AirNav Systems Forum

AirNav Radar => AirNav Radar Discussion => Topic started by: thedouth on August 19, 2016, 02:57:33 PM

Title: Signal Problems
Post by: thedouth on August 19, 2016, 02:57:33 PM
I have recently moved house . I have set up my radarbox on the second floor next to a window . I pick up hardly any planes unless the window is wide open . The window frames are steel . Would this affect my antenna signal . Any ideas please
Title: Re: Signal Problems
Post by: neroon79 on August 19, 2016, 03:34:41 PM
A window frame made of steel alone won't be a problem. Unfortunately you might have a window which had been coated with a thin layer of metal to block out UV and IR radiation. This is done to reduce the "solar heating" of rooms during the summer and to keep the IR radiation in the room during the winter. Disadvantage: it blocks almost all VHF transmissions too.

Ingo
Title: Re: Signal Problems
Post by: thedouth on August 19, 2016, 03:52:20 PM
Could I put the antenna onto the outside of the frame and use the steel as a plate, that way the window wont have to stay wide open
Title: Re: Signal Problems
Post by: Runway 31 on August 19, 2016, 04:00:27 PM
That should be OK as long as the antenna is vertical, give it a go and see how it goes

Alan
Title: Re: Signal Problems
Post by: thedouth on August 19, 2016, 04:05:40 PM
Thanks Alan, I shall give it a go . How about being on the inside of the frame, Would that work also
Title: Re: Signal Problems
Post by: neroon79 on August 19, 2016, 04:20:23 PM
I fear that putting it inside will result in no airframes received. But I would try it out anyway, just in case.

Ingo
Title: Re: Signal Problems
Post by: thedouth on August 19, 2016, 04:40:30 PM
Thanks for your replies Ingo. I will try inside and outside

Ben
Title: Re: Signal Problems
Post by: thedouth on August 20, 2016, 08:07:06 AM
Just to confirm that it works fine with the antenna on the outside on the window frame. Thanks for your input

Ben
Title: Re: Signal Problems
Post by: Runway 31 on August 20, 2016, 08:18:44 AM
Thanks for advising, just remember that the antenna is not weather resistant, it doesn't like rain

Alan
Title: Re: Signal Problems
Post by: thedouth on August 20, 2016, 08:38:02 AM
Don't worry I don't leave it out there lol

Ben