AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: lanner on March 18, 2012, 07:13:31 PM

Title: Masthead Preamp
Post by: lanner on March 18, 2012, 07:13:31 PM
Anyone ever tried placing Radar Box and Masthead Pre-amp, ELAD A12-1090, including BT-12 Bias Tee, at top of mast, with required 12VDC run up the mast along with PC connection using USB/CAT5 to reduce RF Signal Loss, not to mention the considderable cost saving on Westflex !!

One other question if I may, why cant I see aircraft using local airport, in my case Newquay (NQY)?

John in Cornwall
Title: Re: Masthead Preamp
Post by: Runway 31 on March 18, 2012, 08:55:36 PM
Regarding the aircraft using Newquay.  I would imagine they will not be be ADSB equipped so you will not see them.

Alan
Title: Re: Masthead Preamp
Post by: CoastGuardJon on March 18, 2012, 09:30:55 PM
Hi John, From your handle, I assume you're in Lanner!   The system you describe sounds absolutely ideal, and if you're at the top of Lanner, you should get some good results, especially to the south and west.   Please post a polar diagram after a few days monitoring.  Attached may be one of mine with AN supplied twig.
Title: Re: Masthead Preamp
Post by: lanner on March 19, 2012, 09:04:26 AM
Good Morning to Runway31 and CoastGuardJon
Many thanks to you both for your speedy and very welcome replies to my recent questions.
Specifically Runway31's comment suggesting ADSB may not be available is understood, and I do thank you. I'll get to grips with the various intricacies of this new hobby one day !
To CoastGuardJoh, sadly my location not at the top of Lanner, I'm about as low as possible, (50.214N -05.192W) opposite The Coppice pub if you know it.
Currently using USB to feed from external antenna to RB.
The ELAD preamp, fitted at masthead, is the next project.
Thank you both again.
John