I have decided to start this topic because I believe that such issues are very important for all long-time RadarBox users and must be clearly highlighted by the AirNav and Testers team.
My first question is about usage of my current My Log file in 5.х.
Size – around 26 Mb, aircraft table – around 11000 entries. I placed this file in Data directory of 5.х instead of an empty one supplied with software. Moving between entries takes up to 10 seconds and the interface is not responsive during that time. Any ideas why?
My second portion of questions concerns usage of my current 3.13/4.03 NavData file in 5.x.
1. Which exact criteria makes difference between manual and official entries? For example - if I change only AC field in the database, will this record be manual or official after that?
2. How can I identify differences between manual and official entries in my current 3.13/4.03 database?
3. What is the exact purpose of Autoupdate field in the database?
4. What is Autoupdate?
5. If I use only Auto-Populate buttons in the Preferences Menu and Populate button in MyLog windows may I expect that I will have Navdata updates in "3.13/4.03 old-fashion" way?
My third question is concerning my current photo base usage in 5.x.
My base consists of more than 32000 photos carefully selected during the years having started from AirNav ACARS decoder times and being regularly updated (and published here). But as far as I understand now we need to have PPTN and PPTN2 fields in Navdata filled to have the photos displayed. How can I have my current photo base working after software upgrade to 5.x? By making thousands of entries in NavData base manually?
Thanks,
Nick
Quote from: NetcopMoving between entries takes up to 10 seconds and the interface is not responsive during that time. Any ideas why?
I think a couple of you have reported this problem, so I'll log it as an issue to be investigated into the tracking system - FS#257.
I'll give you my understanding of these things.
Quote from: NetcopMy first question is about usage of my current My Log file in 5.х.
Size – around 26 Mb, aircraft table – around 11000 entries. I placed this file in Data directory of 5.х instead of an empty one supplied with software. Moving between entries takes up to 10 seconds and the interface is not responsive during that time. Any ideas why?
This looks like a possible bug, that will be looked into.
Quote from: Netcop1. Which exact criteria makes difference between manual and official entries? For example - if I change only AC field in the database, will this record be manual or official after that?
I don't really know what you mean by "manual" and "official" entries. If you mark an aircraft record with AUTOUPDATE="N", you're telling Radarbox not to update this record.
Quote from: Netcop2. How can I identify differences between manual and official entries in my current 3.13/4.03 database?
Sort on the AUTOUPDATE field, or select records with N in the AUTOUPDATE field.
Quote from: Netcop3. What is the exact purpose of Autoupdate field in the database?
If you set this to N, this affects two areas:
1. If you tick "Autopopulate Aircraft Data" in Preferences, records with N will not be updated as aircraft are received, unless you also tick "Auto Update Manually Changed Records".
2. In the Database Update section of Database Explorer, if you select "Do not update manually changed records", records with N will not be updated.
Quote from: Netcop4. What is Autoupdate?
Autoupdate happens in real-time as aircraft are received in your MyFlights list, or you click on an aircraft in the Networks list. It populates the aircraft record, and downloads thumbnail photos.
Quote from: Netcop5. If I use only Auto-Populate buttons in the Preferences Menu and Populate button in MyLog windows may I expect that I will have Navdata updates in "3.13/4.03 old-fashion" way?
Yes, that's my understanding.
Quote from: NetcopMy third question is concerning my current photo base usage in 5.x.
My base consists of more than 32000 photos carefully selected during the years having started from AirNav ACARS decoder times and being regularly updated (and published here). But as far as I understand now we need to have PPTN and PPTN2 fields in Navdata filled to have the photos displayed. How can I have my current photo base working after software upgrade to 5.x? By making thousands of entries in NavData base manually?
This is a good point and reinforces something I've already asked Airnav to consider. I would like v5 to do as follows. If PTTN is blank, then look for a thumbnail file with the same name as the aircraft registration. Ditto for PTTN2. I will raise this as a Feature Request - FS#258. Also see point 2 at http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=7522.msg89996#msg89996
Any questions, just ask and I'll try to help.
Good evening tarbat
Took the plunge tonight and did the 2 downloads after deleting version 3.13 even though my box is away being repaired. For someone who is not computer literate it went resonably well and with some of your tips I managed to get this up and running in a fashion and after downloading a copy of mylog and photos, I found some of the problems that Netcop reported:
1. Moving between entries in mylog takes up to 10 seconds and the interface is not responsive during that time. Selecting "All Time" takes ages to load and then going back to "today" leaves the last Flight ID details you were on at the bottom of the page if no flights were recorded for that day.
2. I unfortunately downloaded my Photo files in to the new programme and now I understand I need to have PPTN and PPTN2 fields in Navdata filled to have the photos displaying.
I see that both problems and others will be investigated.
Thanks for all your hard work.
Regards
Keith
Netcop,
An official entry is one from the database, a manual entry is one the user has changed themselves and it differs from what is on the server database.
Alan
Netcop, can you clarify. Did you upgrade from 4.13, or do a full install?
IGNORE: Managed to reproduce the problem.
This has worked for one user (shouriken), so you might want to try this solution.
Quote from: tarbatIf you're prepared to experiment, you could try the following:
1. Download an empty navdata from http://www.tarbat.gofreeserve.com/image/emptynav.zip
(Cut and paste the link into your browser)
2. Backup your navdata.db3 file
3. Put the downloaded empty navdata into your Radarbox data folder to replace the current one
See if that fixed the high CPU in MyLog problem. No guarantees, but it might. Obviously any updates you've made to navdata will be lost, but you can always revert to the backup if you need to.
Might help until this bug can be fully fixed.
And do not run "Start update" from "Database explorer/Database updates"
Correct. Stick with an empty aircraft table in Navdata, it will gradually get populated with aircraft you receive anyway.
Quote from Runway 31
Graham,
Where the autoupdate on an aircraft is set to Y if you pick up that aircraft with you box and the local Navdata is different to the server data, the local Navdata will sync with the server contents. If however you have the aircraft set to N as you have amended some part of the data on your local database and also have unticked Auto Update Manually Changed Records in Preferences/Radarbox, when the aircraft is picked up the sync with the server will not be carried out.
Hi Alan,
Could you please clarify one thing for me.
My best understanding is that AutoPoрulate function in V.3.13/4.03 is working in a different way. If I pick up aircraft with my box, AutoPoрulate function just adds a new entry to a database if this aircraft is new (entry with specific Mode-S address is not exist in database). If entry with specific Mode-S address already exists, AutoPoрulate doesn't attempt to overwrite current entry with server one, basically didn't do anything in this case. I was perfectly fine with this way.
But as far as I understand any entry without N in autoupdate field in v5 will be overwritten with the server data (including PTTN fields) if my local data is different from the server data if I keep AutoPoрulate function in Preferences/Radarbox "on" if I pick up these aircrafts with my box . Is that correct?
Regards,
Nick
That is correct Nick, if you dont tell the routine not to autopopulate an aircraft, it will do so. Default is to sync with the database so to prevent this happening you require to instruct it not to sync.
Alan
Quote from: tarbatAutoupdate happens in real-time as aircraft are received in your MyFlights list
Goodmorning Tarbat.
What is /are my MyFlight list?
If I click "MyFlights" under Tools or pressing F9 nothing happens.
Thank you in advance for your reaction.
QuoteWhat is /are my MyFlight list?
Highlighted in RED in this screenshot.
Thank you!
But what is the function of the "MyFlight" button or pressing F9?
QuoteBut what is the function of the "MyFlight" button or pressing F9?
To select the MyFlights tab.
John,
Myflights are the flights your box is picking up.
Alan
Thank you verry much Alan!
I understand all about MyFlight now but I saw not what was happening when pressing the button or F9..........
It is clear to me now.
It's nice to hear that the next release of the software will check the existing photo folder first and use the photos from there automatically as all we believe. It will give me a possibility for smooth migration of my huge current photobase into v5 version.
Below is my idea how current users may obtain a possibility for smooth migration of their aircraft database from current their Navdata base to V5 version. Personally, I have a lot of manually changed records in this base and in many cases even don't remember if this record was manually updated. But I want to keep my changes untouched during Auto-Populate procedure in v5 (other than changing Autoupdate field to N for hundreds and hundreds records). And also I want to keep working Auto-Populate function in my v5 system.
All that I ask AirNav to do to protect my own previous work on database - is implement one more choice button in the Preferences/RadarBox/Photo and Aircraft Auto-Populate area - Do not overwrite existing aircrafts records.
(http://photo.qip.ru/photo/netcop/115921995/xlarge/212452446.gif)
If this button will be ticked, the Auto-Populate procedure will be process in the "old" V3.13/4.03 way:
AutoPopulate function just adds a new entry to a database if this aircraft is new (entry with specific Mode-S address does not exist in database). If entry with specific Mode-S address already exists, AutoPopulate doesn't attempt to overwrite current entry with server one, basically didn't do anything in this case.
I don't think that implementation of my idea will need a lot of programming efforts from AirNav side but will definitely provide a lot of benefits for current RadarBox users.
Regards,
Nick
Only problem that I can see is where changes are made to the details other than the hexcode for example when the code is re-allocated to another aircraft or when the operator changes. Another example here in the UK the hex code stays with the aircraft with registration changes.
Alan
I just did a update of the DB ( aircraft only ) with the auto-populate aircraft data ticked.
at first sight none of the records that I have changed with the auto-update set to N so far in the DB seems to have changed after this, so I assume the photo I assigned in the PTTN field will be loaded.
so, is it ok to leave the auto-populate on to get new records, without having you're photos changed, as long as you set auto-update to N ?........ sorry to be a pain, but I just do not understand this new way of how the DB works.
Hi Alan,
Yes, I see both of yours points. But my idea here is to find some solution which would give RаdarBox's veterans a simple way to migrate their own databases to v5 and to keep them working. Radarbox's veterans are aware about limitations which you have highlighted, I believe.
This a possible button (I mean - Do not overwrite existing aircrafts records) isn't a rule but just a choice. AirNav has established a lot of strict rules in V5, I believe that AirNav may give us a choice as well...
Regards,
Nick
I understand what you mean Nick and your suggestion has been forwarded and is being considered.
Alan
Thanks, Alan
Nick
vomsmalhausen, When updating the whole database you must also set the Sync Option to Do Not Update Manually Changed Records,
I would suggest that you try it with the photos of a couple of aircraft that you see every day to ensure that you have it correct.
Alan
Alan, the Sync option for manually changed records is set to "do not update"
for the moment, I spend my free time to alter my DB to "N" for auto update, ad a timestamp and a filename in PTTN, and also delete the regular LK/LK1 and PT/PT2 fields for the records I have a recent/correct picture.
this work will take me several more weeks, meanwhile, I simply don't have the time to check if updates alter my work back to scratch (for the moment I do not connect my box anymore, just launch the program to work with the DB explorer ).
maybe if I get to the "OO-" part of the DB, i'll be able to spend a couple of days checking out some settings, but this lies WEEKS ahead of me.
meanwhile, thanks for the tips and suggests so far ( and I second Netcops suggestion for the "Do not overwrite existing aircrafts records" option )
I think I would check first
Alan