Does anyone on the offchance know if any of the FlyBe fleet are ADS-B equipped (Embraer E195 AR, Embraer 145, Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 or BAe146 )?
Thanks
DC
They all have Mode-S, which means they can appear in the aircraft list (MyLog) but they are not Mode-B fitted which means they will not appear on the maps. No Embraer aircraft are yet fitted with Mode-B with any airline and most Turbo-prop aircraft are the same, with one or two exceptions.
Thanks for the info, Roadrunner.
DC
(swear word) I had over looked this. I am I correct in saying that MODE S is the later type of transponder yet it cannot be viewed on the mapping software?
Had a look on the database and Flybe does not seem to appear. I'm feeling a little bit disappointed knowing I cannot view Europe's largest regional airline.
Probably been mentioned a million times but will MODE S be possible to view in a later update?
Please put my mind to rest and tell me I have not made a big mistake before going to work :(
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=810&pagetype=90
Quote from: Rockeyes on April 19, 2008, 09:15:34 AM
(swear word) I had over looked this. I am I correct in saying that MODE S is the later type of transponder yet it cannot be viewed on the mapping software?
Had a look on the database and Flybe does not seem to appear. I'm feeling a little bit disappointed knowing I cannot view Europe's largest regional airline.
Probably been mentioned a million times but will MODE S be possible to view in a later update?
Please put my mind to rest and tell me I have not made a big mistake before going to work :(
http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=810&pagetype=90
A short answer :-)
Mode S is the latest transponder, and a mode S transponder will always be picked up by RadarBox and the aircraft displayed in the aircraft list (if it is in range of your antenna).
However, not all Mode S boxes transmit all the information required to show aircraft on the map - that is the lat/lon position information. Sometimes this is because the aircraft has an old Mode S box (FlyBe) and sometimes it is because the aircraft operator doesn't want ANYBODY other than air traffic to know where they are (military aircraft and most executive jets).
So, you have done the right thing getting RadarBox, but you will have to wait for FlyBe to upgrade their Mode S transponders, or indeed, their aircraft.
The FlyBe aircraft will appear in MyLog, and this records ALL "live" aircraft picked up by your antenna, even if they only show in the aircraft list.
Allocator
To add to this, being in Stevenage I get a lot of non ADS-B fitted bizz jets on finals for runway 26 at Luton overflying my house. I use a combination of their recorded height (as in the aircraft list) , an airband radio (to get their reported height and headings) and looking out the window to actually eyeball the aircraft. This works well and I manage to identify loads on Non ADS-B aircraft en-route to Luton.
Mike
These are the FlyBe aircraft I have in MyLog - sorry about the formatting, but this is how it comes out when you post it to the forum. The only problem with MyLog in this case, is that it doesn't show which aircraft transmit position information and therefore were plotted on the map. The dates are first contact dates.
G-ECOA De Havilland Canada DHC-8-402Q Dash 8DH8D Flybe - British Europea 15/12/2007 14:00
G-ECOB De Havilland DHC8-402 DH8D Flybe 19/01/2008 10:42
G-EMBH Embraer EMB-145EU (ERJ-145EU) E145 Flybe - British Europea 20/07/2006 20:57
G-FBEA Embraer ERJ-190-200LR 195 E190 Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 17:27
G-FBEB Embraer ERJ-190-200LR 195 E190 Flybe - British Europea 01/12/2007 08:26
G-FBEC Embraer ERJ 190-200 LR E190 Flybe Ltd 11/12/2007 20:06
G-FBED Embraer ERJ 190-200 LR E190 Flybe Ltd 30/11/2007 17:08
G-FBEE Embraer ERJ 190-200 LR E190 Flybe Ltd 30/11/2007 17:21
G-FBEF Embraer ERJ 190-200 LR E190 Flybe Ltd 30/11/2007 07:19
G-FBEG Embraer ERJ-190-200LR 195LR ... Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 07:30
G-FBEH Embraer ERJ 190-200 LR E190 FlyBe 30/11/2007 17:48
G-FBEI Embraer ERJ-190-200LR 195LR ... Flybe - British Europea 27/01/2008 10:12
G-JEAV British Aerospace 146-200 B462 FlyBe 24/07/2006 17:31
G-JEBA British Aerospace BAe-146 B463 Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 17:59
G-JEBC British Aerospace 146-300 B463 FlyBe 20/07/2006 21:19
G-JEBF British Aerospace BAe-146 B463 Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 18:03
G-JEBG British Aerospace BAe-146-300 B463 Flybe - British Europea 21/07/2006 07:23
G-JECE De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 17:28
G-JECF De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 17:56
G-JECG De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 17:42
G-JECH De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 17:29
G-JECI De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 23/07/2006 14:06
G-JECJ De Havilland Canada DHC-8-402Q Dash 8DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 07:19
G-JECK De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 17:25
G-JECL De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 21/07/2006 17:19
G-JECM De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 07:22
G-JECN De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 17:50
G-JECO De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 07:32
G-JECP De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 17:17
G-JECR De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 18:25
G-JECS De Havilland DHC8-402 DH8D Flybe Ltd 30/11/2007 17:15
G-JECT De Havilland DHC8-402 DH8D Flybe Ltd 30/11/2007 16:37
G-JECU De Havilland DHC8-402 DH8D Flybe Ltd 08/12/2007 16:04
G-JECV De Havilland DHC8-402 DH8D Flybe Ltd 30/11/2007 07:27
G-JECW De Havilland DHC8-402 DH8D Flybe Ltd 01/12/2007 08:37
G-JECX De Havilland DHC8-402 DH8D Flybe Ltd 30/11/2007 17:01
G-JECY De Havilland DHC8-402 DH8D Flybe Ltd 30/11/2007 07:20
G-JECZ De Havilland Canada DHC-8-402Q Dash 8... Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 07:29
G-JEDI De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 17:34
G-JEDJ De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 07:26
G-JEDK De Havilland Canada DHC-8-402Q Dash 8DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 17:02
G-JEDL De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 17:21
G-JEDM De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 07:19
G-JEDN De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 03/12/2007 20:03
G-JEDO De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 07:34
G-JEDP De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 22/07/2006 15:38
G-JEDR De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 17:23
G-JEDT De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 16:36
G-JEDU De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 22/07/2006 13:50
G-JEDV De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 07:30
G-JEDW De Havilland Canada DHC-8 DH8D Flybe - British Europea 30/11/2007 07:19
G-ECOC De Havilland DHC8-402 DH8D FlyBe 31/03/2008 19:31
Further to my last post.......
It seems that FlyBe don't bother to input the Flight ID into the Mode S box (if they have this capability) as when checking MyLog, I have NO FlyBe Flight ID's and therefore there is never going to be a FlyBe logo showing in the aircraft list :-(
Not a RadarBox fault, but a FlyBe company procedure problem.
Maybe a future enhancement would be the option to select a code to be used against particular aircraft then it could use the operators logo based on either aircraft details or company name. I like to show the owners logo rather than for whom the aircraft just happens to be operating a flight.
You can filter the MyFlight list to show the FlyBe aircraft, but you can't use SmartView Fleet Watch non Flight ID aircraft.
(http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2085/2425484810_b44f8f1c50.jpg)
Click the link below for full size:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2085/2425484810_102cb5a4f5_o.jpg
Note to AirNav Support - the only way I can enter Flybe* into the quick filter box, is to choose Flybe Ltd or Flybe - British European, then delete back to Flybe and enter the "*". If you type FLYBE* (it all comes out in capitals - can't seem to do lower case) then Flybe (as listed in the drop down box) is not recognised. The filter seems to be case-sensitive.
Allocator
Quote from: Allocator on April 19, 2008, 02:05:28 PM
You can filter the MyFlight list to show the FlyBe aircraft, but you can't use SmartView Fleet Watch non Flight ID aircraft.
My idea was to find a way of enabling a logo to be displayed even when a flight number is not shown or is for the company the aircraft happens to be flying with rather than the owner. I was not looking for a filter of a specific company. However, if their was a field that would enable, say, inputing the 3 - letter ICAO code and having RB use that to display the logo.
Mike
Thanks Allocator, we have noted that as a bug.
Quote from: Roadrunner on April 19, 2008, 02:52:15 PM
Quote from: Allocator on April 19, 2008, 02:05:28 PM
You can filter the MyFlight list to show the FlyBe aircraft, but you can't use SmartView Fleet Watch non Flight ID aircraft.
My idea was to find a way of enabling a logo to be displayed even when a flight number is not shown or is for the company the aircraft happens to be flying with rather than the owner. I was not looking for a filter of a specific company. However, if their was a field that would enable, say, inputing the 3 - letter ICAO code and having RB use that to display the logo.
Mike
Mike,
As per SBS-1? I wouldn't really be in favour of that, unless it only worked if there was no Flight ID. I would much rather have the Logo display driven by the ICAO ID. I don't really care who the owner is, I want to know who the operator is.
I am quite happy with how this works - most of the time. However, It would be a manual input so that the user can decide whether he /she wants to have the owner or flight operator in that field. Once manually input it would be retained for future use. It is all about choice rather than having to live with a very fixed idea. :-)
I had a chat with a Flybe wizard who is a senior player in their technical support department down in Exeter and I'm informed that the Flybe fleet of Embraer aircraft including the Q400 and EMB195 do not have ADS-B systems fitted.
It is a system that is being monitored closely and Bombardier will shortly have a system for demonstration. However due to the expense of this equipment it is not envisaged to be fitted unless of course it becomes a mandatory requirement, which maybe not too far away.
So fingers crossed :)
Quote from: Rockeyes on April 24, 2008, 01:25:53 PM
I had a chat with a Flybe wizard who is a senior player in their technical support department down in Exeter and I'm informed that the Flybe fleet of Embraer aircraft including the Q400 and EMB195 do not have ADS-B systems fitted.
It is a system that is being monitored closely and Bombardier will shortly have a system for demonstration. However due to the expense of this equipment it is not envisaged to be fitted unless of course it becomes a mandatory requirement, which maybe not too far away.
So fingers crossed :)
This is obviously incorrect, as I have Flybe E145 and E190 aircraft in my MyLog printout above. I have seen all these aircraft in my aircraft list, but not on the map.
Allocator
But the list data does not require ADS-B data but the map does. Is that not so?
Have you got any location data in 'Mylog'?
The data you are gathering is from the MODE S transponder.
Quote from: Rockeyes on April 24, 2008, 01:38:47 PM
But the list data does not require ADS-B data but the map does. Is that not so?
Have you got any location data in 'Mylog'?
The data you are gathering is from the MODE S transponder.
Ahhh....... OK, I'll give you that :-)
Unfortunately, MyLog doesn't give location data, so there is no way of telling after the event if the aircraft appeared on the map. I know for sure that the DH8's don't show.
Allocator
Yes lets hope that the authorities do see sense and make in mandatory.
Of course then the passengers will complain about higher fares.
Boeing and Airbus fit it as standard so if I were a manufacture or buyer I would be asking, "do those guys know something I don't?"
Apparently it is an extremely good system and eliminates the use the interrogating radar, decreases ATC workload and decreases the chance of a problem via RT.
Maybe next week I will pop in and take a peek at a system ;)
Hey monsieur Allocator no problems. I would have been over the moon for me to be wrong on that one.
Steveb25... Going up v soon as there is a huge airspace charge coming in for anything over 28 tonne. Going to be a balancing act on the Q400 anyway. Then there is the fuel !
Now a quick off topic, how can I impose the map data over google earth?
QuoteNow a quick off topic, how can I impose the map data over google earth?
You can't do this directly using RadarBox, however, you can take a look at Open ATC:
http://www.openatc.com/
Or, you can do this using PlanePlotter:
http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm
Neither display will be as good as that you already have with the Radarbox map though :-)
I'm off work today so I will see if I have any luck with those, thanks. Display may not be as good as the RB but I need some more detail on the mapping to provide a better visual reference to the A/C track.
The lack of ADS-B data must also be an Embraer thing as well because the Emb 145's that Flybe operate were inherited when Flybe took over BA Connect a couple of years ago