AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Knotty on May 29, 2015, 02:39:03 AM

Title: Reverse directions.
Post by: Knotty on May 29, 2015, 02:39:03 AM
I have recently started getting more flights showing the correct airports, but in the reverse direction to those where the plane is obviously going. For example the flight is listed as Glasgow to London, but the aircraft is going north and airport checks confirm this.
I am typically picking up around 100 planes and only two or three show this effect. It does not seem to relate to particular operators.
Any ideas?
Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: FACTflights on May 29, 2015, 07:16:11 AM
I have also experienced this here in Cape Town,  I think this is due to the crew not changing the route information from the previous flight which was in the indicated direction.
Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: Runway 31 on May 29, 2015, 07:36:52 AM
If you can advise me the call sign when you see this and I will check.  Also I presume these are on myflights?

Alan
Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: Knotty on May 29, 2015, 02:23:04 PM
I have just founs a couple.

Air France
C/N 3777
AFR1069
Paris CDG to Manchester
14.15 UTC

Actually going the oher way.

Easy JeyC/N 4219
EZY79NA
Glasgow to Paris CDG

14.20 UTC

Heading North

and a slightly different problem

Easy Jet
C/N 2450
EZY6GX
Sofia to Gatwick

14.06 UTC

Evidently heading for Manchester or Belfast not Gatwick

I have not checked the specified destinations for these flights yet
Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: Runway 31 on May 29, 2015, 03:10:30 PM
Knotty,

As per the d/b and I am happy that they are correct.

AFR1069,AFR1069,EGCC,LFPG
EZY79NA,EZY6884,LFPG,EGPF,,
Cannot find an EZY6GX in the d/b or on the server or any details for it elsewhere.

What does your Navdata have for these flights and can you confirm they were on myflights.

Please pass details of any others you may see.

Alan

Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: Knotty on May 29, 2015, 11:37:08 PM
Fistly, yes they are on "My Flights".
I have not studied any network flights to see if they have similar problems.

I am not sure what you mean by my Navdata.

I have found another one which I have had time to compare with other data

EZY12DY at 22.32 UTC  Aircraft G-EZFH

"My Flights" shows from Belfast Aldergrove (EGAA) to London Stanstead (EGSS)

However the map shows it going the other way and
also shows EGAA-EGSS (which is backwards)

It also shows this in 'My log'.  This throws up another possible reversal in that the Start altitude is shown as 07750 and the End altitude as 28000, which is odd as I can follow flights virtually into Belfast, but we will not compicate the issue with this. I have never looked at these figures before!

Checking it later on 'Network flights', on the ground at Belfast, the tag on the map shows the correct EGSS-EGAA.

Radarbox24 Elite shows Stanstead to Belfast, which is correct

Flightradar24 shows STN (Stanstead) to BFS (Belfast), which is also correct.

I have found several others, but it is only a small proportion of flights and is not restricted to Easyjet although I have used them for several examples as I have quite a lot of their flights going overhead.

This is not a serious problem, but I would like to know if my system is scrambling the data, or if the information received is incorrect.
Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: Runway 31 on May 30, 2015, 08:04:54 AM
Knotty,

The Navdata is the database that contains the routes.  You will find it from File/Database Explorer/Select table/Routes, gives it some time to show as there are lots of routes. It is on the other tab next to Database Updates.  You should see a figure of around 310453 rows if your database is up to date.  Presuming you are on V5.

To check a route enter the flight ID in Text to Find then Condition In Field FN and it will show the details at the top of the table.

EZY12DY shows in the d/b and on the Navdata as EGSS-EGAA.

Myflights data comes from your onboard Navdata and networks flights data comes from the server so going by what you saw on the ground at Belfast, the server is showing the correct data.  It would help to try and find an answer if you could find out what your Navdata is showing. 

Alan
Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: Knotty on May 30, 2015, 09:44:42 AM
Thanks for the guidance.
I thought you had cracked it, but when I delved into the routes database it shows:
EZY12DY as NO= ECSS, ND= EGAA which is correct. The figure in the CH column is 20150403202730.

However, I am using RadarBox 3D Software version 4.03
Software version date 2010/02/07 04.26
Firmware version 02.03.1

That means that I probably need to update, but it does not answer the original question.
Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: Runway 31 on May 30, 2015, 09:55:48 AM
Why the old version is showing it incorrectly I don't know especially when you have it in the database correctly.

Alan
Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: Knotty on May 30, 2015, 11:07:27 AM
I checked the Air France and Easy Jet Flights that I reported earlier as showing reverse locations and they are both correct in the data base.
I am about to update to the latest software version.
Thanks, John
Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: Runway 31 on May 30, 2015, 11:32:21 AM
Make sure you don't install to program files location.

Alan
Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: Knotty on May 30, 2015, 07:20:40 PM
I am now using version 5. (I did not install to the program files, but wonder why I should not.)

Anyway, I have been looking for reverse flights without success but have just found one.
Stobart/Aer Lingus flight STK276B was shown as going from Birmingham to Dublin, but the map showed the reverse route and I actually watched it overhead going to Birmingham.
I checked my routes database and could find no STK flights at all, so I updated the database, (which should have been automatic), and now have many STK flights listed.
STK276B is shown as Birmingham to Dublin, which is wrong and would account for the error.

I wonder if "FACTflights" assumption that they simply had not changed from the previous flight as STK274B is the reverse route, but I would hope that did not happen often.

I also wonder how it knew anything about the route when the STK flights were missing from my database.

Thanks for trying to sort this out, but it looks as though I (and maybe others), will just have to ignore the From/To fields and look at the map.
John
Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: Knotty on May 30, 2015, 07:29:09 PM
Sorry to belabour this point, but the plane has just gone back to Dublin with the flight number STK277B, which is correct on all counts and matches the database.
Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: Runway 31 on May 30, 2015, 08:01:52 PM
John,

Regarding program files, unfortunately the Windows Virtual store throws up problems and if software is installed to program files, problems can occur, this is a well documented problem and use of search will throw up many threads detailing the issue.  It affects many items not only Radarbox.

Updating the database is not automatic and must be done manually, not everyone wants an updated database and prefer to do it themselves therefore manual updating is required,  a new one is available for downloading each day.  We do not presume for users and let them make the choice when and how often and which part of the database is updated.  While you may not have updated your database, the information was there waiting for you and was being used by the software.

The routes come from the server and the reason why it knew about them is that I had added them in and if you don't have then in your database, the software will go to the server to find the information.. Unfortunately I had added STK276B in as EGBB-EIDW which would appear to be incorrect and I have amended the entry to read EIDW-EGBB .  The updates are taken from the server and if I have made a mistake and added an entry in incorrectly it will be wrong on the server and therefore on the Navdata when downloaded.   Given that here are over 310,000 routes in the database perhaps I can be forgiven for getting the odd one wrong and I am not going to beat myself up because of an error I have made.  I will however amend it when I notice or am advised. 

Route info changes every day and new routes are added every day.  Some airlines like United can use the same flight ID for 3 or 4 different routes each week, nightmare stuff.  Charter airlines can use the same flight ID for 3 or 4 different routes each season.  Airlines change flight ID's depending on whether it is summer or winter there fore the same route can have 2 flight ID;s each year.  some airlines such as Wizz Air change their flight ID's on the first of every month and we try and keep on top of all the changes.

Unfortunately I am human and can make mistakes but please be assured I do not do them deliberately and if you feel that my efforts are not accurate enough for you by all means please feel free to ignore the information given. The database update team are volunteers and give their time freely to update the database for users.

Rather than ignore however most users prefer to advise of inaccuracies and we therefore have a thread whereby users can advise corrections required or where the information is unknown and they have the data, the Database Update Thread and can be used to advise on routes or aircraft etc.  Errors are mostly pretty evident and advising me of them will soon get them updated.  I don't even need the correct information, only the fact something is incorrect or has no data and I will scour the internet to try and find the correct data and update or amend wherever possible.

Alan
Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: Knotty on May 30, 2015, 09:47:38 PM
Alan,
Far from being a complaint, it has been an education, as I was unaware of the complexities of keeping the system up to date. I naïvely assumed that there was a central register of flight numbers that would be searched automatically, rather than requiring painstaking updates.

The reason I posted this in the first place was because I found errors on a small number of flights. I confess that I was surprised to find so many routes in the data base, so it is hardly surprising that errors can occur if they require manual entries. The numbering system seems to be a bit of a nightmare.

I note that there is now a column in the database marked autoupdate, which is presumably a new feature. I was also unaware that if the local system was short of information it took data from and on-line source.

I will follow up the error reporting system if that is helpful. I suspect most users do not understand how things work and it has been a pleasure corresponding with someone who really does understand the system. Maybe I should log on to the forum more often as there is clearly a wealth of experience there.

Many thanks for your assistance.
John
Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: Hawkeye on May 31, 2015, 02:41:59 PM
Hi Alan,

As you say, there are bound to be errors in the Routes database despite all the hard work you and the team put into it and it goes without saying that your efforts are much appreciated by everyone. I don't for one minute think that John was complaining or 'having a do' at you.

Anyway, on to a little 'annoyance' I get with routes.
I regularly get flights not showing a route in My Flights although there is one shown in the d/base.
I've attached just one example from earlier today.
Wondering if this anomaly is common to everyone or just me, due perhaps to corruption of my 5.00.072 installation
I can't understand how, if it's a fault at my end, only a few and not the lot don't appear Any ideas?

Regarding your comments about updating.  Although I regularly manually update anyway because I reckoned using Auto Populate in Preferences may be the cause of my box often 'hanging' for up to three minutes at the Optimising Data stage,  like John, I thought that by ticking the boxes for photos, aircraft and routes in the 'Auto Populate' facility it would do exactly that. If it doesn't, what does it do?

Regards,

Syd

Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: Runway 31 on May 31, 2015, 08:06:20 PM
Syd,

A long time ago users decided that routes would have a life span of 3 months, I am sure use of the search system would find the discussion.  The decision was taken when the routes were crap and could probably be reviewed now.

What you see is the result of that decisions, the ch date needs changed as the route is time expired and the only way it can be done is for me to recycle it back in through the database which I do with a lot each day when I see a flight ID with no route showing either in myflights or on the network.  However with so many routes in the database and the fact that I cannot watch every flight every day, some get missed and it is only when I am advised or notice them that they get recycled back in.  AAL87 has been recycled back in now that you have advised me so should show OK now.  To users if you see routes not showing tell me and I will sort it out.

Regarding auto-populate.  It is intended to update singular aircraft that you pick up or click on that have no data allocated on your Navadata and the data is available on the server.

2.  It will only auto-populate the aircraft if you actually pick up the aircraft in myflights or if you click on a network  flight.
2.  It will only auto-populate if the data is already in the database.
3.  It will not overwrite any data already in place.  A database update is required for this.
4.  For photos you require to click on the aircraft for its photos to download.
5.  For routes auto-populate only populates data if there was nothing existing for it previously on your Navadata, it doesn't over-write any existing data.  Again a database update is required to change existing data.

Often I see a new aircraft on the network for example out of Airbus on delivery.  I don't click on it at this stage.  I enter the data into the database and then click on the unknown aircraft.  The grid updates within a few seconds with the map following shortly afterwards, an example of auto population in action.  If you were then to go to the Navdata you would see the new aircraft at the very bottom if you went into the aircraft table and clicked on Show All and Add Record.

Database updates update the entire database taken direct from the server.  Auto-populate has nothing to do with optimising following a database update.  Optimising is just the software finishing processing the data from the download or ensuring the data is in the correct place each time you start up.

Hope this explanation helps.

Alan
Title: Re: Reverse directions.
Post by: Runway 31 on May 31, 2015, 08:24:11 PM
John,

The main reason for the auto-update column as you mention is to allow users to change it to NO from the default YES.

You may note that we pick up multitudes of Miscodes  An example of this NO change is where a users may want to manually update the database if where they have a non-plotters local to them that the pick up very often that has for example an American hex code from its previously life that it is still using.  The US unfortunately reuse hex codes/registrations and a new allocation for the hex code/registration could for example be on an airliner which is ADSB equipped and is then noted all over the world.  The user may never see that aircraft in their locality especially if they don't use the network facility and may therefore prefer to have their miscode show its details.  They would then change the YES to NO and that would prevent the miscode being over written by the correct data when they carry out a database update using the Do not Update manually changed records option for updating.

Another use is where the user prefers to use their own photographs for aircraft and it can prevent the server stored photos being downloaded.

The errors you noted initially will probably have been caused by the old version of the software with the one from last night caused by my error adding it into the database.  Unfortunately there is no central database that we can call the flight ID's from and we have required to compile one through hard work over tome and which requires constant updating.

I would welcome it if you forwarded any details of incorrect or no route showing flight ID,s and I would endeavour to update or add in the details.

Many thanks

Alan

Alan