Hi All is there a list of prefix UK airports? also why do we now see these airports with prefix's. Many thanks in advance, Stephen
Not sure what you mean, Stephen.
Can you give an example?
Rod
Hi Rod, thanks for your reply, on my map there is an airport UK07, which after a search on the net came up as Swanton Morely airfield, is there a list that can be used for cross reference?
Thanks Stephen
The Airnav d/b gives UK01 as Deenthorpe, UK03 Enstone, UK11 Rufforth in addition to UK07
Alan
I assume that RadarBox uses these codes when there isn't a four-letter ICAO code for the airport. In the USA, the equivalent codes are issued by the FAA and are called Location Identifier codes (LIDs).
I assume the UK ones are issued by the CAA, but I can't find a list anywhere.
There are several places to find the ICAO and IATA codes for UK airports including http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_the_United_Kingdom_and_the_British_Crown_Dependencies
and http://skyvector.com/airports/United%20Kingdom
Rod
I've just found the CAA airport code list, and it doesn't tie in with the UK codes in RadarBox at all.
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/80/Codelist.pdf
I think we need someone who knows what they're talking about here! I hope ACW367 reads this thread...
Rod
Rod, in what way do you mean "doesn't tie in with the UK codes in RadarBox at all. I dont understand and its left me confused? Are you saying that none of the codes for UK airports are correct as that is what your statements leads me to believe or is it just the 3 referred to earlier?
Looks like there is some work for me anyway.
Alan
Quote from: Runway 31 on November 26, 2012, 02:44:19 PM
The Airnav d/b gives UK01 as Deenthorpe, UK03 Enstone, UK11 Rufforth in addition to UK07
These codes appar popular in the flightsim community. See others at http://www.bostonvirtualatc.com/downloads/fd/HelpDesk/coordinates/Europe/United%20Kingdom.txt
Alan - I'm saying that the UK codes you quote, such as UK01 for Deenthorpe, UK03 Enstone etc don't correspond to the CAA list, where 1 is Heathrow, 3 is Prestwick.
Like the original poster, I'm wondering where the UKnn codes come from - it doesn't seem to be the CAA.
Rod
OK Havent a clue but googling gives a lot of flight sim stuff and link to places like
http://www.pilotnav.com/airport/airport-13340
http://www.whistlework.com/Untitled/home/UK01_Chart.pdf
They will be sorted along with others by the next Navdata update.
Alan
And the list that Tarbat linked to has five of them. The RadarBox database has them too. I don't think anyone's saying they are wrong, or need changing, just wondering where they come from.
Rod
Havent a clue but they are on their way out now :-))
Alan
Quote from: RodBearden on November 26, 2012, 09:47:12 PM
And the list that Tarbat linked to has five of them. The RadarBox database has them too. I don't think anyone's saying they are wrong, or need changing, just wondering where they come from.
Rod
Don't know for sure, but I think they are just codes used in Microsoft Flight Simulator for airfields that dont't have a real ICAO code.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd171/scottyboy39/UK01.jpg
I'm happy to blame Microsoft for most things, so I'll go along with that ;-)
Rod
Quote from: M on November 26, 2012, 10:08:00 PM
Quote from: RodBearden on November 26, 2012, 09:47:12 PM
And the list that Tarbat linked to has five of them. The RadarBox database has them too. I don't think anyone's saying they are wrong, or need changing, just wondering where they come from.
Rod
Don't know for sure, but I think they are just codes used in Microsoft Flight Simulator for airfields that dont't have a real ICAO code.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd171/scottyboy39/UK01.jpg
These are unlicenced aerodromes and have no real world codes. Here is the CAA Doc with Chapter 3 being relevant.
http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=4141
I think you are right that it is the Microsoft FlightSim community that came up with the codes UK01 etc. I believe that when Radarbox was very first developed they tapped into this Microsoft community (probably IVAO.aero - International Virtual Aviation Organisation™) for their version of aeronautical information.
My hypothesis is borne out by the fact that the logos dataset that comes with the original Radarbox CD includes logos for around 10-15 FlightSim 'Virtual Airlines' that exist only in the IVAO simulator world.
Many thanks, ACW.
Rod
Hi All, many thanks for everyones input, I didn't realise that this would cause such an interest!
Stephen