So I managed to work out a deal with my landlord to mount my DPD 1090Mhz antenna on the roof of my apartment building. I am already up 70 Feet on the 7th Floor, and the apartment is 9 stories tall.
From the middle of the roof where I will be mounting it, and down the side of the building to my floor and into the apartment, I need about 85 Feet. Is LMR-400 ok for this kinda length/run.
I have great reception now, but since ADS-B is line of sight, I am totally deaf to the east...(I face west)
The best part of this is that I will have a clear view from my antenna now to CYYZ and I can see the tower.
I will be up a total of 110 Feet
Should be GREAT for ground returns and I highly doubt anyone else in the area has an antenna up as high as this!
feedback......
regards,
Jason
Attenuation @ 85ft will be less then 4dB, so that should be OK. Nevertheless a Preamp not more then 3ft after Antenna might be a good idea anyway. Further you may consider to go for the watertight variant of the LMR-400 named LMR-400-DB. Especially due to the fact that if you are placing it up at this hight and free field under "full attack" of the weather. Don't forget to make the Connections between antenna, preamp and so on water-proof.
Hope that helps.
Wish I could mount my antenna at that hight.
For water proofing connections, I can recommend "LIQUID ELECTRICAL TAPE" manufactured by Star brite.
It works verry well.
John
aka , self amalgamating tape.
Hi Jason,
Thanks for doing that. We have relatives near Toronto (CYHM) and we fly there often from Scotland.
Just watching a FedEx flight landing at CYYZ down to touchdown.
Keep up the good work!
Ken...