Hi !
I'm after some expert advice !
I have an original AirNav RadarBox from 2008. I haven't used it for a few years as I've been mainly a shorthaul pilot and tend to use FR24 for ease when at home.
I've now changed fleets to the A330 to do permanent long haul and will be taking my AirNav box away with me on trips.
I'm currently running Windows 10 and AirNav Radarbox 6.00.00
I live very close to the the threshold of Runway 05R at MAN. When I ran the program in the past I could see traffic pretty much from coast to coast with great coverage. Now, traffic only pings up when it's pretty much overhead, with rarely more than 2 aeroplanes showing at a time.
Is this a case of my box is old and running on Windows 10 or am I missing something ?
I've downloaded all driver updates.
When the program loads up only RB1 is found. Could this be a reason ?
I look forward to some expert opinions !!
Kind Regards.
Andy
TCX_Driver
What antenna are you using Andy and how much of the sky is it seeing
Alan
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the reply. I'm just using the original antenna that came with the box in 2008. I took it out in the car a couple of hours ago with no improvement.
Andy
Hi Andy:
RB1 is the classic Radarbox Hardware and as your Software finds it and connects to it (some airframes are received) there is no problem with the operating system (WINDOWS) or drivers. Furthermore the operating system is never responsible for low reception count. On weak hardware the airframe display on map can get very slow but it never reduces the count of received airframes.
Possibel reasons for bad reception (no obstacles in the line of sight):
- Antenna cable damaged
- Connector* damaged or corroded** centre contacts / *Plug(cable) and Jack(Box) **Gold plating lost and nickel layer on surface. Probabillity for this case is low.
- "cold" solder point of SMA Jack on PCB
- sawfilter of box damaged by electrostatic discharge --> Repair needed
You are using V6, so you may try a DVB-T SDR Stick as a receiver.
Ingo
That would suggest that there is a defect with the box. Out in the car with plenty of space around you should have seen you picking up aircraft a good distance way.
Alan
Ingo, Alan,
Many thanks.
Regards
Andy
TCX_Driver
Hi Gents !
The problem was the box itself. I have a new box and its picking up all the flights I would expect it to.
My only problem now is that the aircraft registration, type, route & airline are not showing.
Any ideas ?
Thanks again for all your help.
Regards
Andy
TCX_Driver
Is that for all aircraft or just some. Do you have the those columns activated in Preferences
If it is for just some have you updated that database?
File/Database Explorer/Database Updates/Update all records/Start Update. You will see a green progress bar going left to right and when it reaches the end will start the process. When finished you will be advised to close down and restart and on restarting will finish the Update process.
To check all went well go to File/Database Explorer/Tables/Aircraft and you should see around 237829 rows in Xms
Alan
Have done a database download update?
If not, go to File->Database Explorer ->Database Updates, select: update all records (overwrites...) and click update. Once the db is downloaded and processed close software and open it again.
If you have installed ANRB Software to the "program files" folder structur you should uninstall the software, manually remove all traces (use search and after it is finished delete all findings, empty trashcan). Then reboot system and install to a folder like C:\Radarbox or C:\AirNav Systems
Ingo
Thanks again guys !
Andy
Alan/Ingo
It is for all aircraft. I have gone into database explorer but there is option to update database.
When I first installed to program this morning everything was fine, when I restarted it on my return home the problem occurred.
Regards
Andy
Andy,
to which folder have you installed the software?
Ingo
Ingo,
It is installed to C: Program files (x86) AirNav Systems.
It turns out I was connected to the network when I first installed it this morning hence I could see all registrations/routes etc.
Its Radarbox 4.03 if that makes any difference ?
Regards
Andy
Andy,
You are in the program files location and the Windows Virtual Store causes problems I would suggest that you delete the installation including any orphan files left behind and the install V5.00.72 http://www.airnavsystems.com/download/ANRB/ANRB50072Setup.exe
Install to c;\airnav or the like to avoind the virtual store issue
Alan
Thanks Alan,
I'll give that a go.
Regards,
Andy
Andy,
in addition to Alans post: after you have uninstalled the Software and and removing all orphan files (use search, ctrl+a, delete, then empty the trashcan) you should reboot your system before you install the software again.
Ingo
Thanks Ingo.
Regards
Andy
Gents many thanks !
Reinstalled to its own file as you said and working perfectly !
Ready for Orlando next week.
Kind Regards.
Andy
TCX_Driver
Great Andy
Remember to update the database. A new on available each day with and addition/deletions/amendments made the previous 24 hours.
Alan