AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: CYYZGUY on September 06, 2012, 01:27:30 PM

Title: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: CYYZGUY on September 06, 2012, 01:27:30 PM
So below are some of the install pics and views I have from the top of my building.  It took about 1 hour from start to finish for the install.  I now have the maximum possible range that airnav allows and a perfect 360 degree field of view.  I am located a few kilometers from toronto's CYYZ airport and it is great watching the planes land all the way down to the ground, then taxi to the gate.

I seriously doubt anyone else in the world has a permanent install higher then this with a 360 degree view.

cheers


(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8169/7942941140_79d51f7d9b_b.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/7942941140/)
DSC_0696 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/7942941140/) by CYYZGUY (http://www.flickr.com/people/86721442@N07/), on Flickr

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8316/7942940864_0fccdb9f24_b.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/7942940864/)
DSC_0695 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/7942940864/) by CYYZGUY (http://www.flickr.com/people/86721442@N07/), on Flickr

The landlord inspecting the setup....

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8169/7942939664_a2764fc2bc_b.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/7942939664/)
DSC_0690 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/7942939664/) by CYYZGUY (http://www.flickr.com/people/86721442@N07/), on Flickr

In this Picture you can see the control tower for CYYZ just to the left of the Hydro Tower

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8458/7942938454_c8143825a8_b.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/7942938454/)
DSC_0684 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/7942938454/) by CYYZGUY (http://www.flickr.com/people/86721442@N07/), on Flickr

90 Feet of LMR400 (I have not noticed any loss so far)

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8319/7942938166_49c9115a67_b.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/7942938166/)
DSC_0683 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/7942938166/) by CYYZGUY (http://www.flickr.com/people/86721442@N07/), on Flickr

(http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8180/7942937932_1ea81f7c82_b.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/7942937932/)
DSC_0682 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/7942937932/) by CYYZGUY (http://www.flickr.com/people/86721442@N07/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: RodBearden on September 06, 2012, 04:47:00 PM
Great stuff - looking forward to seeing your results.

Are you getting ground returns from Downsview or Island Airport?

Rod
Title: Re: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: CYYZGUY on September 06, 2012, 05:23:13 PM
Hi Rod, Downsview airport and the Toronto Island airport generally have small prop aircraft, Dash-8's etc.

None of them here in canada yet are ADS-B equipped.  Occasionally I will see a Bombardier corporate jet coming in and out of downsview, but not too often.  Bombardier aerospace is located at Downsview in case you did not know.

I had so many ADS-B aircraft on my screen last night, I had to put on several filters to narrow it down a bit.   Usually I am just interested in any aircraft within 50 nautical miles of CYYZ. (Which would include downsview and toronto island)  I also see wesjet coming in and out of Hamilton airport as well.

Cheers,
Title: Re: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: RodBearden on September 06, 2012, 05:55:30 PM
More ADS-B aircraft in the future, though - I get lots of bizjets and quite a few light aircraft, including the odd homebuilt, with ADS-B here in Lancashire.

Do you know whether Canada is doing the same as the US in making ADS-B compulsory for flight in controlled airspace by 2020?

Rod
Title: Re: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: CYYZGUY on September 06, 2012, 06:04:50 PM
You can be sure Canada will follow the USA with this.  More and more Air Canada / Westjet aircraft are showing up now.  Before it was just the atlantic route flights showing up, but now I am getting smaller planes, A319, 767's etc, that are doing flights within canada....

Slowly they are all getting equipped.
Title: Re: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: Runway 31 on September 06, 2012, 07:49:22 PM
Glex C-GPIW BBA19 is sitting lit up on the ramp at Downsview just now

Alan
Title: Re: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: CYYZGUY on September 06, 2012, 09:47:15 PM
Yeah it looks like he was doing some touch and go's............Just some test flights.......

That was me providing that coverage.
Title: Re: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: Bell 407 on September 07, 2012, 11:20:19 AM
You are the envy of a lot of us here on the forum. Congrats on a cool setup.
Title: Re: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: AirNav Support on September 07, 2012, 11:39:48 AM
It does indeed look like a great setup, do you have polar plot of what your getting in terms of reception range?
Title: Re: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: CYYZGUY on September 07, 2012, 12:03:50 PM
I will post a polar diagram in a few days once it has completely filled itself out.  I only did the install Wednesday evening.  But by looking at it so far I can tell you this much, I am located just a few km's from CYYZ, and so far I have range all the way to Pennsylvania to the south in the USA, over to the eastern seaboard and I am getting returns as far away as JFK airport...It truly is a nice 360 degree setup
Title: Re: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: neroon79 on September 07, 2012, 04:45:41 PM
Quote from: Bell 407 on September 07, 2012, 11:20:19 AM
You are the envy of a lot of us here on the forum. Congrats on a cool setup.
Indeed!
Title: Re: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: CYFC on September 08, 2012, 09:19:06 PM
Hello Toronto...
Nice location...hate to be overly observant....but those steel supporting clamps supporting the DP antenna, are mounted incorrectly...the DP instructions are that metal clamps are only permitted within the bottom 7 inches of the antenna, and as well, the metal supporting tube, should be within that 7 inch limits as well...otherwise, the antenna pattern, and impedance matching will be off, resulting in lower gain.....I recently burned the front end of my AirNav receiver, so recommend an antistatic/lightening inline protection device be installed....FYI Doug/VE6LFL
Title: Re: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: juangelb35 on September 08, 2012, 11:50:25 PM
Hi CYFC

What antenna were You using at the time of burning RB ?

Cheers - Juan
Title: Re: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: juangelb35 on September 09, 2012, 03:57:42 PM
Hi CYYZGUY,
Excellent work ! congratulations !
Please do not forget to share the polar diagram ...

Cheers
Title: Re: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: CYYZGUY on September 09, 2012, 06:49:25 PM
Quote from: CYFC on September 08, 2012, 09:19:06 PM
Hello Toronto...
Nice location...hate to be overly observant....but those steel supporting clamps supporting the DP antenna, are mounted incorrectly...the DP instructions are that metal clamps are only permitted within the bottom 7 inches of the antenna, and as well, the metal supporting tube, should be within that 7 inch limits as well...otherwise, the antenna pattern, and impedance matching will be off, resulting in lower gain.....I recently burned the front end of my AirNav receiver, so recommend an antistatic/lightening inline protection device be installed....FYI Doug/VE6LFL

Not that I am disagreeing with you, but that metal mast pipe NEEDS to be as secure as possible, it is very windy up there and you need all the metal strapping you can get.  So far I have not had any problems.  Not sure about the 7 Inch rule you are talking about, but noone else commented on it.

Does the install look ok to everyone?

Jason
Title: Re: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: Runway 31 on September 10, 2012, 07:14:53 AM
I cant remember but I am sure instructions came with the antenna, have a look at the attached photo from the manufacturers website

Alan
Title: Re: Airnav Radarbox Antenna Install Pics, 115 Feet, 35 Meters
Post by: CYYZGUY on September 10, 2012, 01:55:31 PM
Thanks for the pic!   I will go back up there and make the adjustment, reset my polar diagram and observe any changes......