AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: Caonjohns40d on March 13, 2016, 09:50:57 PM

Title: Hello it's been a long time!!
Post by: Caonjohns40d on March 13, 2016, 09:50:57 PM
Hi All great to see some familiar names on here still.

Well I have been absent for quite some time due to family issues etc etc. The box has always run 24/7 I just have not had the opportunity to look at it much nor keep up to date with developments.

However recently retired this is another of my hobbies I'm getting back; so can someone update me on what the heck RTL Dongles and Radarbox Commstations are please?

John
Title: Re: Hello it's been a long time!!
Post by: RodBearden on March 14, 2016, 01:46:10 AM
Hi John - welcome back! I see you've lost an N from your username - adopting  a sleeker styling!

The Commstation is the new AirNav box to replace the original - capable of doing multilateration at last. I believe it's still officially in Beta testing at the moment, so there hasn't been a formal announcement. It explains why we are now seeing non-ADS-B aircraft like Embraers and Dash-8s on the network, though at the moment they seem to hover around for ages - I hope that's being worked on.

As to these dongles, they are low-cost ADS-B receivers - more than that, I haven't a clue - I'm sure somebody will do a beginners' guide for us one day.

Stay tuned!
Title: Re: Hello it's been a long time!!
Post by: neroon79 on March 14, 2016, 04:45:54 AM
About the dongles:

They were originally designed to receive terestial television DVB-T(2). Due to the fact, that some of them are using a SDR= Software Defined Radio with a maximum reception frequency of up to 2000MHz they can be used for ADS-B reception too. To do so, alternative drivers are needed to gain full access to the SDR of the dongle. Version 6 ANRB Software is capable to directly work with these dongles if alternative drivers are already installed.

I have a couple of days off from work during the second half of this week. Maybe I'm doing a short guide then...

Ingo
Title: Re: Hello it's been a long time!!
Post by: Runway 31 on March 14, 2016, 07:57:30 AM
Rod,

The non-plotters and Dash 8's you mention are nothing to do with the comstation.  I believe they are break throughts from Planeplotter feeds.

Alan
Title: Re: Hello it's been a long time!!
Post by: Canonjohns40D on March 14, 2016, 08:42:47 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. And a mystery straight off?

I have Rod lost an n and show as a new member. While I can also see the full name with hero member.

I clearly duplicated my membership trying to get back onboard.!!

Thanks for the initial responses. I,ll hang around and hope to pick up the drift as I go along.

John
Title: Re: Hello it's been a long time!!
Post by: Runway 31 on March 14, 2016, 08:49:00 AM
You appear to be back as the old one now John

Alan