AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: SteveJ on January 20, 2013, 04:12:25 AM

Title: Canadian Maps?
Post by: SteveJ on January 20, 2013, 04:12:25 AM
Is there a place to download better 2D maps for Canada, particularly Ontario?

Title: Re: Canadian Maps?
Post by: Runway 31 on January 20, 2013, 09:04:06 AM
Sorry i think you are stuck with the provided maps in this version.

Alan
Title: Re: Canadian Maps?
Post by: EK01 on January 20, 2013, 10:32:50 AM
SteveJ,

If you just want maps you can print out to go alongside listening to ATC, etc try this :

http://skyvector.com/airports

There are details including maps and charts of 459 airports in Ontario alone.

Ian
Title: Canadian Maps?
Post by: SteveJ on January 20, 2013, 02:22:03 PM
Thanks Alan, that's what I was wondering.

Is there any way to create my own maps?

I'm on the route into CYYZ that all planes coming from Western Canada take. We see a plane about every 10 minutes and it would be nice to get an idea of what area they are actually over. I do have the 3D version but tend to use the 2D version more.

Title: Re: Canadian Maps?
Post by: Runway 31 on January 20, 2013, 04:23:58 PM
Hi Steve, If you have 3D maybe the slpit view could be the thing.  I dont think there is any way of making your own map for the 2D but maybe somebody out there knows different.

Alan
Title: Re: Canadian Maps?
Post by: RodBearden on January 20, 2013, 05:30:03 PM
Steve - there is a way - far too complicated for me, but some people have got it working.

See this thread as a starting point: http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1447.msg11179#msg11179 (http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1447.msg11179#msg11179)

Good luck!

Let us know how you get on.

Rod
Title: Canadian Maps?
Post by: SteveJ on January 21, 2013, 01:10:19 AM
Thanks Rod, I'll take a look at that. I've done some map work for other programs before so hopefully this isn't too different.

Hopefully I'm able to produce some nice maps and upload them for others to use.
Title: Re: Canadian Maps?
Post by: SteveJ on January 21, 2013, 05:25:52 PM
Success!!  I have to do a little tweaking position wise but I'm happy to say it works.

Title: Re: Canadian Maps?
Post by: RodBearden on January 22, 2013, 01:12:39 AM
Well done, Steve!

Did it take much effort?

Rod
Title: Canadian Maps?
Post by: SteveJ on January 22, 2013, 02:34:41 AM
Extremely easy.

I used the OpenMaps site to export a map. The export box gives you the coordinates needed by Tarbats's spreadsheet. Plug the coordinates into Tarbat's spreadsheet which gives you the values needed for the stl file. Copy the map and stl file into the appropriate directory and you're done.

Title: Re: Canadian Maps?
Post by: RodBearden on January 22, 2013, 02:20:44 PM
Thanks, Steve - maybe I'll give it a go sometime!

Rod
Title: Re: Canadian Maps?
Post by: vonsmalhausen on January 22, 2013, 02:50:28 PM
just tryed it, it just won't work for me
i have Tarbat's XLS file, made a stl file with the results and saved the map as a JPG, all this in the satelite layer map, but when selecting that layer...... nothing
Title: Re: Canadian Maps?
Post by: vonsmalhausen on January 22, 2013, 03:03:24 PM
ok, problem solved
for some reason, the XLS file gave me negative figures for the top and bottom box, made them possitive figgures and there was the map
this is just a try-out, but it gives me a idee of what's possible
have to change my collor setup, but it is already better than the standard map.