AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: jetset on February 13, 2014, 11:04:55 PM

Title: RADAR-200 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on February 13, 2014, 11:04:55 PM
I currently have the Moonraker RADAR-100 SUPER GAINER and have got very good results as I stated in this thread last year.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=7121.msg93398#msg93398

Since then Moonraker have come out with the 200 version which is 500mm longer and £30 more expensive.

http://www.moonraker.eu/avionics-and-shipping/avionics/avionic-antennas-and-accessories/radar-200-super-gainer-1090-mhz-colinear-base-antenna

Can anyone tell me why I'd be wasting my money buying this newer version? :)

Thanks

Title: Re: RADAR-200 SUPER GAINER
Post by: neroon79 on February 14, 2014, 07:05:29 AM
The new has a gain of 7.5dB your existing has a gain of 6.5dB. That's 1dB or approx. 15% more.  That can approve your reception on the outer edge of your reception area. But remember: 1090 MHz needs direct line of sight, which means if there is any obstacle that is blocking your line of sight no increased antenna gain will get you any improvement in terms of reception range or number of received airframes.

To give further thoughts about the buy or not buy it may be helpful, if you post a screenshot with following items activated:

-polardigramm
-radar rings
-show maximum propagation rings

If your polardiagramm is hitting the max. prop. rings in directions of free line of sights I'll would save the money. But if you don't know were to throw your money, why not buying a new antenna.

What was the definition of a hobby... Produce the smallest possible benefit with the greatest possible effort.

hth Ingo
Title: Re: RADAR-200 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on February 14, 2014, 06:36:51 PM
This is my polar with the Radar 100

(http://i.imgur.com/ngOfPpy.png)

I was thinking about replacing my 12ft pole with a 16ft pole for extra height and get a bit more from the south.
Title: Re: RADAR-200 SUPER GAINER
Post by: neroon79 on February 14, 2014, 07:35:43 PM
Placing the existing antenna 4ft higher shall give you more improvement than bying the new antenna.

Is there another house in 225° direction from your home? I've same kind of "hole" in the range of my polar diagram. In my case it's the rooftop of nearby house and an hospitalbuilding about 100m away.

Ingo
Title: Re: RADAR-200 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on February 14, 2014, 08:00:02 PM
I'm in the middle or a row of terrace houses. There are also some trees a couple of roads away in that direction.
Title: Re: RADAR-200 SUPER GAINER
Post by: CoastGuardJon on February 14, 2014, 10:33:51 PM
Ingo's absolutely right, get your existing antenna as high as is possible, and that'll extend your range more than a fancy new twig!   I'm situated on top of cliffs in sw Cornwall, with a standard supplied (thoroughly waterproofed) antenna stuck on an old Peugeot 405 brake disc on top of a flat roof, ht. 210' asl, and can pick up an aircraft at FL400 at 270nm distance due west.  You can't get a lot better than that, but it's totally due to the uninterrupted line of sight looking west! Height is might!!
Title: Re: RADAR-200 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on February 14, 2014, 11:58:02 PM
I'm fully aware that height is king here but what if I were to say that I'm looking to get this mounted up on my chimney while my roof is being 'refurbished'?
I.E I'm never going to have access to it again. What's up there stays up there, end of.
The pole mount that I have at the moment will be used for Airband or general scanning, what ever takes my fancy.




Title: Re: RADAR-200 SUPER GAINER
Post by: CoastGuardJon on February 15, 2014, 12:04:46 PM
Hi Steve, my advice would be to stick with what you've got (but whilst you've easy access, thoroughly check everything out - look for any corrosion where different  metals meet), just make sure, all joints and vulnerable points are as waterproofed as possible, packing plug and sockets with electricians' silicone grease is very effective, let us know which way you go and how you get on.
Title: Re: RADAR-200 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on February 16, 2014, 05:30:11 PM
I haven't actually had it up for a while. My SUPER SCANSTICK-II has been up there for the last 6 months.
I put the Radar 100 back up this morning and just took a screenshot. Check out MyFlights :)

(http://i.imgur.com/n10CPOo.png)
Title: Re: RADAR-200 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on February 16, 2014, 06:59:15 PM
608 is a record for me!

(http://i.imgur.com/cXugVhg.png)
Title: Re: RADAR-200 SUPER GAINER
Post by: Runway 31 on February 16, 2014, 07:04:26 PM
Impressive to say the least

Alan
Title: Re: RADAR-200 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on February 16, 2014, 07:37:56 PM
Just ordered the 200 :)
Title: Re: RADAR-200 SUPER GAINER
Post by: neroon79 on February 17, 2014, 05:12:21 PM
@ Alan, did you see the missing route information for Thomas Cook? ;-)

Here in Germany I'll have to go on top of the "Brocken" to have this number of airframes in the grid. On a good day in the summer I get up to 200.

Ingo
Title: Re: RADAR-200 SUPER GAINER
Post by: Runway 31 on February 17, 2014, 05:39:35 PM
Noted it Ingo, it was out of Gatwick for one of  the Canary Island but missed which one, will get it next weekend.

Most I have ever had at one time at home was 43 flights and thats with a DPD antenna.  Got 129 with the supplied antenna waiting on a ferry at Portsmouth one time though.  It just proves you can have the best set up going but if you dont have the flights you dont get much on the screen!

Alan
Title: Re: RADAR-200 SUPER GAINER
Post by: jetset on March 02, 2014, 06:50:35 PM
Hmmm. Not really sure about the Radar 200.
Got it up today but either there are not many planes up there at the moment or this is performing worse than my 100 for some reason.
Currently seeing 300+ aircraft.