end of the week. 
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: Budgie on February 22, 2012, 10:56:40 PM
Oh, how wrong was I with the last post!

8 days later and still no sign of the ANRB in the post so I called Waters & Stanton only to find it's still there!!
The guy on the phone tried to tell me that they (packaging I assume) had only just got it from the Service Department because there was a delay in getting the parts.
What a load of cr@p, the service guy I spoke too last week told me it was ready to go so god know how long it would have sat there if I hadn't called.

Not impressed with the service all round, that's nearly a month they've had my ANRB now, Comar turned the AIS around in a week, and that includes the postage time!! 
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: AirNav Support on February 22, 2012, 11:34:42 PM
Hi Budgie,

We will investigate this, sorry for the trouble caused. Usually the return service is very quick as plenty of posts on the forum will prove, we hope this is a one off and we will investigate to what has happened.
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: Budgie on February 23, 2012, 10:06:19 PM
Thanks,
Just to add that the ANRB arrived in the post today so it did get here very fast, once sent.
I'm just waiting for some aircraft to come my way now to make sure it's working OK. ;-)
Title: Re: ANRB Stopped Receiving
Post by: Budgie on March 10, 2012, 09:56:42 PM
I thought I would continue in this thread as it has something to do with it.

Before the ANRB went South with the problems list in this thread, I was getting a range of 150 to 200 miles from here and during peak traffic was seeing up to 40 aircraft at one time.

Since getting the ANRB back from W&S my range has dropped to about 100 miles and very occasionally peaking at 170 miles. Attached is a screen shot of the polar diagram since the ANRB was re-installed.
I've changed nothing on the antenna, with the exception of adding a static discharge connector in-line but I've tried it both with & without this connected with no noticeable difference.
There is no pre-amp connected, it's a straight roof top antenna and 30m of Westflex.
You can see the polar diagram of want I was getting in this thread: http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=6414.0

Can anyone think of anything I can try to regain the range I had before the ANRB broke or any reason that the range should have changed so dramatically since it was repaired?

One think I have noticed since it came back is that the female SMA antenna connector on the back the ANRB is loose and I don't remember it being loose before. Could this have anything to do with it and is it easy for me to remove the cover and tighten it up?