AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: tarbat on January 27, 2012, 11:23:31 AM

Title: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: tarbat on January 27, 2012, 11:23:31 AM
Has anyone had success using their Radarbox over a Belkin Network USB Hub?

I need to move my desk into another room, but don't really want to move all the radio "clutter" (my wife's description!!) as well.  Plan is to have Radarbox, ShipTrax, and printer/scanner located in a cupboard linked via. the network using the Belkin Network USB hub.

I'm going to buy one anyway, to use for the printer/scanner.  But wondered if it will also work for the Radarbox.
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: anorak on January 27, 2012, 12:20:29 PM
I tried using one and had bluescreens, so if you PM me your address I`ll post it up for you to try.
Best wishes,  Dave.
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: andrewarles on January 27, 2012, 12:40:48 PM
Tarbat,

Is it the F5L009 USB Hub you going to buy?

If it is, and if you're intending to be on wireless, the Radarbox will not work from Vista onwards.  It works fine with XP.  There's an issue with the tcpip.sys.

The hub works great for Printers/Scanners/HDD etc.

Andrew
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: tarbat on January 27, 2012, 02:08:01 PM
Andrew, yes, it's the F5L009uk.  I won't be using wireless though, I'll be using my mains-based network (Devolo).  Do you have any info/links that describe what the tcpip.sys issue is?

Dave, thanks for the offer, but I've already ordered one from Amazon.  Did you try using the modified drivers/install from:
http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/2821-belkin-network-usb-hub-f5l009-6.html#post1307126

As long as it works for my printer/scanner, I'll be happy.  If it can also cope with the Radarbox, then that's a bonus!
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: andrewarles on January 28, 2012, 12:34:41 AM
Tarbat,

From what I understand, for security reasons from Vista onwards, Microsoft limited the number of wireless connections, (through the tcpip.sys).  There are a couple of tcpip.sys patches on the internet but none of them worked for me.  In fact, they totally messed up (putting it politely) two PC's (Vista and Windows 7), to the point where you couldn't even reboot.  To change the tcpip.sys file I ended up having to take the HDD out, and then connected it on to another PC to gain access to the file.

If you Google tcpip.sys there's a lot of info on the issue.

I think I also had some trouble with it when plugged in to the USB port as well.

Andrew
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: tarbat on January 30, 2012, 12:33:14 PM
An update.  The Belkin seems to work great, using the modified drivers/install (http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/2821-belkin-network-usb-hub-f5l009-6.html#post1307126) - not the standard Belkin drivers.

It's been running okay now for a couple of hours, with the Radarbox, AIS Receiver, and Printer connected.  No dropped connection, everything works okay.  I'll leave it running for a few days and see if the connections remains solid.

(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7173/6788916265_7189a5ffff_m_d.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/6788916265/sizes/o/in/photostream/)

Connection between the Belkin and my BT Home Hub is via. a pre-existing Devolo dLAN mains-based network.
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: anorak on January 30, 2012, 02:30:14 PM
Glad it`s working for you, might find the time to have another go with mine.
Thanks,  Dave.
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: tarbat on January 31, 2012, 10:48:18 AM
I spoke too soon.  Overnight, PC has re-booted itself, and within the last 10 minutes it has re-booted again.  SysLog shows:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0x0000000000000c88, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000001, 0xfffff800032a0985). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 013112-58235-01.

So, think I'll try the F7D4301 drivers as suggested elsewhere.
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: anorak on February 01, 2012, 02:52:24 PM
Hi Tarbat, I downloaded from this link; Belkin F7D4301, and got a MALWARE warning. Did you have anything show up?
Thanks,  Dave.
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: tarbat on February 01, 2012, 02:58:55 PM
No problem here with the download from http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3713
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: anorak on February 05, 2012, 11:08:19 AM
I think Andrew is right, the Belkin works okay as a hub but putting it through a wifi seems to "upset" it.
Any one want a Belkin F5L009 Ver2 USB hub?
Best wishes,   Dave.
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: orkney on February 05, 2012, 11:24:27 AM
Quote from: anorak on February 05, 2012, 11:08:19 AM
Any one want a Belkin F5L009 Ver2 USB hub?

Hello Dave

I have PMed you.

Thank you

Andrew
Title: Re: SIlex Network USB Hub
Post by: tarbat on August 03, 2012, 07:48:17 AM
I've now switched to using a Silex SX-3000GB USB over TCP/IP hub, and this works flawlessly even over a wireless network.  The Silex SX Virtual Link software and drivers are Windows 7 (64-bit) capable, so no more BSOD's that I used to get with the Belkin software.

A great solution for anyone wanting to locate their Radarbox some distance from their PC.  I've got mine connected to a Netgear Ethernet to Wireless adaptor to hook into my wireless network, although Silex also do a wireless USB over TCP/IP hub (SX-2000WG+).

(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7268/7702954560_72841d2754_z_d.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tarbat/7702954560/sizes/o/in/photostream/)

Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: frogger on August 08, 2012, 11:45:19 AM
Hi Tarbat!
Thank you for this post.
I have testet past year with the silex 2000and had after 3 or 4 days problems with the connection. The ANRB-Software does not see the radarbox after this time.

Do you have after these days registered any problems with this new silex-box?
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: tarbat on August 08, 2012, 06:02:54 PM
Both Radarbox and ShipTrax have been connected via. the Silex since 14:52pm on 5th August, so just over 3 days.  I'll leave them up and running for a few more days.
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: frogger on August 09, 2012, 07:17:34 AM
OK, thanks.
If it is ok, i would by a SX-3000 too to get my radarbox to the loft.
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: tarbat on August 10, 2012, 02:16:53 PM
Okay, after 5 days constant running both Radarbox and ShipTrax have remained connected without any problems.  A total of 2,273,139 ModeS messages recorded, and 94,349 AIS messages recorded.

Looks reliable to me.
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: frogger on August 21, 2012, 07:07:54 PM
Thank you Tarbat.
That looks good. I will now buy a silex 3000gb and get the radar box up to the loft.
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: anorak on September 17, 2012, 05:37:01 PM
I now have the Silex SX-3000GB working on my laptop, running now for over 1 1/2hrs,. I would like to thank Tarbat for his patience in helping me get it working.
Dave.
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: frogger on September 18, 2012, 05:54:04 AM
Short Report after 3 weeks of using the silex-box:
It works great. No faults or errors in my virtual machine. Thanks for helping!
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: Aerotower on December 15, 2012, 11:26:42 PM
Hi guys!

Any reported problem?

And it is possible use the silex over internet?

Thanks,
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: anorak on December 16, 2012, 11:12:11 AM
I must say that the Silex  product has work faultlessly, I have also changed my protection software to ESET and found the set up to start and run quicker.
Thanks again to The Big " T "    Dave.
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: tarbat on December 16, 2012, 11:43:27 AM
Same here.  I always run my ShipTrax and Radarbox through the Silex, it's enabled me to locate the hardware receivers remote from my PC location, connected over wireless using a Netgear Ethernet to wireless adaptor. Works flawlessly.
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: Aerotower on December 17, 2012, 08:10:57 PM
And if we're away from home you can access selix if he's at home?

And have access to RadarBox?

How do you guys do?

Regards
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: tarbat on December 17, 2012, 09:52:21 PM
Quote from: Aerotower on December 15, 2012, 11:26:42 PMAnd it is possible use the silex over internet?

I've never tried.  I guess it would depend on what bandwidth you have available on the Internet, and how the PC would "discover" the Silex.  I don't think it's really designed to work over the Internet.
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: juangelb35 on December 19, 2012, 12:04:00 AM
Hummmmmm,
Is it possible to configure an gateway IP on it ???
If not .... You will need some workarounds ... like configure VPN on both sides.....

Since 5 years  using two Uboxes from Lantronix .... Withdrawn since a long time ago....
But this device allows to do this ... not working on W7 64 bits... no 64 bits device drivers at allll,
But still working ok in W7 32 using an Ubox OEM software ... Keypan ....

One Ubox was left alone at remote location since 4 years now ... along with a RadarBox...
All working well till today ... never powered off nor disconnected antenna , etcs... no matter what the weather is.... Bolts, thunders ... no matter ...

Cheers - juan
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: Aerotower on December 19, 2012, 08:57:34 PM
Hi,

Thank you both.

Juan can you send some links with this informations?

Tarbat you can try?

Regards,
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: knight01 on January 16, 2013, 09:35:57 PM
I'm thinking of getting the Silex SX3000GB. How is it performing with the radarbox and does it send data over wifi via the router?
Title: Re: Belkin Network USB Hub
Post by: tarbat on January 17, 2013, 08:41:34 AM
Yes, if you use it with a wireless adaptor.  I use a Netgear Ethernet to Wirless Adaptor, powered by the Silex.