AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: ACW367 on March 27, 2012, 09:18:38 PM

Title: NASA flies an ADS-B Unmanned MQ-9
Post by: ACW367 on March 27, 2012, 09:18:38 PM
An interesting development in the world of ADS-B, NASA has started flying an MQ-9 fully fitted with ADS-B which is designed to test if that tech can enable it to operate in GAT airspace. 

http://www.airtrafficmanagement.net/2012/03/unmanned-adsb-first-for-nasa/
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/news/FactSheets/FS-097-DFRC.html

Will be interesting if it starts appearing on the network.
Title: Re: NASA flies an ADS-B Unmanned MQ-9
Post by: RodBearden on March 28, 2012, 12:25:01 AM
Hmmm...

I wonder if ICAO are going to give codes to UAVs. If not, the database updaters are going to have to work something out so that I can give silhouettes the right code ;-)

Rod
Title: Re: NASA flies an ADS-B Unmanned MQ-9
Post by: ACW367 on March 28, 2012, 04:47:41 PM
If ICAO give permission for UAVs to operate in ICAO GAT airspace, the UAV will need to flight plan as per manned aircraft.  Therefore I presume a code will be issued as it is a required field on the flightplan.