AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: CYYZGUY on February 07, 2013, 06:50:24 PM

Title: Has anyone added a Band Pass filter to their radarbox?
Post by: CYYZGUY on February 07, 2013, 06:50:24 PM
Following a thread over at Radioreference.com, some folks have added a band pass filter to their radarbox and have got dramatic results.  In terms of more range and greater sensitiveity of ADS-B signals.  I ordered one myself and it was delivered today..  It sure makes sense to filter out all the unwanted noise..

It operates between 980 to 1150 Mhz and has a centre frequency of 1065Mhz

Here is the link ..

http://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/VBFZ-1065+.pdf

It just screws on to the back of the radarbox, and then your sma antenna connection into it.

Just throwing it out there for you guys to look at.

Here is the thread from radioreference...it starts around page 5 or 6

http://forums.radioreference.com/aircraft-data-decoding/169848-airnav-radarbox-paired-dpd-productions-ads-b-antenna-6.html

Title: Re: Has anyone added a Band Pass filter to their radarbox?
Post by: Runway 31 on February 07, 2013, 07:04:13 PM
Let us know how you get on with it.

Alan
Title: Re: Has anyone added a Band Pass filter to their radarbox?
Post by: SteveJ on February 07, 2013, 08:38:14 PM
I think you misread the thread.  It appears only one person has purchased the filter.

If you're in a high noise environment with lots of rf around 1090Mhz, than the filter will be useful.  If you're not affected by noise, than the filter will actually degrade your signal by approximately 1.7dB due to insertion loss.

What you want to purchase is the LNA that Lindsay bought and install it near your antenna.

This is what you want: http://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/ZRL-2400LN.pdf



Title: Re: Has anyone added a Band Pass filter to their radarbox?
Post by: CYYZGUY on February 07, 2013, 11:28:24 PM
That is exactly why I bought it.  I have the antenna mounted on the top of my apartment building and I get bombarded with alot of RF, especially being so close to the city of toronto.  So far in the last 2 hours, I have gained about 20Nm on my radar screen with flights I have never been able to see before.  And the number of aircraft I can see has also increased.  We are going through a blinding snowstorm at the moment as well, so I cannot wait until clear weather to see if there will be even more improvement.  Also, I think there would be more gain having less RF anyways.  The cleaner the signal, the better I would think.

regards,

Title: Re: Has anyone added a Band Pass filter to their radarbox?
Post by: CoastGuardJon on February 10, 2013, 05:20:05 PM
Hi CYYZGUY, can you tell us where you bought it, I can find all the spec. sheets etc., but haven't found a supplier (UK or US) as yet.    Many thanks in anticipation..................
Title: Has anyone added a Band Pass filter to their radarbox?
Post by: SteveJ on February 10, 2013, 07:24:29 PM
You can buy it direct from Mini-Circuits.

Title: Re: Has anyone added a Band Pass filter to their radarbox?
Post by: CYYZGUY on February 10, 2013, 09:03:26 PM
Thanks Steve for chiming in.

Here is the direct link with specs...

http://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/VBFZ-1065+.pdf

After a few days use, it has vastly improved my hits and my range has slightly increased.  I am pleased.

Jason