A crane on the glidepath to London City Airport has its own ADS`B beacon, I`ve not seen this before and wondered if it was unusual
So there is! No, I've never seen this sort of thing before - seeing where it is, it looks like a sensible precaution, especially if it really is 150ft tall and so close to the approach path. I would have thought it was lower than the Emirates Airline cable car towers, though, and it's right next to them.
It is presently apparently doing 1kt northbound - wonder where it will be tomorrow!
See http://www.notam.org/airport/London+City+Airport
Alan
Go on Rod silhouette for that one then. ;-)
Dave.
Interesting observation... Quite often I see Ground Vehicles with ADS-B leave the airport and drive to a restaurant or something..Fun to see!
Jason
I`ve been to have a look today and the likliest crane is probably about a hundred and fifty feet high plus it has an angled jib extending about another seventy five feet,bearing in mind that this part of the glide slope appears to be under five hundred feet it must make things pretty hairy for the pilots in strong winds
See the logos thread - specially for Dave!
Top marks Rod, can`t JIB at that.
Dave.
The crane is now up to two hundred and eighty five feet