AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: FACTflights on April 26, 2012, 10:46:18 AM

Title: Electrostatic Weather
Post by: FACTflights on April 26, 2012, 10:46:18 AM
I have disconnected the ANRB as we have heavy lightning in Cape Town.  Will reconnect as soon as storm passes.  10:45 Z
Title: Re: Electrostatic Weather
Post by: CoastGuardJon on April 26, 2012, 02:19:34 PM
Hi FF, do you earth your antenna whilst it's disconnected, if not, I'd suggest you do.
Title: Re: Electrostatic Weather
Post by: Horsham Spotter on April 26, 2012, 03:16:10 PM
Hi FF.

Agree with Jon.

My box is away under repair due to static.

Would suggest any one with external antenna's to earth them.

Steve.
Title: Re: Electrostatic Weather
Post by: FACTflights on April 26, 2012, 04:21:37 PM
Hi All that replied,

Storm seems to have moved further away now 16:00Z

Yes my antennas are all earthed when not connected to equipment.

Jon, the list of equipment seems very familiar to me, my list is similar with:

Icom IC706G MKII; Icom IC 726; Yaesu 290R, Alincon DJ-V5

OK that will suffice.

ZS1AGH - John
Title: Re: Electrostatic Weather
Post by: juangelb on April 27, 2012, 02:28:31 AM
Hi FACTFlights,

I really do not understand why you disconnect RB due to heavy lightinh ...
Here I have two RBs 24 X 7 working since 2007 and no matter what the wheather is, I never disconnect the RBs .. teh PCs.
But yes, I have all the electical installations grounded.
Even when one of the RBs is working in a remote location... and it is not possible to disconnect, connect, disconnect, connect it all the time, so both of them stays connected for ever.
Some peple sayd that I am a lucky guy ... I dont think so.
But yes, I have all the electical installations grounded and always use a suitable antenna (homebrew)
And here (Brazil) we have lots of hevy storms all the time overhead  ...
So I think if in 5 years the RBs working this way ... (without any problemas) why not let them for more 5 years ...
Cheers
Title: Re: Electrostatic Weather
Post by: FACTflights on April 27, 2012, 10:19:04 AM
Hi juangelb,

You are indeed lucky, I have been in the radio world for more than fifty years, and have seen many fried radios.  I have even lost two of my own.  When we have electrostatic storms in Cape Town, you can sometimes draw a 5mm arc at the bottom of the co-ax cable.

I have several antennae on my plot.  I do not disconnect/ connect all the time.  All my other antennae have proper lightning protection, but this is a new installation.
Title: Re: Electrostatic Weather
Post by: juangelb on April 27, 2012, 07:53:35 PM
Hi FactFlights,

Yes, i also have seen big arcs at the botton of the antenna cable when i worked 80 meters band in the 60tieths using a half wafe dipole....  I think that the broblem os damagin equipments is more likely to happen working at low frequencies because the size of aerial being very big (thus the big surface area) compared to higer frequencies or just 1090 (our case)
But you are right ...  Obviously nobody guantees the integrity of you equipment ... the best choise is to disconnect all, since the money spent is yours .. the desition is only up to you....
But i feell confident that in the way I implemented my isntallations (antenna, electicity, grounds, etcs) all my equipments are in safe working no matter the weather.
Even when if it would be so dangerous let them connected... probably all the services around the world would stop at the first lighting in the area ... waiting for the weather to be better.
And wee are talking about all mobile stations, airports, TV channels, Radios FM, AM... an so on.
The whole warld would stop all the time every day...
I do not see this happening  ... unless indeed something really get damaged, but this happen very seldom and isolated.

Chhers