AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: CYYZGUY on June 21, 2014, 10:25:36 PM

Title: Pics of new Antenna Install + Airnav Command and Control!
Post by: CYYZGUY on June 21, 2014, 10:25:36 PM
FINALLY, my new antenna install was completed today....having 2 young kids will do this to ya....it took forever!

It was a professional install done by myself and my neighbour, properly grounded with thick copper wire.

I am getting superb ground returns now.

Here are some pics of the install, plus my airnav command and control centre..

Enjoy!

(https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3916/14289339307_ca5623acdc_b.jpg) (https://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/14289339307/)
DSC_0469 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/14289339307/) by CYYZGUY (https://www.flickr.com/people/86721442@N07/), on Flickr

(https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3916/14289153889_99b6745705_b.jpg) (https://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/14289153889/)
DSC_0468 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/14289153889/) by CYYZGUY (https://www.flickr.com/people/86721442@N07/), on Flickr

(https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2914/14452693396_af17752055_b.jpg) (https://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/14452693396/)
DSC_0467 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/14452693396/) by CYYZGUY (https://www.flickr.com/people/86721442@N07/), on Flickr

(https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2927/14289177340_93be018be5_b.jpg) (https://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/14289177340/)
DSC_0466 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/14289177340/) by CYYZGUY (https://www.flickr.com/people/86721442@N07/), on Flickr

(https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3908/14289338967_4684e50cb9_b.jpg) (https://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/14289338967/)
DSC_0473 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/86721442@N07/14289338967/) by CYYZGUY (https://www.flickr.com/people/86721442@N07/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Pics of new Antenna Install + Airnav Command and Control!
Post by: Runway 31 on June 22, 2014, 08:37:53 AM
Nice set up Jason.

Alan
Title: Re: Pics of new Antenna Install + Airnav Command and Control!
Post by: satbopper on June 22, 2014, 10:47:54 AM
Jason,
Good job,a good advice,put the antennes on the left above the roof
greetings
Ronald
Title: Re: Pics of new Antenna Install + Airnav Command and Control!
Post by: CYYZGUY on June 22, 2014, 11:46:35 AM
Hi Sat, the antenna's on the left are just to pick up some local chatter on our transit system here..  I was thinking about mounting them higher but they seem to be doing going where they are..

cheers,

Jason
Title: Re: Pics of new Antenna Install + Airnav Command and Control!
Post by: CoastGuardJon on June 22, 2014, 12:31:20 PM
Hi Jason, in your pile of rigs I see 4x Uniden Bearcats - which models?   I've a UBC800XLT and the ARC800PRO software from Butel, but have never figured out how to use it properly, and in touch with another guy who's in exactly the same position as I am.     If you've got it sussed out, maybe you'll be able to help us - it seems to me there's just too many bells and whistles!
Title: Re: Pics of new Antenna Install + Airnav Command and Control!
Post by: Runway 31 on June 22, 2014, 12:34:48 PM
Got to agree there John, I also have the UBC800XLT and have managed to get one frequency into it in a little over a year.  I also could do with some tips on how to get them in.

Alan
Title: Re: Pics of new Antenna Install + Airnav Command and Control!
Post by: CYYZGUY on June 22, 2014, 12:47:03 PM
Hey guys, I have one BCT15, 2 BCT15X, and 1 BCD996XT.

In terms of programming, adding a few channels by direct entry should be fairly simple.  I use an older program called FREESCAN, which links directly up to the RadioReference database.  (You need a subscription)  but it is worth its weight in gold!!!!!  It makes programming complete systems very very easy.  For example, I can upload every channel from CYYZ into one "bank" and just scan through it.

Try downloading Freescan, you may find it very easy!

Jason
Title: Re: Pics of new Antenna Install + Airnav Command and Control!
Post by: satbopper on June 22, 2014, 01:14:08 PM
Hi
I own a  bct15x,good scanner,for those,have a look at proscan,its not free but at this moment the best software for the bct15x,because manually it is a hell to program the bct15x
Ronald
Title: Re: Pics of new Antenna Install + Airnav Command and Control!
Post by: Runway 31 on June 22, 2014, 01:53:36 PM
Cheers lads,

The UCB800XLT is the European version of the BCT15. I have the free Butel and the paid for ARC800 Pro programming software and am not any further forward!!

Radioreference looks good for North America but not so good outwith.

Alan
Title: Re: Pics of new Antenna Install + Airnav Command and Control!
Post by: CoastGuardJon on June 22, 2014, 04:30:59 PM
Hi Jason, Alan and Roland, I'm so relieved that I'm not the only to have a problem with the programming of the UBC800XLT.   There was an article in RadioUser (what used to be Short Wave Magazine) a while that featured a lady who had really got to grips with the 800XLT and all its programming problems - I keep meaning to dig it out and contact her, if I have any success with that direction, I'll let you all know.
Title: Re: Pics of new Antenna Install + Airnav Command and Control!
Post by: CYYZGUY on June 22, 2014, 06:37:32 PM
I guess I have been using these kinds of scanners for years...I find it super easy to program them, even manually, especially for conventional frequencies.  I wish I could do it for you guys!!!!!!
Title: Re: Pics of new Antenna Install + Airnav Command and Control!
Post by: Runway 31 on June 22, 2014, 07:30:29 PM
Cheers Jon, maybe we will need to get Jason a ticket to come over here and train us up :-))

Alan
Title: Re: Pics of new Antenna Install + Airnav Command and Control!
Post by: CYYZGUY on June 22, 2014, 07:47:14 PM
I wonder if the programming is any different for your model compared to my BCT 15X?

Here is a link that everyone tends to use here in North America...It applies to the BCT15X  but should be exactly the same for you.

It's called Mark's easy to read scanner programming..

http://marksscanners.com/BCT15X/bct15x.shtml
Title: Re: Pics of new Antenna Install + Airnav Command and Control!
Post by: Runway 31 on June 22, 2014, 08:06:35 PM
Cheers Jason, I think there is a similar one for the UBC800XLT, I will give it a go when I get back to the UK next month.

Alan
+