AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: bravo_echo on January 30, 2014, 07:04:07 PM

Title: Little USA Stuff
Post by: bravo_echo on January 30, 2014, 07:04:07 PM
I'm a new Radar Box user but cannot understand why my system only shows little activity in the USA when I know there are thousands of flights every day.

For example looking at KLAX and it shows just a few aircraft in the area yet if I switch to another free program like Flightradar 24 it shows many aircraft lined up on the approach and in the area.

Am I missing something here or have I wasted my money?

Thanks
Title: Re: Little USA Stuff
Post by: Runway 31 on January 30, 2014, 07:25:20 PM
FR24 uses MLAT to traingulate the position of non ADSB aircraft.  RB can only show ADSB equipped aircraft on the map at this time.  Also they use FAA provided data to display these aircraft in the same way that Radarbox 24 does.

Alan
Title: Re: Little USA Stuff
Post by: bravo_echo on January 30, 2014, 07:28:47 PM
Thanks for the reply but you have lost me already......MLAT ?  ADSB?
Sorry I must be a little dim!!

Title: Re: Little USA Stuff
Post by: Runway 31 on January 30, 2014, 07:37:24 PM
Aircraft carry transponders that when interogated by ground based radar reply and give the information requested.  ADSB http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_dependent_surveillance-broadcast gives off among other information the position of the aircraft.  The Radarbox and other receivers use this information to show where the aircraft is on the map.  Non ADSB equipped aircraft dont give positional information and cannot be displayed but you know that they are around as their signal is picked up and they are shown on the grid.  Most but not all airline traffic is ADSB equipped.  Most smaller aircraft, military aircraft are not ADSB equipped but it is becoming more common on even the samllest aircraft.

MLAT uses information from boxes to triangulate the apporioximate position and Planepotter and FR24 use this information to display the aircrafts position when there are sufficient users to allow triangulation.  Radarboxes are not able to provide the output required to allow triangulation

In the USA, the FAA provides data, 5 minute delayed which can be used in browser based applications such as RB24 to display its delayed position.

Alan
Title: Re: Little USA Stuff
Post by: bravo_echo on January 30, 2014, 08:22:01 PM
HI Runway31

Many thanks for the info all understood. I just did not recognise the abbreviations. 
I still don't think RB shows all the heavy commercial stuff which will all be transponder equipped.

Thanks again
Title: Re: Little USA Stuff
Post by: Runway 31 on January 30, 2014, 08:50:55 PM
If an ADSB equipped aircraft is in the coverage of your box it will normally be picked up and displayed.  Can you give me examples of ones that are not displaying

Alan
Title: Re: Little USA Stuff
Post by: bravo_echo on January 30, 2014, 10:23:26 PM
Thanks again Alan

I am comparing the display with the radio transmissions (from London Heathrow and Gatwick mainly) and they often do not tie up. At the time RB was displaying real time but certain aircraft/airline did not seem to show from their reported position or anywhere on the screen for that matter.
It seemed to apply to some of the smaller airlines but airlines none the less which would have to be fully equipped to get into London airspace. (possibly one of the Jersey based companies was one I noticed)

I'm just amazed a lot more does not show in the U.S with the vast amount of commercial traffic there. (I did allow for the time difference).

As I said I'm a new user so may be missing something obvious.

I will try and study further and get more positive facts and pop another post.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Brian
Title: Re: Little USA Stuff
Post by: Runway 31 on January 30, 2014, 10:30:25 PM
Aircraft are not required to be ADSB equipped to get into any airspace.  Flybe aircraft are not ADSB equipped if that is who you mean and dont show on the map

Alan
Title: Re: Little USA Stuff
Post by: Judwin45 on January 31, 2014, 11:25:53 AM
Hi

You don't say if you are signed up for RadarBox24 and therefore looking at the network or are you just looking at returns from your individual box.

Regards
Title: Re: Little USA Stuff
Post by: Runway 31 on January 31, 2014, 12:33:14 PM
Yes, the more info the better gets better answers and saves a lot of guess work.

Alan
Title: Re: Little USA Stuff
Post by: CYYZGUY on January 31, 2014, 11:35:33 PM
By 2020 in north america, all commercial planes should be equipped with ADSB as outlined by the FAA.

http://www.nbaa.org/news/insider/2012/09/ADS-B-for-business-aircraft.php